Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ  (Read 35444 times)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
Re: My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2006, 09:02:16 pm »

Thanks for your comments all - I guess that means the worm fry-up is off the menu   ;D

Barrie, thanks for the tip - normally getting into Burton is not a problem as I work on the edge of the town and we do our shopping there, but it helps to know of other sources.

Doc, I am getting better with the airbrush - getting a compressor made one heck of a difference, because the pressure is far more consistant. So far I am using it mainly as a small spray gun - I am not using it for detailing yet. Though I made sure I got a brush with a fine spary pattern - it will spray lines down to about 1.5mm (1/32") so I should be able to detail with it.  Let me know about the school if you find it. I haven't made enough mistakes yet, I guess - though mistakes to successes ratio is pretty high.

Roy, A double action brush probably is a lot better, though mine is a pretty good compromise, because it is an internal mix type - I may upgrade at some point, but not until I have got the hang of it better. Pardon my ignorance, but what is GP thinners - is it a type or a brand name?

Tim the Wombat
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2006, 01:16:07 am »

Wombat,

GP thinners is just General Purpose thinners not a specific type, it allows you to use it in all circumstances......

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2006, 04:07:32 pm »

Hi CBR,

thats good to know - maybe I will see if Halfrauds have got any.

Well there is some progress - the deck rails are in now and I am about to put the deck gates and some bits of pipe in. Then it is mount up the rope bows and the winches and the hull will be pretty much finished. After that it is build up the superstructure.

Tim the Wombat

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2006, 07:09:27 pm »

Just found this picture, i think its the same?

Rubbin is Racin!

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2006, 07:23:51 pm »

Hi 2772e,

I'm not sure that is the same ship - though it is a similar type.

I understand that this is Aziz - though sold on, modified and renamed "Red Pelican" - If I ever build another Aziz, it may be an interesting project to modify it to match the "Red Pelican" - it appears to have an extra (or moved) fire monitor, a bow modified for pushing and changes to the aft bollards, deck rails and freeing ports

Tim the Wombat

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2006, 08:00:11 pm »

Gosh !!!  she's seen some service eh ?  I shall have to 'dirty up' mine a bit, to look like that.

I'm working on a Mod at the moment. I read that some members were having a water seepage problem with the rear deck so I am planing a raised rear deck .  I have fitted a lip around the access hole to the motors and steering servos and am constructing a new top section. This should make lifting off the top piece easy for maintenance.

I also plan a remote controlable crane behind the cabins and have the Graupner one from Westbourne models all waiting in the wings

Hope to have some pictures soon 

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2006, 08:22:38 pm »

Hi Kenny,

Yes, I am looking at how to dirty mine up to hide some of the crappy build.

Yes, I found the deck hatch tended to bulge - to get around this I have put a second catch in the middle of the hatch - then if there is a problem, I may be able to get away with some vaseline.

Talking to someone who has built an Aziz, there can be leakage at the anchors because of the bow wave.

Not got any tweaks on mine - though I am thinking about lights and possibly a cabin interior.

Tim the Wombat

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2006, 03:45:48 pm »

[size=114pt]Hi Tim

Thanks for the anchor tip. Never thought of that one.

I'm following your blog (which is great, bye the way) and using the info gained to not fall into any traps or mistakes. Thank you so far.

I am new to boat building, having come over (as it were) from Tamiya trucks. Not being used to glue and waiting, I'm approaching this as a construction from Hell.

I have spent two weeks just getting the Kort tubes lined up with new brass plates and bearings and nuts and bolts. The thought of plonking a dab of glue and waiting a day to see if comes out OK does not appeal to me at all. The rudders were remade into lengthy tubes (above the waterline) and now I have the problem of when I fit the deck it will cover the the linkage arms.

Unfortunately, I have cut the deck sheet to the drawings, so this is scrapped and I have a new sheet of plastic on which to re-cut new access holes. These will then be fitted with raised edges so that my covers will be higher than the flooded deck which will be awash at speed   (probably !!)    ::)

Mind you, the story of the bow thrusters is also fraught with problems.  It turned out that the Robbe thrusters were supplied with pipes that were too short. This was only found out  'After'  the holes were cut in the bow as per the drawings.  The 27mm tubes were found to be commercially un-available so my good lady suggested 'Sterident' tubes'. These turned out to be perfect. (anyone want two dozen tablets in a paper bag ??)    :D

The deck supports were constructed out of purchased RSJ's in plastic as when cutting the strips , I nearly lost a finger with the Stanley knife. These fit into nice channels glued along the inside of the hull, and have not been secured yet, as I need to line them up with the loads being fitted above (when the time comes).

