Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ  (Read 35432 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 01:08:36 pm »

Hi Tim,

Surprised you've not had loads of suggestions re-varnish. After using Ronseal type products, I now use Humbrol Cote - either Satin or Matt as appropraite. I think these give a better finish, unless you put the Ronseal on very thinly. So far I have brushed them as my airbrush technique was not so good, but I may try airbrush on the curent build, having successfully got the colour on with the airbrush ;D

Barrie

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 01:41:15 pm »

Hi Barrie,

Thanks for that - I have some Satin Coat, so I will try that.

I might get SWMBO to take me to get an airbrush because my Paintbrush technique is absolutely cruddy.

Do you need to thin the Humbrol coat? If so, how much?

See you at the lake sometime

Tim
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 05:11:55 pm »

Tim

Not for brushing - you do have to stir it well though!

Barrie

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 10:48:15 pm »

Well, I have got the hull painted, and the deck hatch built and painted - though I do want to add an extra catch to it. It was my first outing with the airbrush. Some success. The hull is painted and varnished - not perfect but not too bad.

I have got the props mounted - I used a syringe to pack the shafts with grease, so they should seal. Here's where we are up to:

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 10:53:03 pm »

Got a very funny look in Boots trying to buy a syringe - very suspicious when I asked for it "What do you want it for" - poor bloke did relax when I said "Would you believe filling a tube with grease" Ooooh eerrrr Missus!!

Here is the deck hatch - I think perhaps the weathering of the planks is a bit strong, but the green is the first outing of the airbrush:

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 10:59:03 pm »

Lookin Great Tim :)

Tis a fine looking vessel

Keep the updates coming!

Steve ;)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 10:06:35 pm »

Not looking so fine today - there have been a couple of cock-ups on the paintwork that need reworking.

However, I have got the radio installed and the thing is now in the bath soaking. So far there are no leaks. I have got some idea of the ballast required. I am looking at about 6KG in the bow and 500g in the stern to pull it down to the waterline, though this will need to be reviewed when we get the superstructure onto the thing.

Wom.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

warspite

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2006, 10:49:09 pm »

syringes - i dont know if any one else has used these before, they come free with the childrens paracetamol suspension, i use it with a thick grease and push the end right up to the prop shaft casing with the shaft removed, i put my finger over the end and apply the grease until i feel it back pressure and then allow a small amount to exit, i then place my finger over one end and insert the shaft so that any excess comes out of the shaft end, basic really, also no embarassing looks from staff and onlookers.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2006, 10:58:21 pm »

Hi Warspite,

Our brats are a little old for paracetamol syrup, so that source is not available, however I got a syringe from Boots for dosing babies - £1.12, so the shafts are packed with grease ready to go.

Wom.

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 09:46:25 am »

Hiya Wombat.
I just took a look at your blog, well done!!!!  I think making pdf instructions is a brilliant idea too - really good.  Like me you haven't built many models before but as has already been said, it looks like you're doing really really well.  You may feel a bit out of your depth sometimes but you mention things on your site that I certainly don't know about - so you're definately not the least knowledgable on here! ;D
I wish my model had instructions as clear as the ones you're doing as you go along.  Can you build a Slo Mo Shun next please?  It's causing me a right headache at times.  The thing that relatively inexperienced modelllers like you and me need to remember though is that we're using materials, tools and building methods we've never used before, sometimes all at the same time - we're on a steep learning curve, and sometimes things are going to go wrong.  Luckily we have enough helping hands on this site to get us through.
Right, I'm off. D'you know where I can get some methanol? I tried WHSmith but they were out of stock! :D
Julian.

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 05:22:49 pm »

Electrics are neat Tim  ;)

Makes a change not to see spaghetti , so often seen in models ( mine included ).........
mama mia, says Marco !

Nice to have the space to lay it out.

Keep up the good work

Steve ;)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 06:23:32 pm »

Hi Orby,

Been watching the build of your SLo-Mo-Shun - it looks awfully scary, all that wood  :o

I would have said you were a very experienced modeller looking at the results - it will be a while before I attempt anything like that. I was gutted to read about the disaster with the epoxy - still I guess there is a way back. Incidentally I was taught the trick of using glass as a scraper at school - "Lurch" the woodwork teacher used to keep some handy for us to use.

Methanol - have you considered trying Cheap-Save's own brand Vodka? :P :P ;D Seriously, Model Technics do it for people who want to mix their own glow-fuel. £7 for a gallon.

Documenting the build is hard work - but it helps me work on my writing skills, essential for someone who has to communicate difficult ideas at work. Also, because as you say we are on a steep learning curve, it helps me to understand to understand what I have done and how to improve things next time. And it may help others...

