Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Icebreaker kits/plans?  (Read 3702 times)

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
Re: Icebreaker kits/plans?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 10:52:38 am »

Thank you, copies by email would be very useful.
I like the caption on the pic of the Sviatogor 'Imperial Russia' as the pic is dated only a few months before the revolution. The paddle tug is interesting as well.
I'll PM you my email address if that's OK

Thanks, Dave
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2022, 08:19:50 pm »

Hi Dave

I am also a little late on this. Possibly not as desirable as the Sankt Erik posted above, but I have a set of plans for the US Navy Wind class icebreakers of the late 1930s/WWII/post WWII. I am in the US but it should not be a huge issue to get them digitalized and sent to you and you could print them at the size you want to build in.

In addition, may I add a couple of comments as someone who has built/operated a working model icebreaker. You are right in realizing bigger/heavier has advantages, (I also have a St. Canute and while it certainly has the right shape, I would never consider it suitable unless it was scaled up to possibly three times the size!

Icebreakers as a rule are rounded out bathtubs, designed to ride up onto the ice from every angle and crush it with weight rather than cut it with shape. This makes even our heaviest model, (At least in the 36" range you desire) still relatively light in relation to the ice it might encounter. Also, virtually all of our RC boats have more "scale" power than the real ship. This combination can allow you to drive the entire ship up onto the ice, effectively beaching it, as even the props will be out of the water. :o {:-{   (No need to ask me how I know this) Sinking may be a little less embarrassing to an icebreaker. The best way I have found to help avoid this, other than proper throttle use, is to include or add the forward bump under the bow whether it is on the real ship or not. This bump is a pretty effective stop to limit the ship from getting too much unbroken ice under the bow.

Another thing to consider that has already been mentioned by others is preventing the ice from chipping or cutting into the bow. My favorite method is to copy the real ship again and add an "armored" bow when building. My choice is a belt of brass added that extends above an below the waterline and painted to match. The paint will have to be refreshed almost every time the ship is used to break ice, but other than that all of my reinforced bows have lasted the life of the ship with no need for maintenance or repair. The brass sheet need not be that thick and any number of glues will keep in in place.

Good luck and looking forward to your build.

Lou

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2022, 09:10:35 pm »

Thanks, Lou, good to hear other people's experience of ice breaking. It seems very remote when I sail on the same stretch of water with only the ducks to worry about, but looking back, the ice breaking was some of the most satisfying model boating I can remember, so will try to get something suitable ready before next winter.

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2022, 11:36:49 pm »

I suppose I probably belong on the crazy boater list somewhere if one exists.

Icebreaking is a very narrow venue for modelers when you stop and think of it and few venture out in the perfect conditions to really enjoy it, or have the boat to take advantage of it. Even fewer wish to subject their masterpiece that sometimes has taken them years to build to the rigors of breaking ice. Surprise surprise! I found that the most enjoyable icebreaking was when the main portion of the lake is open to normal use but the shoreline is lined with ice, preventing the normal or smaller boats from getting out without icebreaking assistance. It can also be fun to "make" a harbor with one or two channels in and out of the ice.  If you have enough icebreaking ships or conditions are right you can even make your own open area for sailing by breaking large sheets of ice away and pushing them away from your desired sailing area, or letting them drift away if conditions are right. The possibilities are endless.

I also enjoy extremely rough weather sailing with the waves breaking over the bow and the prop coming out of the water when sliding down the back of the waves!

For those reading this, another shortcut to the world of icebreaking can be achieved by building an icebreaking barge. They can be built quite heavy or use water ballast and need not be overly large to get the job done. That way you CAN use your little St. Canute or trawler or even warship. Can look a little odd with anything other than a tug but the enjoyment is the same.

Dress warm and enjoy. looking forward to see what you come up with and following the build Dave. 

Lou

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2022, 05:30:07 pm »

Had a great time this afternoon at our club's pond in Oxford, playing icebreaker with my Billing's Samson II. The ice wasn't too bad but just thick enough to make clearing a path through it a challenge. The boat isn't ideal for this role, being rather light and lacking any reinforcement in the bow.

I now have the urge to add an icebreaker to my pile of 'to do' projects, what's out there and available as either plan or kit? I am aware of the little Billings one, but think it would be too small and light to be effective, and I think I've seen a picture of some hugely expensive one that Graupner used to do.

Ideally looking for something fairly strong and about 3ft long - any bigger and it won't fit my bench or my storage area. Prefer something older rather a modern tower block - something like the good old Tarmo that's now a museum ship in Kotka, and would remind me of the many years I lived in Finland.

I have a clue about the plans of the I/B Voima. I haven't seen them. They are in private possession.

"Jos kiinnostaa niin olis Voiman piirustuksia, valokuvia ja rungon lesti."

Somebody else has plans of the newer, I/B Urho and sister ships Nordica/Fennica.

A hint about I/B Sampo even.

Still interested?

Hande
Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2022, 06:57:34 pm »

Kiitos, Hande - any idea where I might get plans for the older icebreakers? I must admit that my drive to make an icebreaker has reduced now that there is no ice - and no workshop until my son-in-law comes over to help me carry the bench back upstairs!

I have friends in Imatra - I hope they stay safe in the current situation. The village I lived in in Kymenlaakso was mostly second generation Karelians whose families had fled from the Russians in the talvisota/jatkäsota. I have no need to spell out how they must be feeling right now. My next door neighbour had a Suomi konepistoli hanging from an armchair in his lounge - just in case.

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2022, 08:15:50 pm »

Hi Dave

What do you mean "plans for older ice breakers?" I have a set of basic plans for the Wind class icebreakers if that is of interest.

The Ukrainians are doing an amazing job! I just wish that we had a President to match. We could, and should be doing so much more to help.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2022, 08:33:37 am »

Hande - my head was not thinking clearly yesterday - which Voima did you mean - the 50s one or the 1920s one? I used to see Tarmo in Kotka harbour quite often as I lived near Kouvola and my work place was split between the two towns, so to me that is the image I have of older Finnish icebreakers - even if she was built in Newcastle!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2022, 09:17:18 am »

Ice breaker hulls
Eisbrecher (trumoba.de)

John

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2022, 09:32:44 am »

Thanks, John, I'll bookmark that, could be an interesting project.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2022, 11:33:27 am »

Hi ya,

Just as a thought, have you looked on Sarik Hobbies website - there are 2 Icebreaker plans on their site which I can see.   One is a scale plan and the other one is a semi-scale plan.    I will put the links on for you

Norman Mcleod Rodgers - Plan + Article - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

forgot about
MM456 Magga Dan - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

Woden Icebreaker - Plan - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

john

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2022, 07:43:46 pm »

Thanks, John - the Magga Dan looks interesting. I do have some Model Maker magazines from 1957 but not that one.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2022, 10:34:39 pm »

Hande - my head was not thinking clearly yesterday - which Voima did you mean - the 50s one or the 1920s one? I used to see Tarmo in Kotka harbour quite often as I lived near Kouvola and my work place was split between the two towns, so to me that is the image I have of older Finnish icebreakers - even if she was built in Newcastle!

I just got this message and it did not give a more precise reference. The "lesti" (the molding helper thingy), I believe, is in scale 1/50.

I will call them to find out more and to enquire, if they would like to be in contact with you. Can you pm me your contact details?

Cheers! Hande
Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.