Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inshore fishing boat day signal  (Read 1876 times)

RST

Inshore fishing boat day signal
« on: January 10, 2022, 07:36:19 pm »

Hi,

Thought I'd share this attempt at an inshore fishing boat day signal for a version of Vic Smeed's Cormorant I am freelancing from a Sarik polystyrene hull.

I was wondering how to make the ubiquitous double inverted cone tell-tale that inshore finshing boats display.  I was struggling to find a commercial fitting and really struggling how to make one myself until last weekend when I had a try.  I am aware some boats have sheet material in quadrant fashion but I wanted to show one similar to those that are woven.

Bsically, I 3-D printed two plastic rings with an array of holes on a PCD.  I also printed a jig to string-up the thread.  In similar fashion to old fashioned radio aerials I strung up the two discs with the thread passed back and forth.  The jig is rough and ready and just flexible enough that with an extra bit of small thread it's possible to tie in a knot in the middle to create the required double cone shape which tensions the whole thing up.  All thread is secured in the top and bottom rings using CA adhesive, the threads inbetween are also plastered in CA to stiffen the whole thing up.  I trimmed all but two threads from each end flush and tied the remining two thread ends on each end together and added extra line for rigging up to the mast.  Again -all knots etc secured using drops of thin CA adhesive.

I admit my quick pictures aren't great and you don't need a 3-D printer but you get the idea.  Real day signals often seem to be woven from net but I think mine looks passable just with the individual threads -how many other details like these do you see on models anyway?

...Was pleased enough to share it with you for inspiration anyway.  I've just loosely draped mine on my model so far -will be painted and fitted properly in due course!

Some real examples can be seen here...

https://fishingnews.co.uk/features/pittenweem-photographed/

Richard

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Inshore fishing boat day signal
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 08:43:15 pm »

Looks good  :-)) :-))
I must admit I haven't seen that on a model before!

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 09:19:41 pm »

Certainly attention to detail, as it is only displayed when engaged when fishing and then ignored by all, other than other fishermen.
Thought I added this but somehow it got lost.
Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem

RST

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 09:29:28 pm »

Certainly attention to detail, as it is only displayed when engaged when fishing and then ignored by all, other than other fishermen.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the interest.  Yes Kevin -when you read the rules (and I am no expert!) they are supposed to deploy and retrieve as appropriate, but as wrtitten across the internet -most don't bother bringing them down and seems nobody checks on smaller boats at least so it seems a nice little detail to add (I've given my game away now and how to -every model of a UK boat will be wearing one now LoL).

Rich

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 09:56:00 pm »

We had one made out of 2 push bike wheels with a bit of old black netting tied on , a bit of twine tied in the middle of it to pinch it in , other boats used to use a fish basked hauled up in place of the "accepted" signal and the MCA never bothered about it as long as one of the two were used.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

RST

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:40:45 pm »

Hello Mr Tait,
A question for you if I may:  Why do some boats show a basket or bucket raised up the mast up forwards?

Can't find any reason from many 'tinternet searches but I'm obviously not putting the right words in.

Thanks,
Rich

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:00:09 pm »

If I may jump in, the fishing basket is to inform that the vessel is engaged in fishing and may have lines in the water that could potentially foul another vessels propellor.

The vessel may also be limited in it's manoeverability,  so it is a warning to other vessels.
Kevin Hutch

RST

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:27:35 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Thanks but by the "codes" is a bucket or basket supposed to represent a single round day signal?  The double cone represents "engagement in fishing activities"?  If a single round signal is displayed does it not interpret a vessel "at anchor"?  Or it it a tradition / unwritten rule thing? ....I display my bucket to you sir, don't make me take my gloves off?

Rich

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 02:54:13 am »

You are right exhaustive internet searches find very little reference other than cones. :-))

The closest I can find is "optional" "inland only" stops short of saying it is a basket, mentioned in Wiki, but when I got my ticket a basket, I don't recall a bucket, represented a small fishing vessel engaged in fishing, probably came from the fishing basket being in the way on deck when fishing.

In my experience a fishing vessel engaged in fishing at night overwhelmed all other lighting with their work lights, so you simply stayed well clear.

Having said that I think the OP's version is an excellent "stowable" day shape for a fishing boat.
Kevin Hutch

RST

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 03:01:04 am »

Hi Kevin, I'm the OP so trying to work it out -I expanded it to question why the basket or bucket was put up.  I saw all the charts for signals before but fishing boats seems to be a law themselves.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 10:43:18 am »

It was done with a basket on a lot of boats up till 25 years ago when the MCA started to get strict about using the correct day signals on fishing boats ( another thing fishermen were bad for was leaving the mast lights showing them as fishing lit when they were steaming back to harbour and even some were just left on all the time regardless ).
The use of a basket was done on mostly inshore boats ( under 60ft normally ) with all the bigger boats using the correct double cone signal. I can only remember a handful of inshore boats using a basket in Aberdeen but it was far more common in Peterhead , Fraserburgh and other ports like Mallaig or North Shields
Davie Tait,
Scotland

RST

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 11:12:30 pm »

Hi and thanks for the reply, sorry for the late response.

Yes that makes sense and probably puts it to bed now.  I must admit I come from an offshore background so fishing boats look much more of a minefield with nothing clear to explain the rigging.  I'm probably more familiar with looking at boats in the East Neuk etc that the other places.  My experience in Peterhead ws far more recent usually observed from the aft deck of a DSV although I did go inside Denholm processing in Peterhead once but that was an exception -and their boats were something else!

...I think it was still a good way to introduce a way of making a modern day signal.  I've used something mildly similar since for lobster pots though I won't post them up just yet.

Rich

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.