Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ  (Read 35440 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2007, 12:19:07 pm »

Well there you go Tim. All that effort and it's looking great. Well done.

Good point about the Dads appreciating the craftsmanship and the boy racers interested in speed. Perhaps we could fit hydrofoils ( like James Bond !!) and get her up on the plane. Wot a shock to everyone eh !!

All the best

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

crzydoyle11

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2007, 03:19:34 pm »

Hey there guy's I am also building one, my very first build (every"!!) and I pick a "wopper" of a boat to pick form. but I have to stay I am enjoying putting this boat together. I am just about finish with the lower deck now. I did not use the beams that they give you in the kit' I put brass beams instand of the plastic ones that I got.. I have to stay with kort nozzles I did pull my hair out a little bite putting them in making sure that they where in just right" I still have a long way to go yet, on finshing the boat. I am taking picture of the build so if wish to see my build on it just let me know.. when I am done I hope, I have just as good of a time with the boat as I am putting it together.. Good Luck to you all that are still putting the Aziz together.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2007, 10:59:23 am »

Hi crzydoyle11.

Yes indeed.  I'm still working daily on mine.  Been building her since last October !!!.

A million problems............  Every turn is a new project.  Almost every point done thrice, but very satisfying. My costs have now risen to  £680  and counting.

I shall never reach the quality of Tim's build, but I live in hope that I shall get near. I'm thinking of going for one of the other names of this fleet as there were 5 built, so I understand.  Does anyone know their names, so that I may choose one ?  :)

If you do a search of my letters, you will also find I had great fun with the Kort nozzles. Took three weeks in the end, and finally used nuts and bolts through the hull  (ooh er!!)

I'm now up to deciding how to fix the ladders so that they don't fall off.  :D   

Painting is another nightmare....  Every blemish shows up.  Copious sanding down and six tins or aerosol paint later, it now looks like sailors have been painting it in a storm  8)

We all would certainly like to see your build. Start a new thread, and we can follow your progress and maybee pictures as well.

All the best

Cheers...Ken

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2007, 07:20:47 pm »

Gosh, I'm blushing.....

You haven't really seen it close up Ken - it is not that good, definitely not a concours model. Especially now after a few breakages down at the pool. The front mast is now a little lop-sided and there is glue everywhere!.

crzydoyle11, don't get me started on those bl***y kort nozzles - just don't go there!!

Tim the Wombat

The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

crzydoyle11

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2007, 03:31:14 am »

I added a picture of my build on my profile I do not know how to add it here in the box just yet" if you can help me on that wombat many thanks to you. I have tread paste and copy did not work and I tread attachment also did not work unless I have to change the file it self I do not know..please help me on this..

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2007, 10:17:05 am »

I use 'Adobe photoshop' crzydoyle11.

Resize the picture in 'GIF' format to under 150K. the size is usually 24 pixels square

Click on 'Additional Options' and locate this picture on your computer and click to insert it.

Best of luck

I have put up my lastest picture under my thread page called  "I've got a grey bottom ...on my Aziz"

Cheers...Ken

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2007, 10:35:54 am »

I did not use the beams that they give you in the kit' I put brass beams instand of the plastic ones that I got..

Just to satisfy my curiosity, would you please explain why you used brass for the deck beams and inwales? It's not the easiest of materials to join effectively to styrene or GRP.
FLJ

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2007, 11:09:47 am »

Hi Mr Jacket.  Thank you for your info on other names in the Aziz fleet. I have contacted Lawrie & Jackie for advice.

I pondered the Inwale problem when the original castings were glued on. I found that a sideways knock would break the join and the railing became a separate loose structure.

I used a 4mm brass tube which I cut into the lengths required. I then filled them with molten lead and inserted a 6BA bolt in the base to a depth of 10mm with the thread protruding about 150mm.

The tops were covered in a blob of lead and sanded to a dome shape. I then drilled a hole for the railing and joined them all together spaced at the recommended distance. These were then soldered together and the surplus removed from the rails.  This was then sprayed with undercoat and then top coat black. 

I then marked out the positions on the painted and finished deck, and drilled out 6BA holes and inserted the threaded stubs and attached them underneath with washers and nuts.  When tight, I cut off the surplus thread.

The gates were already made, so care was taken to ensure the width of the railings matched this time  (ooh er!!  Nothing like having gates which clanged together like a child had been swinging on them !!)

I suppose you might call this 'over engineering', but I can see now why they put up the signs  "Please do not touch" at the these model shows.   ;D

Must get off the Club site as modelling time is flying by.

Cheers...Ken

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2007, 12:12:52 pm »

Ken

Wires crossed here, mate. I'm pretty sure you're referring to the Deck Side Barriers, which are made from identical castings with a plastic tube glued across the top and into the deck at each end (see top of Plan Sheet #1). I can see they would be a bit vulnerable, especially if you have a cat loose in the workshop! Your solution seems practical and sensible to me.

