Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech jargon  (Read 1334 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Tech jargon
« on: December 23, 2021, 11:36:20 am »

Hi all just been updated (graded?) with my my Virgin 'all-in' service.  Apart from losing all your films stored there is no going back.  I was surveyed as to 'How did we do'?  Well not being one to hide under a bushel etc I did ask if there were any adults to oversee what the marketing team were doing.

I also found out that when you see the word 'Intuitive' as to ease of use, thr real meaning is they could not be bothered to print the instructions.

Fortunately the man that does the card board boxes, probably an adult, had sneaked in a a picture of the remote control hidden under the box lid.   I have unravelled most of the mysteries now and to be honest I can't complain about the customer service part of Virgin, it is very good.  Well they even suffer my questions and you can also get through to them on their call number.
I just wish the average age of those running things was higher.
Regards
Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Tech jargon
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 12:17:31 pm »

I just wish the average age of those running things was higher.

I sometimes wonder if there is a policy where the age of customer support staff is not allowed to exceed their IQ  %) {-)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 03:43:20 pm »

My beef with Virgin is with their TV streaming all too often goes on the blink .  In the middle of something, suddenly a blank screen and after a minute a screen message along the lines of   " whoops there seems to be a problem with this channel, if it persists try re-booting the box". What they really mean is, someone somewhere has tripped over a cable and pulled the plug out, if we eventually discover who where and when we will shove it back in and your service will resume.  From experience this could be from a few minutes to many hours.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 10:13:54 pm »

Not to be outdone with technology Roy, .......I purchased a new mobile phone [the old one was 2G & would not upload/download the Government QR code app].........an app is I have since found is an abbreviation for application, however this is different application thing, to the letter you hand wrote all of those years ago  to apply for your 1st Job

This new application app is a technology type thing............. :P

NSW last night re-introduced QR code logins [they wrote a new Public Health Order for the 15th of December stating that QR code log-ins were no longer required], but yesterday we had 5000+ new Covid case confirmations, hence the back-flip, which last week, they [the Politicians] said they would not do  ....I hope our Peter is wearing his mask when he tracks out to the letter box by his front gate

So being tech savvy, I am confident in using my new mobile phone to log-in & log-out when attending Coles or Liquorland  :P , but the problem I have is my new mobile phone came in a white cardboard box, within a smaller white cardboard box that opened in a different direction, then yes, you guessed it another yet smaller close fitting white box....but no instructions......I believe intuitive was a word you mentioned earlier

Ah yes the problem, I cannot adjust the length duration of the ring time before it cuts-in or maybe cuts-out to leave a missed call notification of the glass screen, which is magically is also a keyboard that defies use by 10 thumbs

So as previously mentioned and being tech savy, I asked Mr Google for a simple answer to my telephone ring time duration issue....appears Mr Google is not all that tech savvy, as the instructions are not actually clear, a better description could be darkened or muddied  :o  thinking about this more, the Google instruction are just plain wrong  <*<

Thankfully I will surely be seeing some grandchildren over the next days who will undoubtedly use some intensively intuitively fast finger tapping & alter the electronic telephone settings

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 11:37:09 pm »

My favourite genre of Internet forum messages are older gentlemen that can't work out tv remotes  ;)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 12:26:27 am »

Hi andyn I was working on computers when you were, well doing whatever you do!  We had proper manuals for all the peripherals and processors.  You can't look at a row of 2 dozen switches and some neon lights without some instructions.

We had to learn how it all worked and how to write a programme (note the spelling).  All this has to be hidden from your generation in case you threw a wobbly or complained you were being stressed.  I have sat all night trying to ask a 16 foot long computer the right question so I could find out what the fault was.

You could not have what you have now without going through what was then.  So dinosaurs such as I am, still want to operate the various tech gadgets and can only assume that the tweenies in the marketting like to keep their secrets close.  A bit of perpetuating the mystery they feel masters of, very sad, because the next lot that comes along will have them scratching their intuition as well.

However I shall not hold it against you just hope you live long enough to suffer as well!
Regards
Roy

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 01:53:11 am »

Yes Derek.   Thank goodness for grandchildren and their knowledge of the inner workings of phones and laptops not forgetting tv remotes.   Even her mum had to ask about one the other day!  Our son is so far into programming that it is no good asking him.  <:(

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 09:59:29 am »

The only way to get the right answer from Google is to ask it the right question, using the right words.  A downside is that Google will go out of its way to misinterpret the question and give an uncountable number of answers on a totally different subject (but using some of your words).  The further downside of that is that if you know the right words, you probably know the answer anyway, and don't need Google.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 11:18:42 am »

Sounds like someone at Goggle has watched the Morecambe and Wise?Andre Provost episode. Why do the Electronics techies assume everyone has access to T'internet regarding operating instructions for their devices? Same with mobile phones for Covid certs?
 Many years ago, when involved with the Tartongue Swinestein, Chief electronics engineer complained about the 1/2" (12.7mm) thick manual supplied which not only told you how to switch it on but also dealt with basic(?) program(mme)ing. Having said that, the manual only covered English

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.