Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives too thin balsa wood making side gunwale parts ?  (Read 1802 times)

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Alternatives too thin balsa wood making side gunwale parts ?
« on: January 10, 2022, 04:31:34 am »

Hello Everyone

I trying to make side parts for a laser cut plywood boat kit I bought. A set of gunwales
to attach to the hull sides via the 3mm plywood top deck sides.
Materials and tools I currently have to use to make the parts with 1mm plywood sheet
and some thin balsa wood,  .6 mm wood mahogany sheet veneer. Tools I have to makes the parts
Plastic model ship curves as templets, metal ruler and a hobby knife double sides tape cutting mat.
What I have tried so far tape down templet, and attempt to cut out parts on 1 mm plywood with a hobby knife
Results when tested hard to follow the templet in wood of this thickness. Next I tried wood veneer easy to cut with templet via hobby knife but way to thin to build up anything with structural integrity.The only other option I can currently come up is thin balsa wood sheet cut out with templet and glue on parts to sides then thin glass over for some structural integrity which basle wood never seems to have much of as wood?
 Any help would be greatly appreciated
 A thin plywood less than 1 mm thick  or thicker wood sheet veneer or other material options to make the parts out of  attached is the part I cut out using the wood veneer .

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Alternatives too thin balsa wood making side gunwale parts ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 10:44:52 am »

Give plasticard a try - available in numerous thicknesses and sizes, also reasonably priced.

G.
Gordon

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 05:50:16 pm »

Hello Gordon

Thank you for posting I appreciate it, materials to use, plastic styrene sheets is this the material you are referring to 
Have you ever used this in this fashion, how would you glue it to plywood and would it hold well ?
Has anyone tried this before.  build a small pop pop engine boat out of the kit preferable materials to make the gunwales out of would be wood . Thanks

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 06:17:46 pm »

I've laminated 1/64th plywood with epoxy to various thicknesses when building similar structures, available from the likes of SLEC etc,
it's very flexible, can be easily cut with scissors and ends up a strong unit thanks to the epoxy, common practice in the aeromodelling world.
Cereal box cardboard is ideal for making templates.
Paul.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 07:17:09 pm »

I used bath panel plastic on this one, glued fine to balsa hull.

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 10:51:43 am »

Hello Gordon

Thank you for posting I appreciate it, materials to use, plastic styrene sheets is this the material you are referring to 
Have you ever used this in this fashion, how would you glue it to plywood and would it hold well ?
Has anyone tried this before.  build a small pop pop engine boat out of the kit preferable materials to make the gunwales out of would be wood . Thanks

Yes, plastic styrene sheets, commonly known as Plasticard.  Many years ago, I built a small tugboat from balsa and Plasticard - I think I used cyanoacrylate (CA or superglue) to fix the bulwarks to the balsa hull - was fine until sold over 30 years later!

G.
Gordon

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 07:39:55 pm »

I've laminated 1/64th plywood with epoxy to various thicknesses when building similar structures, available from the likes of SLEC etc,
it's very flexible, can be easily cut with scissors and ends up a strong unit thanks to the epoxy, common practice in the aeromodelling world.
Cereal box cardboard is ideal for making templates.
Paul.

Hello Mr Zippy thanks for responding to my post appreciated, I am quite keen on trying your recommendation
laminated ply sheets together with epoxy . Question I found some good quality plywood from Finland wide range of applications, do you know if 0.8 mm or  1/32"  birch ply would do or would this be to thin to laminate several parts together? in other words would it take too much to build up anything strong enough. Thin laminated  layers
over thicker plywood does sound like the best way to go in order to get it to bend properly around the hull sides. I did find 1.5 mm or 1/16" from the same company as well .   Any additional help would be greatly  appreciated David 

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 07:43:13 pm »

I used bath panel plastic on this one, glued fine to balsa hull.

Thanks for posting your model tug looks great plastic panels for -gunwale gunnel

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 07:46:23 pm »

Thank you  everyone that has responded to my post appreciated !

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 02:40:01 pm »

Hi, 1/16" birch ply is OK, that would be the thickness after laminating the thin together. The bulwark stays do add a lot of strength to the job as well. nemesis

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 07:11:19 pm »

Hi Dillinger,
I'd guessed your model is quite small? after looking at the pic of the bulwark on a cutting mat -
hence suggested the thinest ply - to allow you to bend it around the sharp deck curve.3 or 4 layers of 1/64th ends up very strong when laminated with epoxy,
and as Nemesis rightly states - bulwark stays add a great deal of strength, a capping/hand rail could also be added to further stiffen things.
If the design allows, a small 1/8th or 1/16th square strip could be stuck around the outer edge of the deck,
to add stability to the bulwark and increase your glueing area, helping stiffening up the structure.
Paul.

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 02:11:23 am »

Hello Paul

Thank you for the quick response back appreciated, Yes small close to 24 cm in total length.
 I like your idea more glueing surface for the outer edge thus more support and strength for the gunwale gunnel the
parts I plan to add around the deck sides. At a closer inspection of the 0.8 mm plywood it has a thickness guideline between 0.72 mm 0.88 mm correct me if I am wrong? but it appears as though 1/64" is close to 0.39 mm
so as you mentioned using 3 to 4 layers if I am correct in what I said 1/64 being close to 0.39 mm
then 3 to 4 layers should be more than enough to give good laminated strength when glued together .
David

RST

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 02:32:42 am »

I was biting my nails long enough but thanks for the last picture.

I just got to ask now:  Are you mixing bulwarks with gunwales?  It's a bit confusing so far what you're asking and others batter in without checking so this thread makes not much sense so far.

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 04:44:20 am »

Ok technically specking perhaps when referring to the different parts to as ship I should have
used the word bulwarks from the start my fault! adding a reinforced band or strip above the level of the existing  deck so bulwarks seems to be right term to use .
I wanted to make the boat look more like the design of a tug boat and the way the bulwarks looks on them .

Thanks for asking !

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 09:07:36 am »

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 03:45:23 am »

Hello Paul

Thank you for the information appreciated at  SLEC -Ltd
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 22 queries.