Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Printed outboard motor  (Read 1363 times)

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
3D Printed outboard motor
« on: February 02, 2022, 11:06:29 pm »

A very clever guy on http://www.thingiverse.com has developed a 3D printable outboard motor. I decided to have a go at building one.

Most of the parts can be 3D printed then you'll need some 3mm brass rod, 5mm brass tube, 1mm brass rod and some M2 nuts and bolts. Power is supplied with a 2212 brushless motor.

The project on Thingiverse has detailed instructions and it can all be downloaded at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5212312

A picture of my build is below and this is the video of the maiden voyage with it mounted on a rough and ready test hull. It has exceeded my expectation and credit must go to Christian Pomeroy for a simple but highly effective design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4h5G1Amlp0

RST

Re: 3D Printed outboard motor
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 01:20:25 am »

Looks good, theres a great thread on 3D printed outboards on RC groups if it helps and a somewhat diatasterous thread (I think) on model-boats forum.

...keep us posted how you get on.
Rich

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 05:06:32 pm »

Almost like a Seagull..

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 05:18:16 pm »

I believe that Christian modeled it on Seagull, so its sort of a Seagull derivative. Let's face it, I have 2 Seagulls and the simple engineering has kept them running for donkey's years, one for 58 years and the other 65 years. I have a feeling I will be replacing the gears in this mini one a lot more regularly  :}

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 06:57:24 pm »

I got such a machine from hell in the late 1970's, my first one.  Air cooled which made a hell of a noise.  But a cool working horse, wasn't fast but it didn't care much what it was shoving.The thingiverse part is cool! No need yet but if, it would run together with a sound module  {-) best,
joerg
Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 09:17:45 am »

So it has been a little over 18 months since I built my first outboard, I did modify it slightly after the first run. Primarily, I changed the 3mm shaft for an 1/8th shaft that I machines the gearbox end down to 3mm.

18 months of running the outboard fairly regularly and I had my first failure, losing all drive. On examination, the gear on the main shaft  (printed in PETG) had worn on the back surface to the point where the slot that engaged the cross pin on the driveshaft has been worn away. Printed and bitted a new gear and back to fully working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.