Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Memphis-Belle" trap boat prawn trawler  (Read 6382 times)

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: "Memphis-Belle" trap boat prawn trawler
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2022, 11:35:36 am »

Wow, that is a seriously nice build, what craftsmanship, stunning. And the stand looks fantastic.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2022, 08:35:37 pm »

Hi  Guys,  I'm pretty sure Mark if that stand gave you any ideas you will make it turn out smiko.
Still having trouble sending photos through ( we haven't the greatest internet down here ?)

Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 12:45:34 pm »

Hi  Guys,  I'm pretty sure Mark if that stand gave you any ideas you will make it turn out smiko.
Still having trouble sending photos through ( we haven't the greatest internet down here ?)

Cheers Brian  :-))   I'm looking at a piece of Purple Heart wood for a base.  I've never been able to use it before but seeing yours I think I now have a purpose for a piece  :-))

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 02:12:12 pm »

I’m at a loss to find appropriate superlatives for your workmanship. Truly incredible in all respects!
At this stage what does the hull weigh?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2022, 09:57:11 pm »

The trouble with camphor laurel is, while it's a beautiful and aromatic timber, here on the north coast of NSW it's a real pest. It's taken over thousands of acres of land, usually in steeper, or more rocky areas, and it's very difficult to eradicate. When it's cut down, the stump needs to be poisoned or it will simply re-grow, I know from past experience. A popular use for the timber is the construction of boxes, or chests of drawers, to store clothing likely to be attacked by moths, the camphor odor keeps them away. As can be seen on the piece used by Brian for his boat stand base, the timber has a beautiful grain, and looks fabulous when clear coated.

Peter.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2022, 02:29:39 am »

Hi Mark , sounds interesting Purple Heart, sounds like a dark grained timber ?Hi Chum444 , I never bother to weigh them before being finished ,but I can tell you the finished model (less battery and ballast) weighs 6 Kg, actually launched her yesterday at model club , Peter had to do a salvage job on her using his Nordkap fishing vessel (blew a fuse :) ).With the Camphor being poisonous it always a musses me ( yeah I know doesn't take much to amuse me  O0 ) when I rarely go to the local markets there is always a stall there selling beautifully camphor made cutting board , for cutting food on it ??? ,well still having trouble sending post with photo's attached ,will try now again about 5th time since last section went through , cheers :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2022, 12:06:35 pm »

Hi There, see if this go's through ????For the front deck cover strips ( and the main deck) I cut up the curved section of an old chair, surprised how many staples they used to connect the Upholstery to it, I think the person was paid by each staple. I cut up Beech for the decking strips 5 x 1.8 mm , also the black cardboard strips for the pitch seems, then the  laying of the Beech strips and cardboard...Cheers ..
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2022, 05:38:21 pm »

Using cardboard strips for the caulking is I think the best way to do it. It just looks so realistic  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2022, 08:22:59 pm »

Hi guys,  Hi Mark , as you probably already know the trick when using cardboard is to cut it slightly less height than the decking strips as even with a sharp chisel, sometimes it feathers out instead of skimming off nice and level.With this section of shots , Beech decking finished, start of the w-house , ply base with a mixture of spotted gum and tassy oak studs , beams etc ,cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2022, 07:42:43 pm »

Hi Guys, these photo's are, installed all the staunchon post and bracing them prior to planking etc.
For the front fairleeds  made these from the Colonial teak, also used the Colonial Teak on trimming and beading around the w-house, cheers .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2022, 08:32:29 pm »

Carpentry and ship building at its finest - Brian that is just so nice  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2022, 08:30:16 pm »

Hi Guys, Thank  you Mark , well having no luck here send photo's through ,internet not the best and now we have rain (especially when all their cabling and connectors under ground ??) , cheers   >>:-(

Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2022, 05:55:51 pm »

Hi Guys,
Only sending 2 photo's see if it go's through ? .....Start of the trawl winch, with these earlier trawl winchs , the trawl drums were running off a car or small truck differential which was powered from the main engine by belt or chain drives, cheers .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2022, 06:10:00 pm »

Hi, well that post just went through so will try my luck again, next section are the w-house with vents etc and side navigation boxing, Mast and its stay straps, then the copper flange bases for the front hand railing post. She also had rollers attached either side of the stem for the anchor.cheers.  :-))
Brian  B

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2022, 12:14:46 pm »

Looking great Brian!!  :-)) :-)) 

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2022, 02:07:21 am »

Thank you Dreadnought, have been trying to send more of the build but hopeless trying to send with photo's especially with the Flooding in the area, the internet has been down ,apparently up and running again but it is still useless ,cheers  :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2022, 07:35:09 pm »

Brian I've seen the flooding on the news and it looks terrible.   I hope that you and the other guys on the forum in your area are all ok mate.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2022, 09:20:19 am »

Hi Mark, the floods from Brisbane down to Sydney have been a shocker ,we are okay here thank you we are up on the hill ,but the Lismore business center and township certainly copped it,sad to see, I know of one of the guys in the model club that was flooded.I did try and send the post with photo's still not having any luck ,cheers :((
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2022, 08:57:04 pm »

Hi Guy's , Here go's again ,I made the  A-frame trawl davits to how she was set up in the 1960's, a they only towed single dear around then only had to make the 2 trawl boards.With the anchor, I have had a white metal Admiralty type anchor sitting in the bits n pieces box for years to use one day ,but wasn't quiet large enough , so decided to make one out of brass, I'd like to say it all went to plan, but messed up ( once again  ) I cut the shank out and didn't allow for the attachment hole for the shackle & chain ???  always comes back to the old saying 'Measure 2wice ,Cut Once', cheers  .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2022, 12:06:39 pm »

Hi Guys , I tried a different way with this model's rudder, soldered the lower shaft section to the rudder, then slotted the top section to slide down over the top section of rudder and pinned using 1.6 mm brass bolts.[/size][/color]Then the primering of the bits n pieces. Why is it that the Vinal sheets of letterings never have enough of the letters and numbers you seem to use more of ???.[/font][/size][/color]The local Boat building & Engineering yard ,started to make these type of prawn cookers ( early 1960's) when they found a need to be able to cook the prawn while at sea instead of waiting till they were landed at the local Co-Ops, earlier ones were run by diesel and run off the main engine blower , later most went to LP Gas ,and also the shape of the cooker went to a rectangle shape.[/font]Then , all painted up and ready for her final fit out, she had a hungry board bolted round the bottom area of her front hand railing so I glued and used copper wire should be strong enough, cheers. :-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2022, 12:08:19 pm »

Trying again?
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2022, 09:27:17 pm »

The image of the fantastic anchor you made gives a real sense of the size of this boat. Mate its huge 😲

It must also have taken a lot of timber to get this far. I underestimated my own build but this is on a different scale.

Such an amazing build  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2022, 10:13:19 am »

Hi there, thank you Mark, she's probably not as big as you think she's only 43 inchs and bit narrow at 10 & 7/8 inch outside planking ( the next one will have plenty of timber in her  O0 ) cheers  :-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2022, 07:48:05 pm »

Hi guys, I've been using these X car 45 ESC 's in all my model's whilst using the 7.4 V Lipo batteries , when I connected the battery up , the ESC also went up (up in smoke), so naturally I re checked all the wiring and tattered wiring diagram, to see if I messed up, NO ? so re wired the last one I had and up she went as well ( as in the photo),so then dragged out a Viper Marine 20 ( had sitting there for 9 yrs) worked good as gold , the rest of the photo's are of her prior to launching, cheers .....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2022, 07:50:24 pm »

Shock horror ,after about 20 attempts it went through.
Brian  B
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.