Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes 2021/22  (Read 1601 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
The Ashes 2021/22
« on: December 28, 2021, 12:45:25 am »

I don’t wish to gloat, well, not much, but I’m sitting here watching England be absolutely humiliated by Australia in the third test. It’s so one sided that I almost feel sorry for England. Our new fast bowler, Scott Boland, has just taken his 6th wicket, and has figures at the moment of 6 wickets for 5 runs off 3.3 overs. England are now 9-65.
Embarrassing  :embarrassed:

Update - England has been bowled out for only 68, meaning Australia won the test by an innings and 14 runs in 2 days and less than one session, utter humiliation. I shudder to think what the English sports press will say. As an Aussie, it’s great to win so convincingly but, as a cricket lover, it’s sad to see a proud cricketing nation like England be beaten in such a way.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Ashes 2021/22
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 03:49:43 am »

Peter.....it's a generational thing......just a few years ago, a few bits of yellow sandpaper walloped and Officially discredited the Australian side as 'cheats'....

Mind you, sandpaper & willow have been friends for Centuries, however the former was not supposed to be caught  :police:  being used with red balls

So, Australia can celebrate as a new Team today, but must be ever cautious of the opposing Team next season.......

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 04:15:12 am »

Yes indeed Derek, although Michael Vaughan seems to think that Australia will prevail in England on the next tour. I wouldn’t be so sure, I would never write England off. Hopefully they will have learned some valuable lessons from the current debacle.

The sandpaper issue was the fault of two or three idiots who thought they could get away with it, if they were even thinking at all. It was a black mark against Australia, but we have come back from it. Again, lessons have been learned. Other test countries have been guilty of questionable actions in the past, but the game goes on.

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 04:34:48 am »

As an Aussie naturalised Pom I can sit on the fence but there is not much enjoyment in having two unmatched teams.  Give me a nail biting match any day.   %)

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 08:12:54 am »

As a proud Lancastrian, I am very much embarrassed by this set of players. It is only a few short years ago that we were a better side than the Aussies, but not now. My wife and I both predicted a 5-0 whitewash as we are simply not good enough at the moment.
That said, my respect for Australian cricket has been badly damaged over the sandpaper affair. Smith and Warner should never have been allowed to play for their nation again after blatant cheating. Not only did they come back, but Smith has captained the side again. This would not have happened in England…………..well I hope not anyway….
Congratulations to Australia. They are a very good side indeed and deserve their success.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 09:50:54 am »

The concensus on the Beeb this morning seems to be sorrow rather than anger. Too much short-game stuff and not enough 4 day county play which encourages aggression, rather than patience. Rushing to score with ramp shots etc. is the cry BUT just how many attend county matches? Even more, how many under the age of retirement? Even allowing for the Covid effect, the Aussie system seems to have a better balance between the "old" and "new".
 {:-{

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 10:50:21 am »

Barry (Footski), I agree with you concerning the sandpaper affair up to a point. Smith and Warner brought disgrace on Australian cricket for their actions, but they were both severely punished and have served their time. I don’t believe Smith should have been made vice captain, but I do think he has earned his place in the team. A life ban would have been too harsh in my opinion.

Tony, yes we do have a good system here with a variety of versions of the game. The Sheffield Shield  four day games, the Marsh Cup 50 over one dayers, and the Big Bash League T20 Domestic series. The most popular of these, in terms of crowd numbers, is the BBL, by a long way, with attendances often in the tens of thousands. There are also a number of cricket academies to foster young players, both male and female. Having said that, our latest Ashes hero, Scott Boland, is 32 years old, and has just played his first test.

I hope the England team can gather itself and make contests out of the two remaining tests.

Peter.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 12:18:07 pm »

You name it, Britain are ACE at loosing, we've had plenty of practice at it. So many of the world sports were invented here and it's been a downhill slide ever since. Ahhh good memories of 1966.  :embarrassed:

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 04:00:39 pm »

You name it, Britain are ACE at loosing, we've had plenty of practice at it. So many of the world sports were invented here and it's been a downhill slide ever since. Ahhh good memories of 1966.  :embarrassed:

Regards  Ian.

1966……..I don’t think we beat the Aussies then %% %% %%

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 02:39:41 am »

I found the following interesting reading  O0 sorry Brian........now edited

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 04:39:18 am »

I found the following interesting reading  O0

Test results, up to and including the 2021-22 Ashes series in Australia:[62][note 1]
[/font][/color][/size]
Overall Test Results[/t]
[/q][/td][/tr][tr][td][/color][/size]
Tests playedAustralia winsEngland winsDraws
????
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.