Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Memphis-Belle" trap boat prawn trawler  (Read 6549 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
"Memphis-Belle" trap boat prawn trawler
« on: January 31, 2022, 10:42:26 pm »

Hi Guys, I have been trying to post this new build for the last 2 weeks , so will send the info through with no photos attached see if this works before trying to send the photos ???? this latest model I'm working on is an old Ballina girl, ( Ballina is on the Northern Rivers of N.S.W) the "Memphis-Belle" owned by Cec Heynatz , she was built at Tuncurry around 1947-49 ?. Kevin Rasmussen ( holding the half scale model ) , was able to have a loan of the original half scale model she was built from, Kevin traveled up and stayed with us for a couple of days , we transferred the lines of the model, which then I was able to draw the plans from, it doesn't get any better than having the actual lines of the vessel you want to build ,takes all the guess work out of combing through photo's ( if any) and trying to draw as close to the shape as possible. At present Kevin is also building a model of her, Kevin makes his models to the 1:12 scale 1"-1' , mine are made to the 1:16 scale 3/4"-1'. I was also fortunate to be given an enlarged colour photo of the "M-B" tied up to the wharf at Ballina (mid 1970's ?) by Brock Wager (son inlaw of the "Memphis-Belle" owner) and also plenty of info on her ,much appreciated. Well the materials being used on her are, the keel & deadwood areas are of Spotted gum ( found an old piece in the Family shed at the Byron Bay , it looked as old as the boat would be ?) Tassy oak for the stem & deck beams, the stringers & ribs are of Beech ( supplied by Kevin) and the planking is of Bolly gum ( supplied by Peter Hammond ).....cheers.....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: "Memphis-Belle" trap boat prawn trawler
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 10:52:02 pm »

Fingers crossed  see if the photo's go through ? 
Brian  B

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 10:56:51 pm »

Yep, photos came up nicely Brian  :-))

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 04:47:26 am »

Hi Brian - the photos are on the forum as Ray had said. I’m looking forward to this one and the half model is amazing  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 08:50:19 am »

Hi  Ray & Mark , yes I don't know what the go was there , Peter Fitness suggested posting separately to see what happens, see what happens with the next one, the half scale model was a bonus to have a lend of , as we all know so much history of  the start of vessels life as in half scale models or plans have been disposed of over the years, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 11:14:41 am »

That's a piece of work B.B.  :o    :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 10:51:11 pm »

Thanks Martin, she isn't what you would call a pretty boat very basic lines ( work horses) as they did back in that time, not like the lovely double enders they were constructing in the UK during that time, we did improve out here  O0 :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 01:36:58 am »

Hi there, with this section of photo's are of all the  frames set up, then running the chine stringer through ,then followed by her other stringers which are 8 x 5 mm Beech ,also  the 5 x 3mm ribs are Beech. cheers  :-)) .    looks like have to send separately again ?
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 07:23:12 am »

Well , no luck loading this section of photo's ,try tomorrow ??????
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 01:32:02 am »

Hi there trying again to send :-))
Brian  B

marco

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Is Great !
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 07:07:34 am »

Bonjour ,

splendid , very nice work .

marco
if you don't know ask , if you know share

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 07:50:43 am »

Hi there, thanks Marco, this next section of photo's, shows the Bollygum planking left over from the "Beninda" build, being skimmed down from 3 + mm to just over 2 mm, then the start of her planking, garboard planks and steelers, with her she had a heavier chine plank and also her deck level plank for the sponsons.Pre fitted the running gear ( servo ,ESC etc bases) before deck beams installed. I'm installing the same type of motor as I eventually put in the "Beninda" model cheers  :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 04:22:36 pm »

Love your carpentry Brian its just so clean and accurate  :-))   I really like the way you have cut the rabbet on the forefoot running up the stem.  That will make for some really nice and smooth planking!  Lovely work!!

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 08:44:18 pm »

Morning, thank you  Mark, I seem to be having a lot of trouble with  sending each post ? just going to have another go at sending this next section of photo's, cheers.
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 09:39:40 pm »

Morning, thank you  Mark, I seem to be having a lot of trouble with  sending each post ? just going to have another go at sending this next section of photo's, cheers.

