Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amati Riva Aquarama - First Wooden Hull Build  (Read 2698 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Amati Riva Aquarama - First Wooden Hull Build
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2022, 01:59:23 pm »

Hi Roger, pleased the scrapers are working well, and yes, the curved one is great for the bow area.  I think they give a flatter surface, and that pays dividends when the varnish layers are applied, less undulations and better reflections..!  And yes to the Z-Poxy, I just felt it would seal the wood with an impermeable layer, and heavily thinned it to penetrate well.  I think it's not fully clear, it has a brown tint, so I applied it then sanded it quite heavily, 400 and 600 grit used wet.  I then used thinned International Yacht Varnish which also has an amber tint.  But I'm happy with the result, in the sunlight the finish really shows off the mahogany grain beautifully.

Look forward to seeing progress.
David.

Merlin

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2023, 03:19:49 pm »

Nearly complete ready for its maiden voyage, most complex and difficult build I have undertaken....

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2023, 04:13:32 pm »

Hi Roger

Excellent result..!  The Riva is really looking the part, great work on the varnishing and finishing. Tricky build but you must be very pleased with the result.  Look forward to hearing how she behaves on the water.

David.

Merlin

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2023, 12:49:59 pm »

Maiden voyage completed on a cold and foggy morning... Performs very well with a great bow wave. no water ingress I can see butprobably needs a little more weight at the back as the 2x 2,200mAh Lipos are relatively light. The throttle settings on the transmitter requires adjustment as 60% should be sufficient for maximum speed and are therefore too coarse. Altogether am pleased with the results.... :-))

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2023, 03:13:31 pm »

Excellent..!  I think the Amati Aquarama design / build seems quite bow heavy despite all attempts to reduce weight, its just where the mass is... Maybe its because the kit is firstly a static model.  I fitted 3,000mAh lipos to add a bit more weight toward the stern.  But at low speed the bow still runs quite low, once a bit of throttle is applied its OK as the bow starts to lift.  I'm amazed at the power of the modestly sized brushless motors, so not surprised you're limiting to 60%, I'm on a similar reduction.

Best regards
David.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.