Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Motor mounting  (Read 1348 times)

Shellback

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Help! Motor mounting
« on: January 26, 2022, 10:57:40 pm »

I have a problem. I returned to model boats after a long absence. No kidding, a very long absence. I am a woodcarver, mostly retired, but I have some skills that are transferable to the hobby. I have a Caldercraft Northlight started, with the wheelhouse and foredeck mostly complete.  Now I require skills to install the motor and associated batteries, ESC, etc.

I find that the angle of the prop shaft means that the motor has to be mounted on the extreme bottom of the hull. I can glue wooden battens to the hull on either side of the motor but I don’t know if there is a means of strapping it down. Is there a proprietary device to do this or shall I fabricate straps?

Then there is the problem of fixing the battery and ESC. The receiver I guess can be attached by Velcro, being fairly light but what of mounting associated devices such as isolator, off/on and charge/discharge switches, wiring connectors and basic wiring runs? Connector blocks?

I have no ambitions to add operating cranes and other esoteric gubbins but would like running lights. The wheelhouse and nav lights have “grain o’ wheat” incandescent bulbs installed - the build was shelved before LEDs were more than a laboratory curiosity.

So I abase myself before you and humbly ask you to share the fruits of your extensive experience. And if you could give me a few tips too I would be very grateful.

***Topic name edited to attract more responses*** (*topic name edit*)
TT
No, really; I WILL get round to it

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help! Motor mounting (*topic name edit*)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 10:45:29 am »

Ah Shellback, if only this forum had a search function to answer such questions.  Oh wait, it does but I agree it doesn't always lead you to something useful.

Try looking in the Technical...Tutorials...Motor Mounting and you might find some answers.

Glynn Guest

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help! Motor mounting
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 02:48:47 pm »

Hi, You often have this problem, when the motor sits on the bottom. You may find that you have to elevate the motor to get clearance and if you do make sure that there enough room if you have to change motor for another. A few degrees elevation of the motor is nothing at the prop end. nemesis

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 03:01:19 pm »

The best way of learning what/where and how is, as GG notes, looking through the many pics on Mayhem of just how others have dealt with the same problem. Simplest ways are often the best so, for example, many of us have just stuck the motor in with bathroom sealant! You may have to use some small wedges to get it all lined up but at lest you've got a fighting chance of cutting it out again if you make a pigs-ear. This assumes you're using a brushed motor but that's probably the case for a working boat. You could make a trough for the batteries and, again, stick that in with sealant. Since the battery is probably the heaviest item, leave the sticking in until you've got the boat lying reasonably in line with the waterline.There are loads of options but just make sure you can get at what you put in :-))

Shellback

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 07:06:39 pm »

Thank you all for your help; as always you have demystified an outwardly perplexing problem. I shall navigate to the Tutorials area, if I can successfully answer the questions in the UK citizenship exam and provided that it accepts that this is 2022. And assuming I can find the Tutorials area. This is one enormous website…  ;)
No, really; I WILL get round to it

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 09:30:26 pm »

Hi that is good advice from TonyH I use bathroom sealant and it will easily stick the Northlight motor in place.  You can sort of tune it by using a 1.5 volt battery connected directly to the motor (no esc) and move the motor gently around to give the easyist drive. 

Make sure, if you are using Shuco couplings on a threaded prop shaft that the coupling is dead square as they are often off a few degrees and make some noise.  Perhaps build up some washers against the plain part of the shaft and gently lock in place.
Good luck
Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 02:03:50 am »

Hi Shellback
The tutorials board can be found here https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,111.0.html
I have linked to the board, not just the thread on motor mounts, as there are several threads that may be of use to you, including the one on prop alignment.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.