Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waveney 44-014 St. Patrick color question  (Read 1049 times)

Tim Logan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lifeboats & Tugs
Waveney 44-014 St. Patrick color question
« on: December 09, 2021, 06:43:00 pm »

In the two pictures below of 44-014 St. Patrick, one picture depicts a very dark gray, almost black deck. The other picture shows a much lighter grey. Is this just caused by the photos themselves or at one time might the deck have been the very dark grey as compared to the more traditional light grey?
  Also one picture seems to show nonskid surfaces on the cabin roofs whereas the other does not. Were they nonskid surfaces a removable material, such as rubber, or were they a painted on granular type of paint? Thank you for any help you might offer

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waveney 44-014 St. Patrick color question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 07:51:31 pm »

hi Tim, Just had another look at the Waveney, yes, there is discolouration in the nooks and crannies of the fairleads I suppose that this is normal for a fast afloat boat open to all weathers. Do not know how you can replicate bronze oxidation/staining, bill

Tim Logan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lifeboats & Tugs
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 07:56:53 pm »

Hi Bill -
  No I don't know how. I work with artist oils when I weather so I can pretty much create any look that I want. The big problem for me is getting good photographs of areas such as you described that might be subject to a little weathering. By the way what are your thoughts about my question on whether or not some decks were much darker than other decks? Those two pictures above seemed very different to me but my first inclination would be to think it's the lighting or the photograph rather than the actual color of the deck. What do you think?

RST

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 08:31:57 pm »

Does the lettering on the survivors cabin look a bit different to you also or is it my screen?  Where did the pics come from for each?

Tim Logan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lifeboats & Tugs
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 09:13:27 pm »

The letters are different - not your screen. I have seen different letters in a number of pictures. I don't remember offhand where these pictures came from but some were sent to me through the Facebook Waveney group and others are from the Nicholas Leach Waveney book - some from other modelers. I was actually able to get some information from the daughter of a St. Patrick's coxswain on the crews kit colors! I felt remarkably lucky that she shared a bit of info with me. I have so many Waveney pictures now that I've lost track lol. I'll have to do some sorting.
  I have a question for you. I recently quit using Facebook, thinking that just as much information could be shared from groups like this rather than generalized social media. The nature of Facebook type medias causes me to waste a lot of time online.  But I was wondering - have you used both this group as well as the Facebook Model/Mayhem group? And if so which group do you find more active? Unless I'm not understanding this group correctly, it seems that there's much more activity on the Facebook groups. I certainly could be wrong! Plus there are so many specialty groups on Facebook like, for example, a group devoted to the Waveney 44. Im asking because I'm toying with cranking up Facebook again.

RST

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 09:20:13 pm »

Hi Tim, if you're asking me, you're asking the wrong person.  I don't touch facebook, not even with someone else's bargepole.

...It was just an interesting post from you as I have on the back-bench an ex-Waveney pilot boat so I've been looking at a lot of pictures of them for at least 6 months.  I'm no expert though, just an interested voyeur but every boat seems a little bit different it's interesting to see them pictured.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.