Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ  (Read 35439 times)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ
« on: June 12, 2006, 10:18:09 pm »

Hi All,

This was opened up on the main section, but probably is more appropriate here. I am documenting the build of my Aziz here - the build manual is a PDF, but I am also running a blog - please feel free to leave comments. You wil lhave to register, but this is a mere formality - it is just so I can lock out any idiots that try to ruin the site

http://www.floatingwombat.me.uk

Follow the link for boats - there are a lot of gaps in the site at the moment as it is very much a work in progress

Wombat

The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
Re: My First Build _ Model Slipway's AZIZ
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:39:10 pm »

Hiya Wombat!
I had a good look at the Aziz when I was in the Model Slipway 'shop', if that's what it can be called.  It looks like a real beaut!  Nice and big and bright red, lots of detail but not too many tiny fiddly bits to bog you down.  I actually thought of building one as my next model, but it might be a bit big for my tiny flat!
I'll keep looking at your blog and seeing how you do.  Good luck!
Julian.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 08:01:51 pm »

Hi Julian,

Yes there was something about Aziz that attracted me the first time I saw it - though I did regret it when the kit came  ;D

Please feel free to add your comments to the blog - I would welcome comment from anyone, particularly if they see me doing anything stupid (very likely)

Tim (the Wombat)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:14:18 am »

Hi All,

Just an update to move me back to the top of the list? :o

Well after a lot of fun I have got the Kort tubes on - getting on for three days it has taken. I think I have taken up the wrong hobby.

Please look in on the blog and let me know what you think

Wombat

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 05:03:13 pm »

Wombat,
Read the Kort nozzle part, your build made me feel much better about my 'fun' with the 'Wyeforce's Kort nozzles!  I didn't fair the nozzles like you did, but wish I had.  Also gives me something to think about/do while I'm waiting on whatever it is I'm waiting on (nice way of saying I'm bored again).
Making things absolutely 'perfect' is always very satisfying.  It's also very unlikely (at least for me) and 'close' really does work well.  I know that sounds like an excuse and it is.  But, having lived with 'me' for a number of years I've found that no matter what others think, I'm really not 'perfect'.  (How's that for the proper blend of humility and tact?)
Don't you dare stop now!
 - 'Doc

Dave Leishman

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 06:43:36 pm »

Tim,

I've just been looking at your PDF build manual for Aziz (great idea by the way), and wondered if you've made the same minor mistake I did when I installed my bow thruster when I saw your photos of it.

The natural thinking is to install the bow thruster housing in a vertical fashion, so the housing is at 90 degrees to the bottom of the hull and the motor sat on top.

I did that, and everything works well.

However...if you ever need to get the thruster assembly out again (which I did ::)) the securing screws are very close to the underside of the deck, and one of them is actually located (on mine) right in line with the fore-aft centreline of the boat facing toward the bow. I ended up having to find a suitable plastic handled instrument screwdriver, cutting most of the handle off and then performing a double-joint contortion with my fingers and wrist to locate and undo the 'hidden' screw.

If you're going to be facing the same problem, you may want to rotate the thruster through 45 degrees so the motor housing is actually pointing into the interior of the boat instead of towards the underside of the fore deck. :)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 09:05:07 pm »

Hi Doc,

I don't think SWMBO will allow me to give up on it - I have blown nigh on a month's beer budget on it. I hope it will get easier once I have got the stuff below the waterline done. At the moment I am fed up of wet-and-dry... >:( >:( >:(

I don't know about making it perfect - that would be a bit of a tall order for me. As long as it doesn't look too disgraceful. I would hate for it to look like I had built it wearing boxing gloves.

Dave, I think I have made the same mistake as you? :o :o :o :o Mine is upright as well. I was thinking about canting it over at 45 degrees, but after doing a trial assembly I didn't think that I would be taking it apart again once it was in.

Tim (the Wombat)

Dave Leishman

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 09:39:06 pm »

Hi Doc,

I don't think SWMBO will allow me to give up on it - I have blown nigh on a month's beer budget on it. I hope it will get easier once I have got the stuff below the waterline done. At the moment I am fed up of wet-and-dry... >:( >:( >:(
Hah! Just wait until you have to start cleaning up the individual white metal parts! You'll be dreaming of the halcyon days of wet-an-dry then mate ;D

I don't know about making it perfect - that would be a bit of a tall order for me. As long as it doesn't look too disgraceful. I would hate for it to look like I had built it wearing boxing gloves.
From the photos I've seen so far it looks like it's going to be a great model. I've seen one model of Aziz that looked like it was built by a blind modeller with arthritis, but I quickly reminded myself that for all I knew it could have been built by someone that was partially sighted with or without arthritis. I think we're too consumed by the 'perfect' model, when the important thing is that the builder enjoys themselves and are happy with the result when it's finished...

