Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Islander, twin x7 quadcopter motors.  (Read 913 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Islander, twin x7 quadcopter motors.
« on: December 26, 2021, 09:39:09 pm »

I have always liked the Islander and when I spotted a picture of a profile one, I decided I was going to do a larger profile one. As I drew it up I decided to do a full fuselage version instead. I used 3, 6 and 9mm depron and some bamboo for leading and trailing edges.
I had to raise the front edge of the wing 3mm to get it flying nice, really nice in fact, and the twin motors have a distinctive sound. Huge rudder means it can do some tight turns. It is very controllable and stable and one of my favourites. I decided not to fit landing gear as it would just get ripped off on my grass runway.
Bottom pic is the profile one that kickstarted my version

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Islander, twin x7 quadcopter motors.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 10:51:15 am »

Now that looks nice  Andy. You would have needed a mortgage to build it in Balsa.  {-)

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 06:13:55 pm »

I actually did, years ago. 2 enya 40 ss engines, 9 foot span. The fin snapped off about 20 seconds into its first flight.
I have to say that it was the most realistic model plane crash site I have had. It had hit the ground fairly flat and shattered the fuselage framework, shed a wing and flipped over, shedding more bits.
Ah well.....

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 07:42:06 pm »

I didnt think it looked like an Islander without any landing gear.
Balsa wheels, paperclip axles and nail manicure sticks for main legs.
These are fixed to depron mounts that slide inside the rear of the motor pods. A strip of masking tape holds them in place. Performance isnt really changed by adding the undercarriage, I thought it would add a lot more drag. Seems to cope well.
Nice little model, flies very well and does 15 to 20 minute flights on 500mah 3.7v.
Incredible. And it weighs less than 6 ounces, I used to burn that much glow fuel in a 5 minute flight when I used engines in my planes.
Now I can even bring a plane in the house without worrying about castor oil drips. 😁

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 10:22:51 am »

"Now I can even bring a plane in the house without worrying about castor oil drips"
Yes but you don't have soft hands anymore. Was also good for keeping you 'regular' for a few days after flying.
    Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.