Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastic 5 inch Turret gear ring an motor gearbox  (Read 1284 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Plastic 5 inch Turret gear ring an motor gearbox
« on: April 18, 2022, 08:36:50 pm »

as the title says as im tryin to make my gun turret turn can any one help me
chris

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Plastic 5 inch Turret gear ring an motor gearbox
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 09:46:33 pm »

Hi Chris,

The options fall into Direct mechanical and indirect mechanical with digital options.

Direct Mechanical is where you mount the turret onto a servo in some way and this turns the turret within the limits of the servo* You can use a stepper motor in the same way using a computer or ESC control.

Indirect Mechanical is where you either use two gears, one on the servo/motor and a larger gear on the turret, or you use a belt or cable and pulleys. The latter can be used to control a number of turrets at once, but you have to make sure they do not revolve too much and hit superstructure or other turrets.

Digital control using say Arduino or Raspberry Pi mini computers allows you to use stepper motors and program speed of rotation and traverse limits.

Have a look at Battleship builds especially those by Geoff (HMS Iron Duke, Invincible etc) and also there is a build log here of HMS Rodney by C3PO HMS Rodney (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)

A lovely chap called Bob K was/is working on a model of HMS Agincourt and he did lots of development along side Geoff and C3PO. I recall stepper motors being involved.
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 09:50:47 pm »

An option might be if you can get hold of toothed printer drive belt and gears from an old printer

If you can work out the circumference of your turret ring and then cut the length of drive belt to complete teeth length you could glue this around a wooden or plastic disk to create your large traverse ring, and then use a drive gear on the servo/motor.
Pond weed is your enemy

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 10:03:24 am »

frogman3,
             Have you looked in the Tutorials section, "Pulley Power"?   It might give you some ideas.
Guess you don't want to use a Sailwinch servo, perhaps with extras to limit and slow its travel.
Glynn Guest

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 09:56:17 pm »

as the title says as im tryin to make my gun turret turn can any one help me
chris
Chris
look at mikes page for an item call turret servo control, I use this and it sorts all the problems using a servo. mount turret on servo with the module beteween it and rx, then set it up.  You can adjust speed of traverse and the bets bit is when you let go of the stick the turret stys there unlike with a normal servo set up returning to fore and aft.  Its dead simple alost plug and play, not find better.

Bob
I will finish this model

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 04:07:27 pm »

As an alternative you can use servo sized sail winches as they have more than 180 degrees travel. You can either control the throw by adjusting the transmitter and even speed (if you have a sophisticated set up). There are also servo throw devices available which will work.

Theoretically this will give you automatic beam to beam with return to center line. In practice I find a little tweak is need due to the electronics in the sail winched having a tiny dead band.

If there is not room directly beneath a turret you can use the same winch set up remotely with a toothed belt or used fishing line (which I do) . You fix the fishing line permanently on the center of a wooden or plastic wheel/drum beneath the turret so it can't slip. You can also use Bowden cables if the winch has to be really remote as that works as well.

Be aware that to get to 95% accuracy may take x amount of effort, to get to 100% accuracy will take 100 x effort!!

Cheers

Geoff

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 05:22:22 pm »

Hi  have a look at this , it may help you

how to make a working gun turret (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.