Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Aziz static to rc  (Read 9591 times)

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Aziz static to rc
« on: February 04, 2022, 07:26:51 pm »

Bought this boat for a different type of modelling, usually do rc tanks. Fitted 2 rc car motors and a couple of 50 A marine esc's to check for leaks,( rudders and shafts ) thought this would be a fast conversion as it was built up. Found out that it need a lot of work, glue as dot and dab and many parts loose and water finding its way in all over the place. First up was remove the forward decking  an easy job due to the glue used. Fitted a bow thruster but changed it to the lowest possible position, removed the rubber fenders as the little chain fixing let the water in and fitted tubes for the anchors then sealed up all the holes. No leaks after repositioning bow thruster, deck and sealing up all the holes. Fitted an Action Electronics P93 and a P102 3 motor board, change the motors then blew the P93 (wrong polarity ) its away for repair. Have wired up a crawler/boat ABSIMA esc as a temp for the bow thruster , set radio to 50% travel to reduce the voltage but it also halfs the reverse to 25%. Will give it a sail to double check prop shafts and rudder for water.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aziz static to rc
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 12:44:02 pm »

4th time lucky no water in hull. Might change motors from 2.5 to 6/1 ratio or just set sticks for lower speed.https://www.youtube.com/shorts/RiLn6z7z0vs  Bow looks down going but at rest is ok.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 12:53:18 pm »

Hi,
     What battery/motors combination are you using? That's way too fast for the type of boat, I used MMM T20 motors in all of my Tugs with 12 volt 7AH lead acid batteries but there are other alternatives i.e. brushless etc. Good luck with the progress.
           Regards, Pete. :-)) :-))

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 12:56:10 pm »

The white metal fittings will add a lot of weight high up, any good plastic fittings for the winches and crane. Has anyone used plastic/ styrene for ladders and the stairs and what size ,can't see 1/50 its all railway codes for size .

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 01:09:37 pm »

Hi FASTFAZ  Have mfa 919D motors with 2.5 gearing and a 12v 7 a/h battery. Gave it full stick to check the sealed up holes . I am thinking that for now i will just set limits on the sticks, this is my first boat . Going to try and set the radio up for the twin motors ,  one stick for motors forward/reverse and turning , other stick rudder and bow thruster .

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 02:13:26 pm »

Hi Ronnie,
     Normal set up for a twin screw Tug would be tank steering i.e. left stick Port motor right stick Starboard motor both up for forward and down for reverse, you could operate the two motors using a Y lead from each ESC to the receiver but if there is any difference between the two motors start point of power ( a bit like tickover in a car) it will affect the straight running of the boat. My set up was as above with rudder left to right on the right stick and Bow thruster left to right on the left stick, once you get used to it you can steer the boat just using the power of the motors for example to go Port use reverse on the left stick and forward on the right stick. There is lots of info and help on set up and steering on the forum have a browse there are some very helpful people on here. Hope this helps.
           Cheers, Pete. :-)) :-)) :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 03:15:40 pm »

You can also use a mixer which will enable both screws to be controlled from the left hand stick.

Explanation here:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/media/sparsh/product_attachment/P40D_compressed.pdf

Colin

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 06:26:49 pm »

The component shop/action electronics, sent a board back for repair over a week ago. They have not phoned or emailed me a price for the repair, how long is the average turnaround on repairs?  I am 2 stanchions short for the AZIZ rebuild, can't find any of the flat stamped out ones , its all the round versions, who sells this type. Found a detailed build and followed the spacings from the lifeboat to the crane . Need the ones for each end , curved the ends for now.

mountfleet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 07:06:25 pm »

Hi Ronnie42, if you make a list of the bits you need and email it to me, I can sort out the bits.
Adam
Mountfleet models

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 02:43:55 pm »

Thanks Adam  . i know i need a few stanchions, lifebouys, some valves and quite a few photo etch valve handles. Will make a list and send to Mountfield models. Doing a rebuild without the kit instructions is problematic as i have discovered that when you look at images no two builds are alike . If you want to add detail thats OK as a search brings up lots of builds. Found one thats interesting, AZIZ red merlin rebuild  like the curved rails on the work deck.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 04:58:49 pm »

Fixed a few mistakes, stairs in wrong place so vents , lifeboat cradle and railings needed redone . Added some detail , other side to fix now. Trying to replace some white metal parts with styrene to reduce weight above the waterline. Images show up all the faults ,need to fix railing stanchion.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 05:47:00 am »

Hi Ronnie42

I have the build book if you need any info just ask.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 10:19:25 pm »

Bought some styrene ladders to replace the white metal ones, fixed the steps and had a search for OSV and tug deck colours. Only found one build that said Tamiya Nato green mixed with Deck tan. Sprayed some greens to decide what shade i like. This is the time to accept Freds offer of help, a  side view of the small deck fitting , bow mast height and lighting positions as the boat only has lower half. 

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 04:52:32 am »

Hi Ronnie 47

I will photo copy the foremast drawings later on today,
You ask for the small deck fittings would that be the ones on the working deck?
I am going to my club today so will ask one of our members if I can take some photos of his boat, as mine is still in its box.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 11:27:26 am »

Hi Fred  It’s the small fittings on the mid deck at the railings beside the crane and lifeboat . That’s the 3rd place I have seen the group of 3 valves. The original placement on my 2nd hand boat was at the gates towards the rear workdeck, looked wrong as the gates when open hit the valves☹️. Does the kit have a colour chart? .Valves and decks ,the web searches have work deck a different colour on some boats .

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 06:06:44 pm »

Hi Ronnie

I am hoping to be able to go round to my mates house this coming Tuesday so that I can take as many photos as I wish of his Aziz.
If you would P/M me your email address so that I can send them to you. I hope that the pdf file that I have attached works.

Fred

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 06:12:45 pm »

Hi
I have found these

Fred

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2022, 10:01:17 pm »

Hi Fred   Perfect , nice pics and the mast detail saves a lot of internet searches. I can work out the height by comparing against the upper decks. Another plus is the lighting with the colours.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2022, 10:13:53 pm »

Added some detail at front, found a Dutch build . On to the lights before primer and fixing issues . Trying the enamel coated wire, its nice and thin but a pain to strip. Fitted floodlight( drilled out kit one) and a navigation light . Angle looks ok but need to fill the gap at the back of the floodlight to seal light at the back

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 05:33:25 pm »

Trying to reduce the weight up top, drilled the bollards out for styrene rod fixings and the vents were replaced with styrene tubes. As the white metal is soft, clamping to drill round parts is a pain. The winches add a fair bit of weight up top. Will try BLUESTUFF to mould the round parts and styrene for the rest, if that does not work will buy plastic winches. As i live near the coast want the weight low down.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 08:44:57 pm »

Great job on that refurbishment and a very nice build so far!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 07:56:51 am »

Hi Ronnie24
Sorry that I have not posted any photos of the area that you asked for, it is just that my mate has had to self isolate so have not been able to get around to his place.

Fred

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 10:53:54 am »

Hi all   Thanks for looking in , Fred as they say  stay safe. A little bit of brass work, grill for bow thruster . Fitted to check, next one will be easy as i can just copy.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 09:44:41 am »

Hi Ronnie

These may be of some help, if you need any more then please ask

Fred

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2022, 07:45:58 pm »

Thanks Fred    The little vents and other fitting were hard to see on most pics of the AZIZ . Started the white paint for the superstructure, white is a real pain to paint. Its going to be at least 2 jars of Tamiya X-2  , lots of fine coats required .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.