Hi Steve,

I have a bit of an obsession with neat wiring - if anything the tighter the space, the more need to keep the wiring neat IMHO. Tyraps are a worthwhile investment. I suppose spending too much time inside cabinets full of spaghetti trying to fault-find has made me focus on tidy wiring - especially when said spaghetti is running a 600kV test set.

Saying that, I didn't route the RC control cables too neatly - I was going to sticky them onto the mount, but was short of length.

Also, if it wasn't tidy, the first and second deckhands (both called Juan: Juan One and Juan Two) would have explained the error of my ways with hose wrenches.

Only problem with Aziz's wiring is that I went OTT on the cable, running everything in 30A cable.

Tim the Wombat

warspite

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2006, 11:38:57 pm »

Wombat

That paracetomol suspension does not have to be just for the kids, tastes like C@#P but as it is liquid it is absorbed quicker so getting rid of the headache caused by any boat build problem takes have the time.

OUCH got another splinter scratching my head

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 08:48:57 pm »

I prefer tablets - just old-fashioned I guess.

As an FYI for you all, WWW.floatingwombat.me.uk will be down for a few days as we move service provider. SWMBO is handling all the details. I will let you know when the DNS records have been moved and the site is back up.

Tim the Wombat

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2006, 09:46:08 pm »

OK guys - bad news, the web site is back up and runnig so you can have the pants bored off you again. Actually no, that is not true, as there are some pics from Dave Smith in Canada of his Aziz.

It is official, I am fed up - I have spent the last two weeks ****ing around with the paintwork. No sooner do I get one bit sorted then the ****-up Fairy pays another call. I loused up the waterslide transfers, the satin coat wouldn't adhere to the paint coat and I couldn't get the decks to look uniform.

Anyway Jackie at Model Slipway sent me some more transfers and lo-and-behold I louse those up as well.  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

I didn't have the gall to ask for some more after I was so kindly given a new set. So I had to make up some more for myself. This is the net result....

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2006, 10:31:00 pm »

Well nearly three weeks this time. More pratting about with the paint trying to get it right. I bought a cheap and cheerful compressor for the airbrush - at last, progress!

I have started building the superstructure - got the lower level and funnels done. Also I can start the build up process now.

It has had its first outing on the water - the boat club venetian night. No-one told me it was a competition - not only had I made no preparation. If that wasn't bad enough could I steer it, could I b*****y!! What an embarrasment - I couldn't get it between the bouys, then got it 90 degrees off and took oner of the buoys out - I came fifth out of six - rather too charitable I thought.

Still, it floated ok - didn't sink. Only problem is the rudders seemed very unresponsive. I think I need to improve the throw and perhaps mix the rudder position into the motors (OK so I have a computer set - all the gear, no idea!)

Tim the Wombat

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2006, 08:51:13 pm »

Well, here I am pushing it back up the list. There has been a reasonable amount of progress now I have done sulking about not being able to drive the thing.

The paint has been tidied up - much rubbing down and so forth. Had to buy another can of paint though (mutter mutter grumble gripe) - decanted some off and used it with the airbrush because there is much better control. Incidentally I got a compressor from RDG tools. It has made a big difference and should pay for itself pretty quickly.

I'm on the look out for model number two, also thinking about a scratchbuild, possibly something derived from a fireboat.

Anyway, back to Aziz, got the deck rails in place and started getting some of the fittings in place  - progress is being made.

Tim the Wombat

PS before anyone asks it is Model Boat Mayhem on the computer

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2006, 04:41:45 pm »

Gosh, I must be sickening for something - given how frequently I am updating this thing. OK not so much big progress, but I have been playing a bit. I have been adding some details onto the life raft cradles - handles and inflation ropes. I have wethered the cover for the deck boat and added outboard marks. Also I have added handles onto the deck hatches. I would welcome comments pointing me in the right direction

Tim the Wombat

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2006, 04:19:33 pm »

I'm devastated - nobody is talking to me  :'(  :'(  :'(

I shall sit here and sulk, unless some does!!!!! And if that doesn't work it is down to garden to eat worms until I die and then you will all be sorry.

Still, progress is still being made - I have tried air-brushing artists acrylics - it tends to block the brush, so it may be better to use a double action brush rather than a single action - you can then reasonbly easily keep the paint flowing - I had to keep adjusting the flow knob to keep things going. Here is the result on the deck boat

I have made some updates to the tugger winches to improve the paintwork. Also built the anchor windlass and the waterfall winch. I am quite pleased with the results of the build on those - the weathering looks reasonable, particulrly the anchor chain. More details on the blog.....