Thank you for listening.  I still reckon it's a fantastic hobby, even though I'm now down by Six hundred quid.   ;D

Cheers...Ken

[/size]

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2006, 04:41:34 pm »

Hi Kenny,

So you reckon I shouldn't give up the blog then?  :o

Today, not a working day so I did a bit of playing. I have painted the spare props. Also I decided the deck hoses looked a little tedious so I have put couplers on the end using small lengths of the 3.2mm rod used for the gate, offcuts of the tube for the body of the coupling and 0.8mm wire for the handles.

Everyone I have talked to about is says that the Kort tubes are a nightmare - I know mine are slightly out of true. I think that you have done the right thing updating the rudder tubes, though the free space under that deck is very tight - I don't think you can get much more length unless you put a power bulge in the deck - as it is, I had to cut chunks out of the deck rails to get enough swing with the as-designed arrangement. I would like to see the pictures of how you have addressed these problems.

Yes, I found the length of the Robbe bow-thruster too short for the drawing position, so I moved mine forward.

Here are some piccies of the hose ends I have done

Tim the Wombat

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2006, 06:48:33 pm »

Don't give up the blog Tim.  I have just re-read it and you are miles ahead of me. It is looking great.

I like your attention to detail as I can't wait to start on these. My model can still be stripped down to bare bits at the moment. I will know I'm on the way up when I start gluing and it's a one way street with no going back. (frightening !!)

Here is a shot which shows the the motor mounts and my channels for deck supports.  You can also make out the Bow thrusters in situ.

I am upgrading the Korts mounting system with new bits as the original design shows defects in the working of the brass.  ( unnecessary hammer marks from my temporary career as a blacksmith )    :)

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2006, 09:22:01 pm »

Hi Tim

I have decided not to raise the rear deck, but to stick to the plans.

How do you stop the water ingress should the deck be flooded. The design shows the wood covered section to be just a close fit in the surround. I guess some sort of gully is needed underneath.

Cheers...Ken

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2006, 04:15:18 pm »

Hi Kenny,

I have gone with the standard design of the hatch fitted snugly inot the opening  on the deck. When I first did it, it tended to bow up in the middle, so I have altered it by putting a latch in the middle, which has made the whole thing a lot more secure. Once the forward end is pushed in place it fits quite firmly, though I may put some strengthening braces in to hold it flush.

Then all it should take, if shipping water is too serious for suck out with a syringe at the end of sailing is to seal the hatch using a bead of vaseline around the support surface for the hatch - this will require supports to be put in at the stern but this is not big deal

Tim the Wombat

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2006, 04:59:45 pm »

I've been staring at the problem all day. The trouble with gullies is the cross beams (two) which spoil the line of flowing water. The only way is to have three 'lift off' sections instead of one.  I have left this section for a re-think. Great hobby eh !!

Now started on the fuse board and power section. I have already fitted five fuse holders and channelled the wiring each side of the boat into dirty wires ( motors ) and radio wire controls ( servos ).  These all go to the bow section away from the motors

Where does the aerial go.  Is it up the funnel for better reception, or wound around the hull

Now thinking of up-grading to 12 volts for the motors, but keeping 6 volts for the electronics. This has come about because I have a 12 volt water pump for the fires hoses and tested it on the 6 volts. What a dribble came forth !!!

Will our motor choices be allright on 12 volts, apart from going like a bat out of you know where.

Cheers...Ken

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2006, 05:40:43 pm »

Kenny,

Are you expecting a large flow of water or just a trickle through the hatch? Unless there is going to be a lot, you could build the gully into the I-beams by putting a lip at the bottom. Then you could drill drain holes through the croos beams without compromising the strength too much.

I haven't decided on the route for the aerial yet - I am running mine around the underside of the deck for testing.

