Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Build Kit  (Read 1209 times)

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New Build Kit
« on: January 11, 2022, 09:38:16 pm »

Hi, I'm just finishing off the Fairmount Alpine and am interested in purchasing another kit. There was one that caught my eye which is the Turk Model Nordic Emergecy Tug Boat 1:72. (Available at Cornwall Model Boats) Has anybody built this and what are your reviews on the kit?

Cheers Mike

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Build Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 06:27:26 am »

Hi not seen that kit you mention, but had a good look at the paddle boat kit they also make and the wood quality is good and the laser cutting excellent.  The detail of parts goes right down to the small items in the dining saloon.The fittings are resin and not my favourite but quite common now.  You may also find this kit under other names Modell-Tec and Nordic.... sorry can't remember the rest of the name.

The build instructions are all coloured and well printed, looked good to me.  I did not see a full size plan, can't blame them for that as I have seen rip off kits from China based on boat plans published here.
The only down side for me anyway was the additional drive parts for the paddles.  This was an excellent metal drive worm that aligns with a resin purpose made gear wheel, you do at least get 2 of them.  Make your own mind up on that.  I would have used a motor with a gearbox and a neoprene drive band.

However, if I did not have a backlog of boat builds I would be happy to purchase this kit as it saves so much time in the building with all the laser cut parts.

regards
Roy

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 07:53:54 pm »

Thanks Roy :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 07:59:47 pm »

Re the Skidbladner paddle steamer kit, that really does look very marginal as a practical working model. Flat calm conditions only I would think.

Colin

RST

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 08:13:40 pm »

Is that a re-doing of the Graupner Nordic?  They look very similar apart from the hull construction, the scale is almost the same?

Rich

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 09:51:00 am »

Re the Skidbladner paddle steamer kit, that really does look very marginal as a practical working model. Flat calm conditions only I would think.

Colin
If it's 1:60 as indicated and the registered tonnage is 206, at least according to Wiki, then my calcs indicate a starting weigh-in of just over 2lbs. I've no idea what the gross tonnage would be but you've probably got a total of 3.5lbs to work with..........tight(ish) %) This assumes it is the same kit on Cornwall and actually to scale.....no cheating!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.