If you look at CrazyDoyle's Avatar picture, however, he's apparently used brass section for the deck supports (inwales, as per Fig 3 in the Aziz instructions), and also for the cross members, which are I-section styrene fabrications in the kit. I was curious to find out why he'd done this. The kit construction in this area might appear a bit flimsy, especially to a novice builder, but once all is glued up then it's actually very strong. It also doesn't rely on joining dissimilar materials like brass and styrene............ and all the stuff to do it is in the box already.

Works for me (cheapskate), but suit yourself!

FLJ

crzydoyle11

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2007, 04:08:57 am »

If you are wondering why I put in the brass beams instead of the the one's that come in the kit" well there are couple of reason for this..1- Is that if I made a mistake putting the beams in it would be easier for me to fix" because when you glued them down that is it, but if I make a mistake with the brass than I can reheat and re just the beams if I need too. 2- I know once the plastic beams are glued together there are stong" but I feel that the brass beams are even my stonger. But!" the real reason is that I hate" cutting out that very hard plastic to much work believe or not.. I can work with brass easier than I can with the plastic. And besides if I decide to use my boat to catch real fish I do not have to worry to much about my duck getting ripe off. LOL.... ;D  :o    And last night I did a weight test to my beams I put 30ibis of weight on my beams to see if it would hold up and it did" I my try a little bit more later, and yes I did take some picture of it..I will post my picture on here next time I log on.. 3- I guess also I did it because just to see if I can do it or not" I made a couple of boo, boos but in all it is working out OK at this time. I will also emit that it was not to easy to find a place near my home that supplies the brass that I need to use for my build. l
Later I did find a website that you can order the brass you need to build with. Here is the website if you wish to check it out. http://www.specialshapes.com/default.asp 
Ok I will check in later guy's to see what is going on..

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2007, 09:36:34 am »

Thanks for your reply, CRZY. I've sent you an E-Mail.
FLJ

crzydoyle11

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2007, 02:49:44 am »

I have a queston on the motors, It is how match angle should I put on the rear of the motor's to make them slide in to the tubes. I have seen a couple of others install them them with no rear angle" I have tired this but looks like it is not lining up right. Any sug..anyone.........

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2007, 11:23:02 am »

Hi CrazyDoyle........

Not sure what you are getting at - the motors IIUC should be in line with the prop shafts to maximise power and minimise hassle. I found access to the motors restricted by the deck so ended up slotting the holes on the bases so I could slide the motors in position through the deck hatch - and get them out again, but when mounted.

THe motors do have a bit of a slope towards the stern to get them in line to the shafts. I made this angle on the mounts by angling the motor to get the coupling straight (Better yet tighthly wrap paper around the coupling to get it rigid and then slide the motor on it. Measure the vertical distance to the hull at all four corners of the motor and use these measurements to fabricate the motor mount. Don't do as I did and use a single mount for both motors.

Wom

crzydoyle11

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2007, 03:35:44 am »

Thank you wombat for the infor. on motor mounts. One more queston? why not make the motor's on one bracket. It is it because it may be more harder to line them up right?

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2007, 04:46:50 am »

crazydoyle11,
I don't know about you or Wombat, but I have a lot of trouble getting one drive shaft / stuffing tube in correctly.  Trying to get two in correctly (same exact angle etc.) is about as likely as me winning the lottery.  So, I usually ends up with two separate motor mounts.  I'd really like to mount both motors on one mount but found that with my building, forget it.  I think I know how to get everything 'just right', but I'm too lazy to do it...
 - 'Doc

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2007, 06:13:39 pm »

The problems I found with using a single mount for both motors are that if you do not get the measurements of the mounting holes in exactly the right position relative to each other, you will never get the alignment right. Also the problem of a single mount is getting it trimmed to fit properly - it probably takes more time to do than than is the case with two single mounts.

Wom

crzydoyle11

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2007, 12:29:55 pm »

Hey there guy's just update on my build. couple things that I add to my build.. Working Radder,and Fire monitor,also I am working on putting in working doors to.. The boat will also have sound as well fog horn, & Eng..right now I working on the doors. I will have picture at a later time..

crzydoyle11

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2007, 07:34:22 pm »

I forgot to add on my last post I also will have working lights as well.. O0

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2007, 08:01:29 pm »

Can't wait to see the pictures. Sounds like an interesting build.

Ken

crzydoyle11

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »

The problems I found with using a single mount for both motors are that if you do not get the measurements of the mounting holes in exactly the right position relative to each other, you will never get the alignment right. Also the problem of a single mount is getting it trimmed to fit properly - it probably takes more time to do than than is the case with two single mounts.

Wom

crzydoyle11

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2008, 11:27:53 pm »

here is picture of the wheel house unpainted to this point and the doors do open.

crzydoyle11

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2008, 11:31:01 pm »

hear is one more I will have more leater.

crzydoyle11

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2008, 11:40:14 pm »

hear is one more with my boat and Master Chife

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2008, 09:14:54 am »

crazydoyle11 Can you not make your photos bigger, at the moment the are between 5 and 9 KBs. You are allowed a total of 256 KB, per post. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

crzydoyle11

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2008, 11:05:07 am »

I will try again to make the picture bigger. Of my boat and  Master Chief when I tried I get a Error will not accept.
Will attempt to make them bigger again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.