Tim the Wombat

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2006, 05:58:19 pm »

OK Tim, I''ll talk to you ;D. I have found all acrylics tend to dry very quickly in the airbrush. I have had most success with Revell Airbrush Enamels. They give good coverage, don't dry too quickly and can also be applied by brush for touch up purposes. So far I've only used two matt colours, but am very pleased with them.
My problem is cleaning the brush, or more particularly the jars and pick-up tube. I plan to get some airbrush cleaner at Warwick next weekend.

Barrie

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2006, 05:59:37 pm »

Nice work Tim. You seem to have plenty of patience and skill (softly, softly catchee monkey  ;D )

Is the problem you had with the acrylics down to getting the correct consistency? I have had problems in the past with the airbrush blocking (mostly enamels) and they seem to have been related to not having the paint thin enough. I posted a question on the forum about thinning acrylics and the answer suggested was Tamiya acrylic thinner (I haven't had cause to try it yet but I intend to).

Keep up the good work

Doug
Don't Assume Check

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2006, 06:30:33 pm »

Hi Barrie & Dougal,

I found that the acrylic tended to block the brush, so maybe a double action brush would work better - I also found that even after the thorough cleaning, the nozzle was still blocked by a lump of acrylic medium. I am hoping to find some airbrush compatible acrylic medium - I believe Tamiya do it - We had some from donkey's years ago with a set of Rotring pigments, but it has set after nearly 20 years in the bottle. The problem I had initially was not underthinning, but overthinning - initially I got it far too thin, and even with the detergent to break the surface tension, it would not sit on the surface, but flowed into the contours and blobbed giving a very uneven finish - at the moment it is about the consistancy of single cream, which seems OK, but I think the finish needs a little work.

Perhaps in future the secret is little and often.

I am using the Revell Airbrush enamels - mainly Satin White and Matt Grey, though I used satin red for the boat crane and fireboxes. The only problem is that Toymaster in Burton only have a limited range and do not do an airbrush satin coat. I have a couple of bottles of Humbrol bought last time I was in Hobbycraft, but it is difficult getting it thinned right and it settles out really badly. Hmm, I wonder if you can make Sating finish by mixing gloss and matt......

For cleaning, I was getting through a shedload of airbrush cleaner - to minimise the use, because of the smell and the cost, I use white spirit for the bottle cap and pick-up tube. I got some nice long pipecleaners - I dip the end in white spirit and shove it through the pick up tube and it cleans it out a treat. A kitchen towel soaked in white spirit cleans up the outside of the pickup tube and bottle cap. The airbrush cleaner is used for the brush only - now I have the compressor, I turn the brush upside down and spray it with the needle wide open onto newspaper to get rid of the bulk of the paint in the tube. The brush then only needs a couple of quick squirts to get it clean - if ypu blow it through the brush and collect on a towel it can be used to clean off any stuff on the outside of the brush.

I don't know about skill Doug - but certainly I am learning patience. The problem with the photos is that they do not really show up the scabby bits and the bodges - I am hoping that others will see my mistakes and set me right. Tips on how to do the weathering are particularly welcome as I don't want the boat to look like a toy fresh out of the box - I'm trying to do my best but I don't know what I am missing.

I am hoping the next boat will turn out better - I am dragging SWMBO down to Warwick next week so she can buy me my Christmas present - fittings etc will come for birthday. Hmmmmm it is the 20th anniversary next year  :o , I wonder what I can gouge into her for (all suggestions welcome, though I suspect early parole will not be an option  :P )

Tim the Wombat

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2006, 10:25:15 am »

Tim,

I've found a web source of the Revell enamels that only charges £1.50 postage - cheaper than the petrol into Derby or Burton! Its actually located near Litchfield, but is mail order only.

Try http://www.models2u.co.uk

I currently use white spirit and Homebase Brush Cleaner for cleaning, but the pipe cleaners are a good tip!

Barrie

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 01:55:28 pm »

Tim,
Airbrushing is the most 'fun' I've ever had!  They will handle almost any paint if the correct size nozzles are used.  Having said that, if you should ever find a school that teaches you how to do it right every time, I would very much appreciate knowing it's address!
I have found that the airbrush fraternity is a very 'clannish' group.  Until you've made every mistake possible, they don't seem to want to tell you anything.  I am getting very close to being elligible for membership, only a few more mistakes to make.  After I have become a member, and after I enjoy listening/watching people make the same mistakes I'm making, I plan to tell all the 'secrets' to anyone who asks.  If you live that long (and if I do) I will be happy to answer any questions!
 - 'Doc

PLEASE remember to tell me the address of that school!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2006, 02:22:14 pm »

Tim,

I had a lot of trouble with an airbrush, until I obtained a double action airbrush, since then it has been a pleasure to paint anything, I have found that when mixing the paint enamel or acrylic I use gp thinners and have not had any problems......

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.