The motors should be OK on 12V - according to the MFA web-site, IIRC, they are rated for use up to about 18V so 12v is a safe limit.

Tim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2006, 09:52:44 pm »

Thanks for the info Tim

Just been reading my latest copy of Model Boats  (yes I found one in WHS). Full of pictures and very polished. Just the stuff for the winter read.

Cheers...Ken

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2006, 03:33:05 pm »

Well guys, there is another update - mostly on the build manual. I will try to post more piccies later on.

Tim

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2006, 04:12:44 pm »

Big News!

You heard it here first - I haven't yet updated the blog....

Aziz is finished and ready for sea trials. Only outstanding things are to finish up the lights and to sort the towing hook. So basically finished.

I had to get the logo in somwhere so you will see Cookie is going to be the proud recipient of 75 gallons of Floating Wombat brand Chilli Sauce (Removes corrosion, kills 99.9% of all germs, removes stains from sanitary equipment and if you are desparate enough can be used as a foodstuff, in which case item 3 is very useful)

Tim the Wombat

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2006, 04:32:27 pm »

Really nice looking model . Well done.

Pity photos weren't a bit larger.

Happy new year Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2006, 04:48:37 pm »

Hi Tim,

When's the maiden voyage then? I am told the weed problem has gone away at the moment, but the weather is not conducive to messing about near the water!

Happy New Year,

Barrie

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2006, 05:11:16 pm »

Fantastic pictures Wombat ..................... Congtaulations, a superb build 

Mine is coming on in leaps and bounds, now I have the use of my thumb back  (Stanley knife saw it hanging over the edge of the steel ruler and went through the top quite painlessly) Amazing how it heals itself. Wish the boat would  :D

I'm up to the mast fitting at the moment and in-between waiting for the glue to dry and sanding the cabin smooth.

I'm putting off the painting till I have to, so all the bits are separate and waiting to go on. It does monopolise your time eh !!.   The MRS is not best pleased with my time away, so it's slowing down a bit.

Catch you again

Cheers...Ken

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2006, 11:20:57 pm »

Hi All,

thanks for the comments - the advantage of these photos is that you cannot see the cruddy bits - like the overspary on the decks and sides. It has got to the point where I risk doing more harm than good trying to fix them: enough is enough!

Dicky, I will try to put up some better pictures tomorrow - try to give a feel of the thing close up

Barrie, I will be giving her the maiden voyage when the weather clears - middle sprog will be wanting to test sail his Club500 (incedentally when is he first Club500 session?)

Ken, One word of advice - don't stick in the mounts for the main mast until you have got the upper superstructure in place. I didn't and it caused me all sorts of problems with getting the upper superstructure in place, especially mating up the fire monitor pipe with the funnel. I had a spare flange for the pipe - I used this where the pipe meets the funnel.

I painted in stages, can't work out which is the better strategy - if anyone does, can they let me know before I start "Highlander" (it is no hold until the weather clears up enough for me to fettle the fibreglass outside - in the meantime a scratch built canal dayboat beckons.

SWMBO actively encourages me to do the boat - but then it is part of my occupational therapy  ;D

Tim the Wombat

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2007, 01:59:39 pm »

OK,

A bit late here are some further pictures - these are a bit bigger than the others.

Tim

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2007, 03:03:32 pm »

Tim

Really great model.

Pictures really great, can now see all your mistakes.

Before anyone complains to Martin, I am joking !! ;)

Keep it up, superfine job

Richard :)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2007, 03:09:48 pm »

Thanks for that - I will point out the mistakes shall I  :D :D - you can see the dodgy edges at the interface between the upper and lower superstructure for example.

I'm reasonably pleased with it though - turned out better than I expected. Now I've got to make space for the Highlander and the narrow boat....

I will post up some piccies when I have got it on the water (anyone in the midlands got an underwater camera?)

Tim

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2007, 09:41:50 am »

On the water...

Incidentally, what is the correct etiquette for passers by. I tried talking pleasantly, but not sure whether this is against the rules or not.

It was interesting that when the brats had the "Victory" and the "Club500" out it was the kiddies who were more fascinated. When it was Aziz, it was the dad's that wanted the kiddies to come and have a look....

[Edit] Apologies for the unwarranted use of a grocer's apostrophe above
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.