Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanned Old Model Boat Magazines  (Read 26459 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scanning Old Model Boat Magazines
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2021, 05:55:44 pm »

Perhaps a discount for anybody with a digital subscription buying a paper plan associated with one of their issues?

Quite apart from the extra admin involved, MyTimeMeda publish the magazine but Sarik sell the plans. Plus it seems a bit hit and miss which free plans make it into the plans service anyway - many don't. MTM no longer seem to run a retail operation as such. Most of their 'staff' seem to be contract freelances now. I think the only way you could include a free plan with the digital sub is to allow the subscriber to access a PDF file which can be printed out at home or taken to a copy shop. I'm told that one reason the digital sub is cheaper than the print edition is because it doesn't include the free plans.

With feature plans it has always been the case that you need to buy the plan separately although partial reproductions have been included in the article to give an idea of what they are like.

I too have never understood in days gone by why purchasing the plan didn't include the accompanying construction article. It just seems to have been an accident of history.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2021, 06:38:47 pm »

I too have never understood in days gone by why purchasing the plan didn't include the accompanying construction article. It just seems to have been an accident of history.

Colin

It could be that the reason the feature article hasn't been included with plans was that in the 1950's and 60's copying a few pages of type was not as easy. No scanners, no laser/inkjet/dotmatrix printers and no photocopiers.  I am not sure what hard copy they had back then but once set up the system never changed. For the few plans sold it was probably not worth doing anything about it.

I understand the argument about plans & copyright (even though it make little sense to me) but that doesn't excuse failing to make sure the articles are sensible for digital subscribers. If they want digital subscriptions then they need to make a little effort to make the magazine better for us.

I also suspect that the profit margin on digital subscriptions is higher than print issues with all the associated distribution costs.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2021, 07:07:56 pm »

Hi to respond to my word 'noticeable'  I thought the digital issue was too dear.  A few years ago there was an offer of £5 for a year on digital and I bought that as I would be on a long holiday and it gave me access that I used to have to previous issues.  When there was a distribution or some such problem a few years ago and the free plan did not get issued with the magazine.  There was an offer of a free download of the plan which would have meant paying for the printing but at least you got to see the plan.
If I want to buy the same plan later it is a minimum of £12.50.  But it is printed on better quality paper at least. It maybe time to re-think exactly what you are buying with a magazine, outside my ability anyway.

I do like to pick up a magazine to read but it is only habit and the convenience of a small tablet is not quite the same and a 15 inch laptop too much.
The very large numbers of adverts contained in the model railway magazines are surely at least a month or more out of date when looking at a printed magazine so going on-line gives an up to date look at what is being advertised.  I can see the argument that you might not have thought of that company for an item.

I tried to follow a conversion of some model railway rolling stock in one magazine / recommendation.  Perhaps it was an old article?  I tried to buy the suggested shopping list but failed completely, I did get a response from the magazine but in the end it was of no use.  I never received a single response from a supplier, I was a beginner in this particular field and needed advice.  I do hope there is more help on the model boating side as otherwise, as they say 'We are doomed'.
Best regards
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2021, 07:27:13 pm »

Hi Tug I think a previous Model Boats editor told me that the take up on plans that had to be payed for was around 40, bearing in mind the distribution figures were at 15,000+ this is not very many.  Some of the Model Boat early free plans have spawned many models Dave Metcalf ones especially and of course G.G.

A few years ago I was very surprised when using the Model Boat plans service I received my plans printed by Traplet now Sarik.  So M.B. had out-sourced their plans printing service.  Int Marine Modelling was also available then so an anouncement would have curtailed speculation.  In general the trade is in printed paper you can have whatever subjects you want on this paper as long as you are willing to pay for it.

A point one of our frequent forum posters has made is that if you want our magazine to survive then take out a subscription as the High Street retailers will take out most of the profit for themselves.  Just browsing and paying for the odd edition that takes your fancy will soon put the magazine into past memory.  If they get more of the purchase price then it might get better quality paper etc.

Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2021, 03:19:39 am »

Sample articles .... shouldn't break too many laws!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2021, 07:34:59 am »

Just guessing - May 1980?
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2021, 10:54:34 am »

Just guessing - May 1980?