It's because you're upside down  {-)   Seriously though you have always managed to post ok before.  Have you messaged Martin to see if there is some sort of internet issue??  I find it really frustrating when things don't work as I hoped they would.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 11:10:28 pm »

Hi Mark, I was talking to Peter Fitness and Peter was in contact with Martin and said no changes up there,I know we are one of the last streets to have the copper lines replaced with the fibre Optic cable for the internet (as they were in the street a week or so ago cleaning cleaning and dragging cables through getting ready for it ?) but haven't lost internet bit slow at times ,still doing the same as here sitting in the chair in the same position as normal  O0 so yes it probably is this end , i will try again Cheers :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 09:32:50 am »

:-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 08:50:12 am »

Hi guys, This section is of the models stand, my neighbor Bez dropped off a piece of  Camphour, I don't know if you guys have it in the UK ?, it can have some stunning grain display through it, we had a steering wheel made from it in the early 1970's by a Mr Barney Argles of Byron Bay, he must have made hundreds of them in his small tin shed behind his home, I believe he made the best steering wheels in Australia.So with the section I was given I was able to cut out the base for the stand, and with the uprights that section came from an old cupboard,not sure what timber its is at first thought it may be mirante but seems a bit heavy, wasn't soft especially when I hit an old nail with the band saw. Cheers  :-))
Brian  B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 12:05:25 pm »

Probably the prettiest boat stand I've ever seen!
    :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 06:57:31 pm »

The stuff dreams are made of in the Uk !

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 11:10:36 pm »

Having caught up on this latest gem of a project, it is a pleasure to see you still at your best Brian. The selection of indigenous timbers you have is a treat for us with our nice but not always that interesting timbers*.

Thinking about what you said about her design, I am certain you will make a beautiful model whatever style the original designers damned her with. Likewise, the stand does not look like wood, it looks more like a toffee or boiled sweet slab! I know you can polish or varnish up a piece of timber to super standards of depth, but this is another level! I have never seen Camphor in a timber merchants in the UK. We have a number of tropical timbers but not Camphor.

Out of interest, some Acacia species contain psycoactive compounds so be careful if someone offers you any for a project, you might build a 'Spaced' ship!!

*To be fair to our trees, there are some pretty grains such as 'fiddleback', or burling from the knobbly bits on some trees. Then there is spelting that spoils wood, but is prized for wood turning. I used to watch the wood turners at tool expos, it was very educational and relaxing. But nothing is as exceptional as those you have in Oz.

I am looking forward to developments in this build  :-)) :-))

Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2022, 07:15:39 am »

Thanks guys for all the comments, with the Camphor laurel trees they are classed as a noxious weed in Australia apparently it was introduced down here in 1822, I know the cut offs and shavings are good to put in the cupboards ,repels moths and insects, and smells nice in small doses  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 09:01:00 am »

Hi there, I gave the inside of the hull 2 coats of resin all up 1/2 Kg before brushing the white undercoat on , then it had 2 light sprays of Dulux metal sheild epoxy white enamel. The deck beams are a mixture of  spotted gum  & Tassy oak , with the 2 tins of wood preserver ,I got these out of the old shed at Byron Bay , left over from a job we did on our timber trawler in 1988, I did try it out first on some timber as good as gold so applied 2 coats on the outside of the hull ( the Bollygum loved it ).  The beams for the lift out deck sections are of the Colonial Teak, then used 1.5 mm ply )prior to decking strips)  cheers .
Brian  B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2022, 01:27:31 pm »

She is certainly a 'beamy design ratio' BB  ...and as we would say 'built like a brick s***house'....  O0

That Wattyl 2 pak Timber Preservative has the HAZCHEM 3YE warning, but looks as though it may have been manufactured before 'Use by Dates' were introduced

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2022, 06:51:56 pm »

The picture through the hull is fantastic it really shows the accuracy of the build  :-))   I also agree with Martin that stand is beautiful - in fact it’s given me an idea for the future!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.