Dave, I think I have made the same mistake as you  :o :o :o :o Mine is upright as well. I was thinking about canting it over at 45 degrees, but after doing a trial assembly I didn't think that I would be taking it apart again once it was in.

Tim (the Wombat)
Errr... I didn't think mine would have to come out again either, but it was jamming when the boat was finished and had to come out for readjustment. As I say though, it can be done with a cut-down instrument screwdriver, lots of patience (accompanied by lots of swearing) and a small degree of prayer ;)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 10:20:54 pm »

as an addendum - I thought the build manual was the best way of keeping a record of the things I get up to. It will help me in the future and might give others a few hints or ideas.

I use OpenOffice for it - I prefer it to Micro$haft Worm and it is my favourite price. Best of all for this, it generates PDFs directly.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 03:06:02 pm »

Well there is another update on the web-site. Please feel free to look in and comment

Tim (the Wombat)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 07:25:39 am »

Tim,

To remove the slop in the rudder, it could be a good idea to use ball joints as connectors instead of the z bend wire that way there will be no excess play in the control surface..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 08:23:24 am »

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the comment, that had already struck me - after a bit of looking and examining, I have a set of ball joint and clevis rods ready to go in. That is todays job assuming I can get No.2 Sprog sorted out for its school trip (1 week in Prague) and finding a source of deck green.

Then it is getting the electrical installation done.

Tim (the Wombat)

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »

Tim,
I think the control arms for the rudders is the only thing I really don't care for that came from 'Slipway'.  They have been a constant pain, not just in one particular portion of my anatomy, butt in all of it!  I know how to use them corretly now, but that doesn't make up for the aggrivation I've put my self through.  Also learned about gluing the two metal halves of a rudder together (another one of my 'better ideas', and just exactly how quick desolved duck 'poop' will desolve glue).  Making provision/modifications to be able to reach the tops of the rudders is a very nice idea.  Wish I'd have thought of that sooner...
 - 'Doc

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 08:05:03 pm »

Hi Doc,

I'm not too sure about them either - they just don't "feel" right. I guess a white metal casting is cheaper than buying in a part. Still they are in now.

I am about to glue up the rudders, what glue did you use. I was planning to use 300Kg rated epoxy (not the rapid stuff). I ask because we have rather a lot of ducks and geese on our pond so there will be plenty of doings in there

Tim (the Wombat)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 04:59:39 pm »

Hi All,

Not sure I want to post up any more looking at the standard of other peoples builds - I am feeling rather inadequate. Still, you all deserve a bit of a giggle so here is the latest installment of pillocks progress.

I have updated the blog and the build manual for anyone who is interested.

So what is the progress....

The rudder mechanism has been updated and the deck is in place, also I have started on the life belts, barrels and tugger winches.

Please have a look at the blog and the build manual and give me any feedback

Thanks

Tim the Wombat

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 05:03:45 pm »

Got the wrong attachment for the rudder mechanism - here is the one I intended

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 07:31:37 pm »

"Inadequate"?  If someone ever tells you that they have never felt that way about any boat they've built, you may safely tell them to spread that stuff in the garden where it'll do the most good.
 - 'Doc

(Except me, of course!  I am 'perfect', a 'genius', 'rich', 'handsome', and very talented and considerate 'cuz I also hide those qualities very well.)  ...  look at that!  My neighbor's lawn just grew 2 inches.

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 07:56:10 pm »

Hi All,

Not sure I want to post up any more looking at the standard of other peoples builds - I am feeling rather inadequate. Still, you all deserve a bit of a giggle so here is the latest installment of pillocks progress.

I have updated the blog and the build manual for anyone who is interested.

Hi Tim,

Cool web site and model , matey.

Tim, the very most important thing about  modelling is "you do it for yourself" ....
everytime matey.

Enjoy what  you do  ;D

Each step you take will be better than the last, each boat  you build will be another learning curve, but all that you have learned previously will come into play.

