Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheddar Proteus Valve Timing  (Read 1109 times)

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Cheddar Proteus Valve Timing
« on: January 28, 2022, 11:18:12 pm »

I've recently acquired a Cheddar Proteus engine that has had the reversing lever modified which I'd like to revert to the original arrangement. I'm cautious that in stripping down to replace it I may alter the valve timing. Having never dealt Maudsley valve gear before I wonder if anyone has stripped a Proteus down and can advise how to go about re-setting it if necessary.

A photo of the engine is below. It was missing the flywheel when it arrived but fortunately I had one in my spares box that had been there since Cheddar cleared their stores when they closed down!

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cheddar Proteus Valve Timing
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 11:07:23 am »

I have a Proteus that is standard but have not done any work on it, have attached a photo of the reversing to try and help you, will watch your post with interest, good luck, Dave

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 11:50:30 am »

Hello, an easy way to keep the valve timing as it is now, is to mark the points of contact of all gears and the positions of eccentrics+straps with a marker before disassembly.

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 04:54:32 pm »

Thankyou both, the photo will be handy to scale the replacement lever. Calin, that was my thinking re. maintaining the current valve timing, however it's likely been changed when the lever was replaced, especially considering the following - I've tried running on air, it'll only run in one direction and requires a fair pressure on there (need to rig up a better set up as the rubber pipe keeps blowing off), so I tried on steam, again, one direction only. It feels tighter than just needing running in, although I've seen a few threads on here where a Proteus has required considerable running in. I have disconnected the pump as I am told the O-rings don't like running dry.

I doubt that this is helping - the reversing mechanism seems to kick across when changing direction. I'm tempted to just bit the bullet and strip it down and hope someone knows how to set the timing. See the video below. In the video, the direction that I am turning the engine over initially is the direction it will not run in.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JUgn7ySvqGU?feature=share

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 04:55:37 pm »

The photo I was trying to attach to the above message.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 05:54:02 pm »

The reversing mechanism should only move left to right. It looks like the stub reversing lever has too much play where it pivots.

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 06:25:10 pm »

Have watched the video and agree there is far to much side to side play in the mechanism, here is a link to a video of mine operating https://youtu.be/S6uXrJmN7rM
Hope this helps, Dave

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 12:07:04 pm »

Jim
I don't have much experience with a Cheddar Proteus engine other than a number of years ago I did some adjustments to a friends engine.

1st
Thing that I would do if it was my engine is to tighten and secure the reversing Mech and stop the cross shift when operating.
If you look at Dave's engine there are nuts on the end of the pivoting bolts making everything secure.

2nd
I would check the timing,
Take off the fly wheel and remove the pump, replace the flywheel as this makes it easy to turn the main shaft by hand.

3rd
 Remove the steam chest covers but leave them with 1- bolt fixing to keep the steam chest from moving , keep the top left hand hole on the stud and tighten it up with the steam chest and valves visible.,
This allows you to see the slide valves which I recall are round not square as other engines.

4th
Turn the engine over by hand and this should move the reversing Mech to establish which position establishes the direction of the main shaft
Turn the main shaft over by hand and as the valve come up to T.D.C.  there should be just a crack visible between the valve and the steam passage as the shaft goes over T.D.C., if this is way out adjust the valve rod until you see just a crack off opening
Now go around to the other valve  and do the same by rotating the main shaft remembering that you turn in the opposite direction of the first valve adjustment .
You can now see if the valves are opening at the correct time by moving the reversing Mech by hand. 

5th
Connect up to an air line or steam line and see if it drives the engine, it should if you have set the valves as I have described.

The Maudsley reversing gear is very similar to Slip eccentric reversing, very clever

My explanation if not correct  may entice  somebody who knows the proper method to reply.

Please keep us posted

George.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.