Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Wood Care:

3 layer ply splitting?

(1/3) > >>

tizdaz:
hi guys,

so I'm making my bulwark supports using 5mm ply which is 3 layer.

Problem is no matter how careful i am, the top layer of the ply begins to peel or chip a little when im cutting it, I'm using a very fine tooth saw to try eliminate the issue but its still doing it slightly, so what's best method to avoid this, and how can i fix the pieces ive already cut to size!?

i need to make 38 of these supports so ideally i would rather eliminate this issue rather than having to fix each piece after I've cut them!

Cheers

BrianB6:
Sorry! but it sounds like you are using a cheap plywood.  5mm. should be at least 5 layers.  You could try masking tape on both sides of the plywood.
Better to start again with some better quality material.

tigertiger:
Firstly I agree with BrianB6, about the quality of the board. However, if it is what you have, then it is what you have.

I would check the outside edges of the sheet of ply to see if it is delaminating. If the edges are still sound, it should be OK. If the edges are splitting, then long term, any piece you cut may also split.

For cutting, I would try this. Tape both sides of cut location with tape, I prefer carpenters tape (this is the blue stuff that will not leave a residue). I would mark my line with pencil and then score the the cut line heavily with a sharp modelling knife or marking knife, before you saw. This will cut the fibers that are causing your surface splintering.

I hope this works for you.

Colin Bishop:
5mm sounds a bit thick for a bulwark support. What scale is the model?

Colin

tizdaz:

--- Quote from: Colin Bishop on January 12, 2022, 11:39:39 am ---5mm sounds a bit thick for a bulwark support. What scale is the model?

Colin

--- End quote ---

1/12 according to my plans, thats abbut corre0ct width.give or take about 1/2mm which im not fussed about  :-))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version