You will learn new skills along the way.. new challenges from different sources.

( Even after building around 30 models, I STILL am useless at soldering, and wire bending !! )

Trust me, you will improve.....accept advice, seek advice,
You will also become a master at covering  up the c_o_c_k ups too. ( I know I am !)

You are doing just great matey, and finally, just remember  how few other modellers
IN THIS VERY FORUM , have had the balls to

a) make their own web site, and
 b) show off their models, warts an all..... ??

Not that many, Is there ? Given the number of members.... so take heart Tim........ you are already an accomplished modeller.   

I for one look forward to seeing more of your work ;D

Best Wishes

Steve     

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 09:17:31 pm »

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your kind words.

I agree you build models for yourself (unless of course you are doing it as a business or for pin money) - but the investment is very heavy, you don't want to ruin it by sloppy work.

I find the examples of other peoples work here very inspiring - it shows just what can be achieved. I am finding the dropped b*ll*ks on the way - this is one reason for the web-site, documenting it all will hep prevent making the same mistake twice, plus if it stops someone lese making the same mistake.

On reflection, the model is perhaps a little ambitious as a first build, but then again if there wasn't a challenge I would get bored. The advice from people here is making it a lot easier. It has been a godsen this place (thanks Martin).

Soldering and wire bending I am looking forward to - but then I have had a little practice, like soldering down an IC with 144 pins on a 0.5mm pitch by hand, saying that, pride comes before a fall.

I will keep the documentation going, just to keep the methods in my mind.

Hopefully the next round of updates will be soon.

Tim

Pointy

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 10:20:03 am »

Hello Wombat,
Think you are doing brilliantly mate!
 I also picked a Slipway model as my first build and it all seemed overwhelming and the end never seems insight! But you know 7 months later not only have I learnt loads thanks in a big way to some of the guys on this forum and the overall quality and instructions of the Slipway kits but I've almost finished!!! Thought I never would. Each thing you do you look back at critically at the time and every next step like painting a waterline, getting the deck on flush seems so hard and some days you just can't face it in the end you end up actually doing it!

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 06:01:12 pm »

Cheers Pointy,

It does seem daunting - though I am making progress. I'm not doing too badly I think, but looking at some of the boats here, I have a long way to go.  I am starting to get my hand back in a little though, the paint is not perfect, but it is coming on. I finished up the tugger winches today - put in the detailing. Not sure it is quite realistic, but I can't see how ot make it better.

Hopefully some of you scale modellers can point me in the right direction. Heres what they look like

Tim the Wombat

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2006, 07:01:12 pm »

Hi Tim.,they are looking great matey,

Dont be tempted to have em spotlessly clean.....they are working machine,so if they get scratched, leave em like that ! ;)

A liberal addition of mucky paint will tone em down,, you could try using diluted track colour from humbrol to add rust colour to the chains too.

Steve

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2006, 07:35:35 pm »

I was wondering about a colour wash to darken it a little - the grease around the bearings and up the drum seems to work. You can't see it too well on the photo, but the rust effect on the cable seems to be fairly good. I used brown ochre acrylic dry brushed onto the cable.

The paint on the bulk of it look fairly clean, but so does the winch on the photos of the real boat - if anything the cables on mine are greasier and the drum is dirtier

I want the boat to look used but cared for

Tim the Wombat

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 03:10:05 pm »

Well, progress is steady but slow - Lookin at the shots of the actual boat on the Model Slipway site, maybe there is too much grease on the tugger winch cables and far too little rust. Still never mind, perhaps I'll do the ropes on the Waterfall winch a little different.

Progress is slow, but it is more lile a boat now the bulwarks are in. Sand it down a bit and it should be ready for painting. The picture shows the hull with the filler on it, I am just about to go sand it down.

Tim the Wombat

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 05:39:00 pm »

Beat the drums and jump for joy - a big step today, I have got the main exterior paintwork done.

The red oxide primer for under the water line is OK - the upper works are a bit orange-peel and have got some blemishes. The blemishes will be touched up. All that remains on the outside is to flatten off a bit and apply the satin coat. I am thinking of using Ronseal "Diamond Hard" water based satin varnish. Any comment on that stuff? What would you guys recommend? Also what is the best way of applying it - brush or spray?

Tim the Wombat

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.