Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Turning Gear  (Read 2883 times)

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Engine Turning Gear
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2022, 05:16:58 pm »

Having followed Derek's link to Station Road steam there is a page of a collage of pictures showing the model of the engine, if you look to the R/Hand column of pics # 6 down  there is an end view  which shows the worm and the wheel, which is keyed to the main shaft.
If you drag and drop to the desk top a thumbnail comes up, double click on that and a full size pic can be had and if you enlarge the pic it shows the Worm Wheel keyed to the main shaft and the worm clearly disengaged.  ( I use Windows 11 )  note the wheel's teeth are radiused to the worms dia.

Thanks Geoff  for the  explanation of the possibility of a mishap if the gear was to move if left in the disengaged position while the engine is running causing damage  hence it would be removed to avoid accidents, which was a thing that didn't come to my mind at the time.

As the worm has no other method of engaging the wheel if it is not bored off centre with a key fixed to the bore and the ratchet spindle passing thro' the bore as B.B. has indicated , how does it engage in the wheel  as the cast bracket to the base plate isn't hinged, ??

George.

P.S.   this is the first time posting on a new H/P computer as my Mac has died and I am not replacing it, please excuse any spelling mistakes as I am still finding my way with the new computer.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Engine Turning Gear
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2022, 11:50:11 pm »

I think in conclusion, when I first said....."the gear appears to be fixed and not able to be dis-engaged" ....was clearly 'incorrect'

Obviously the Designers and Builders some ~~120 years ago, realised when the engine Baring Gear was finished with, had two choices

1. the eccentrically bored Baring Worm + shaft + key + ratchet etc, were simply to be removed and packed away until required again
or
2. the Baring Worm rotated eccentrically + keyed out to provide a positive disengagement to the Worm Wheel, and the ratchet stored away

If the engine was used in a marine application [with the seawater condenser] the decision in the alternate storage of the Baring Gear would have been that of the Chief Engineer, who would I suggest inspect the Baring Gear orientation in his Check List, prior to starting of the engine

[There certainly could be arguments for either option]

I too initially, was looking for something that was not there. Would engine Turning Gear be designed on similar lines today?, probably not

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.