Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Victory 1/84 by Tom  (Read 897 times)

tomganc

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Victory 1/84 by Tom
« on: January 11, 2022, 11:54:55 am »

Hello everyone!
I have posted this in wrong category before so that's the right place for my build log ;)
Let me introduce myself. I’m Tom based in Manchester, UK. I’ve been modelling since I was teenager. I have started with plastic models of aircrafts as it was quite easy one. Then I moved to paper models – this gave me a chance to really work on the details and creativity. I’ve been building WW2 ships and planes for some time.
Then it was a break wen I went to the university, started the family, etc. About 10 years ago I came across the DeAgostini HMS victory partwork and that was me hooked. I bought 1st issue, started reading the forum and that was it. I was loving it very much. I had completely no experience with wooden models, I was learning everything on the go. I started following other’s kit bashing and I started doing some mods myself. The build went for quite some time, and I had to put it on hold. I kept all the magazines and parts knowing that I will get back to it sooner rather than later. She went into the loft, survived two house moves and the time had come to get things restarted 😉
[/color]After about 7 years I finally got myself to finish it.During original build I added custom copper plating kit, instead of using a copper tape we were supplied with around 4000 copper tiles which were more to scale. It took absolutely forever to get the hull covered. I had to finish few things regarding copper tiling right now so it is slight difference in tiles tarnishing on the model.Please have a look at some pics from when I started cleaning the hull and coppering the rudder. There are also pics from the overall state when I left off. The deck planks are made off individual pieces instead as per instructions. More realistic look for sure.

tomganc

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Victory 1/84 by Tom
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 02:16:06 pm »

Hello again

I'm making the 6 top deck cannons and I'd like to add some details...
I will be using 2mm blocks for the proper rigging so there are some details required too ;)

First thing I found somewhere it was the wheels. Real cannon has much thicker wheel shafts than proposed brass ones and I managed to find just the right way of doing it. I can't remember where I saw this method but it works great.

Instead of using the brass rod I used tooth picks but you insert them from the outside of the carriage which means the spike goes into the wheel first and then comes out and into the carriage. This gives you thicker diameter on the outside which you can trim. I went a step forward and decided to show the metal strap on the wheel hub. Using method described at the gun port lids I made some eyes of the diameter just big enough to fit on the toothpick just outside the wheel. Then I cut the toothpick off and secured it all with tiny drop of super glue.
It looks really good and I'm pleased with the result so far.

Tonight I will be putting everything together; as you can see on the last pic there is quite few extras on each cannon ;)

My aim is to get started on the rear gallery this week, and probably do the carronades.

As promised another update on my build. I decided to get cracking with the gallery and gosh it was tons of work to get it nicely done. I'm almost there, just need to do some painting of black strips and little touch ups but it looks impressive already.

I couldn't resist to dry fit the masts and WOW I forgot how beautiful she is with them on :)

Have a look ;)

Net up will be fitting chainwales and little bits and pieces on the deck. Once done I'm off to making bowsprit :)

Ok folks time for a decent update on my build. I managed to take some decent photos tonight but before them I will need to post not so good ones but I think it is important to mention what mods I made.

I will start with carronades. The carriages used in the kit are waaaayyyy too big and I had to scrap them. I have used some left over copper plates to make brackets and a sliced skewer to get the wheels in the right size. It took some messing around to get them right but it looks much better. At least carronade is level with the wheels on.

With this done I got them put together, painted all the necessary details and I managed to use my own rope :)

Together with carronades I finished all 6 top deck cannons with rigging. I used 2mm block for side tackle and 3mm doubles for the main one. Only thing I have left to do is coiled up rope but I will get to that at some point ;)

Lastly I finished preparing chainwales and they are nearly ready for fixing onto the hull. I had to remove all the blocks as I decided to stain them so they look better than plain, I stained the deadeyes too. They I rigged them using my own 0.5mm rope which looks much better. I didn't tie just simple knots around them, I did it properly with thin thread and ca glue. You can't see it properly on the pics but I will try to get the better closeups later down the line when doing the masts blocks again.

At the end few pics of the gallery which looks better in this light. Still need to add some black strips (got the masking tape already).

I hope it is all helpful ;)

Regards
Tom

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Victory 1/84 by Tom
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 03:51:58 pm »

Looking really good, well done!

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.