The cover & contents are in post 2.

Martin

Great to see the old articles. Unfortunate that I start to read them & then get ready to read the next page.............................

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2021, 11:44:45 am »

Martin, when scanning the pirate copies (Or any others), put a black sheet behind the sheet you're scanning, it cuts down on the bleed through from the back side of that scan. %)

One great advantage of "Electronically stored Mags.", It don't half save on shelf space. !950 - 1965, 100mm x 100mm x 15mm.

Regards   Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2021, 12:00:18 pm »

The cover & contents are in post 2.

Martin

Post 27, when I bothered to check. At least I got it right from a search of my own magazine index.

Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2021, 12:53:30 pm »

Martin, when scanning the pirate copies (Or any others), put a black sheet behind the sheet you're scanning, it cuts down on the bleed through from the back side of that scan. %)

Great tip, thanks!  :-))
( I've orders more mags off fleaBay! )

Martin
Great to see the old articles. Unfortunate that I start to read them & then get ready to read the next page.............................

.... Email me!   ok2

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2021, 01:25:04 pm »

" put a black sheet behind the sheet you're scanning, it cuts down on the bleed through" ......

Top tip :-)) .....thanks Ian

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2021, 01:35:26 pm »

Look what the postie just brought!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2021, 02:17:31 pm »

the Meccano Magazine is on-line complete, adverts as well.  The humour at the last pages will make you cringe!
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2021, 03:35:56 pm »

the Meccano Magazine is on-line complete, adverts as well.  The humour at the last pages will make you cringe!
Roy

Link?   :-)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2021, 04:04:33 pm »

Meccano Link.

MM Issues (free.fr)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2021, 04:52:47 pm »

Meccano Link.

MM Issues (free.fr)

Wow!  That is a real passion project!   :o

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2021, 12:13:53 am »

Hi I have found this Meccano magazine page by page viewing.
http://meccano.magazines.free.fr/covers.htm
Roy

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2021, 01:07:55 am »

Wow, what a superb link. Virtually a hundred years of modeling info and fascinating articles. I'm set for life with that.
Thank you so very much for posting it.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2021, 04:20:14 am »

How many times did you burn your hand on an IC engine?   {-)

HP engine, Irvine engines, Enya engines,
Unit Steam engines,
Conway Marine Press

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2021, 08:31:46 am »

Hi Chas glad you liked the link which I think I have duplicated.  Did you know that towards the end Vic Smeed was editor of Meccano Magazine?  Also a fellow club member was another editor snd I hsd the pleasure of introducing them to each other at one of our club exhibitions some years ago now. 

I am also a member of the West London Meccano Society but perhaps more of a fellow traveller.  They have attended in force at our annual exhibitions in St. Albans for 20 years and we have 3 big classrooms full of Meccano models.  I hope we might be able to put the exhibition on again in 2022.
regards
Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2021, 09:02:55 am »

Hi I have found this Meccano magazine page by page viewing.
http://meccano.magazines.free.fr/covers.htm
Roy

To do something like that either takes a team or a very dedicated person.

Assuming we had copyright holders permission I would be willing to be a team member for model boating mags although someone would need to lend me the mags to scan.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2021, 09:13:21 am »

These are from December1975. Notice the exhibition is closed on Sunday (remember that?)
Don't Assume Check

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2021, 09:19:34 am »

To do something like that either takes a team or a very dedicated person.

Assuming we had copyright holders permission I would be willing to be a team member for model boating mags although someone would need to lend me the mags to scan.

A very dedicated team as would be nearly 70,000 pages. When I had access to a good and quick scanning machine I did think about it, but decided that really the interest would probably not be worth the effort, hence I just ended up scanning the front covers of all the MB mags, and even that took some doing. I Tthink full permissions might be difficult as they are available on line from 2007.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2021, 09:21:33 am »

A couple of years ago I came across some kits for sale out of the Covid country which were made up from free plans from Model Boats magazine when the free plan was in 2 colours.  They were not expensive until you try and bring them into the U.K.
Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2021, 09:59:43 am »

Interesting to see the change in prices.

The Sanwa 3-channel set is over £750 in current money, whilst entrance to the ME exhibition was under four quid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 21 queries.