Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a R/C set  (Read 1143 times)

Railbob

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Suggestions for a R/C set
« on: December 18, 2021, 05:04:02 pm »

Hi, my next build is going to be a 4 screw Trumpeter Hood, now this is my first time that I'll have independent drives for Port/Starboard shafts and I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should be looking for in an R/C set. I'll have a budget of around £100 for the set and about £100 for the ESC's ( I'll probably stick with Mtronik Vipers) Any suggestions are very welcome.

Railbob

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
Re: Suggestions for a R/C set
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 08:30:07 pm »

Plenty of handsets to pick from ranging from Spectrum to RadioLink and Futaba or Graupner depending on how many channels you require.
As per my Richeleiu battleship i have 4 motors with each pair on a single speed controller (mtroniks 40amp) usually run a 4 channel setup, Action electronics do a nice mixer too.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 09:12:12 am »

Plenty of handsets to pick from ranging from Spectrum to RadioLink and Futaba or Graupner depending on how many channels you require.
As per my Richeleiu battleship i have 4 motors with each pair on a single speed controller (mtroniks 40amp) usually run a 4 channel setup, Action electronics do a nice mixer too.

Jay
For speed c0ntrol and steering within the budget, what he said.  The Hobbyking T4A gives 4 channels and is simple and basic enough to use switches for servo reverse and mechanical sliders for trims, rather than having to plug it into a PC.  It uses rechargeables as well, and has a charging port.  Downside, it uses 8 cells.  No on board mixing, so a hardware mixer would be needed else steering would become a problem.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peter57

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 10:57:00 am »

I have been using a RadioLink T8FB Tx for a while, linked with R8EF receivers in several models. The Tx has switches to reverse 4 channels and is quite a low cost system. As Jay mentioned I would also consider a mixer in your model, unless you are planning to use a twin stick system.

Peter

Railbob

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 03:37:38 pm »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now seeing as I'm a complete R/C illiterate would someone be able to explain some of the terminology i.e. "Mixer" LOL

Railbob

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 04:13:30 pm »

Not sure what the latest Radiolink
Sets are like, but I have an early 4
Chann that is a solid basic set, but
I have found that full throw on throttle
goes beyond the parameters of the
Mtronics Esc's and causes them to shut
down until the stick is eased back quite a
way and then you can throttle up again.
Swapping to Spektrum Radio and Rx, no
Problem. Anyone else had this happen?
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Peter57

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 05:09:06 pm »

I am sure many on this forum can give better explanations of mixers, but here is an attempt.

The ones I have used connect to the ESCs and rudder servo and the throttle and steering channels on the receiver. The system then changes the speed of one of the motors in response to a turn. I have one in a fast patrol type boat which is set up to slow the inside motor in a turn. Another system I have in a landing craft is set up to reverse one of the motors when turning as this model does not have a rudder.

Hope this helps.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 06:46:00 pm »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now seeing as I'm a complete R/C illiterate would someone be able to explain some of the terminology i.e. "Mixer" LOL

Railbob

Mixers come in many forms - my wife uses them to make cakes, recording studios use them to make records, and we use them to combine functions from the radio transmitter. I have one model in which the twin motors are semi-independent, in that the throttle stick controls both motors together, and the same sticking used side by side makes one go forward and the other go in reverse. The mix is done in the transmitter, there is no on-board mixer in the model. The transmitter is a £40.00 FySky Fs i6 - there is no need for an expensive radio to mix functions these days.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.