Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cousteau's Calypso (Build Log)  (Read 10472 times)

captain_reg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Cousteau's Calypso (Build Log)
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2022, 04:32:29 pm »

Just noticed a You Tube video about Calypso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKL1HTM0ij0

Colin

Just came across that video earlier this week by chance and that's what made me search out this thread... I thought it was a great video and really made me want to find out more about what appears to be a fascinating story.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2022, 06:30:53 am »

Just noticed a You Tube video about Calypso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKL1HTM0ij0

Colin

Thanks for the link, Colin. I've seen a couple of documentaries and also read the book about Calypso and it's interesting to see how they modified, rebuilt and repositioned her during her lifetime. Case in point is the helicopter pad which used to be located at the bow and was later moved aft, for visibility reasons I assume.

Hullo Dom......if you are chasing vibrations, so a few assumptions  %)

Hi Derek, as always great to read your considerations. But not to worry, I gave her a dry test rund yesterday and I am happy to report that with the new double cardans and the newly machined inserts everything runs now smoothly as a silken cat  ok2   :-))
I guess Colin was right in his assumption that one of the the red cardan couplers I was using first must have been the culprit. In hindsight, I could have just replaced the vibrating coupler with a new, true one. But hindsight is 20/20, as the saying goes.

Dom
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2023, 02:26:30 pm »

I gave her her first dip in the water. Test tank time! Weighing her down a bit with some key rings and old keys I once got off of ebay. Not drawing any water as far as I can tell and all the basic functionality seems to be working fine so far. The bow thruster is also working fine. The battery sitting down at the bottom gives her good stability so far.
Using a bridge rectifier and a resistor I had laying around, I made the power supply for the steam generator. This way I can connect it up in parallel to the main motors and it will thus work no matter whether we go forward or backward.I was experimenting with adding some glycerine to the water and yes, it does significantly improve the visibility of the steam  :-))
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2023, 10:15:20 am »

After a year or so of hiatus (some other stuff and smaller projects gotten in the way) I'm happy to report that I'm now slowly getting back to the build. I'll have to recap what I have done so far to determine what the next steps are gonna be, though.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2024, 07:30:43 pm »

Picking up where I have left off... assembling a steam generator unit from 3D printed parts and some assorted electronics. I will elaborate on this unit once I get it to perform as intended and I will upload the files for printing for others to share.The deck planking I have coarsely cut from birch wood. The planking pattern was added with a laser engraver. This needs some sanding down after gluing to the deck.
Feels good to be back in business  :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.