Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Aziz static to rc  (Read 9750 times)

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Aziz static to rc
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2022, 10:48:12 am »

Hi Ronnie

Just ask if you need any area photo'd, I can drop down to my mates any time.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2022, 11:06:02 am »

you tube why can't it just show .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xde98CM_b6c

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2022, 11:15:11 am »

Down to the Clyde, rising tide and an onshore wind otherwise boat may end up at Gourock. Trying out my hack bilge pump, car washer pump. If the rear deck is not sealed lots of water in hull. The pump is not perfect might need a filter as its temperamental but it seems to work.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2022, 11:32:30 am »

Split the inner hull with a divider as most of the water comes in at the stern. cut the wiper washer down on the inlet side as they are not self priming.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2022, 06:02:10 pm »

Started the mast at the bow, made it in two parts. Will be easier to transport , now i need to wire it up . Used Freds mast detail to sort out the lamp positions etc. Top section , was going to use styrene but brass is less likely to break.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2022, 08:30:56 am »

Hi Ronnie
Thank you for the recognition,
I must say that you are doing a great job on the rebuild, I just hope that when I start mine it is some were as good as yours.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2022, 11:25:43 am »

Had a few issues sailing, almost lost the radio connection about 100m out. Just as well it was an onshore wind, then hit a snag and one rudder support twisted. Fixed the support and tried to sort out the leaking rudder tubes, longer brass rudder tube and a tube glued in for some sort of stuffing box filled with waterproof grease..Other side filled with grease and its well above the waterline.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2022, 11:36:22 am »

With any luck the drips from rudder tube will be gone.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2022, 10:54:16 pm »

Hi. Anyone using a 12v 7ah battery and MFA 919 geared motors"? Ran out of juice after an hour, out on the Clyde so some sailing against the tide, run time is rubbish . Should I use a board with a changeover function for 2 batteries. Almost  lost the boat, going to leave fishing gear in van as an insurance.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2022, 12:05:27 am »

Hi Ronnie sounds like an SLA (lead acid ) battery?  they are rated differebtly to the other batteries we use.  They are cheaper because you do not get so much for your money.

I would suggest a modern NiMh or Lipo battery pack 3S at 5000 mAhrs will give better run time but you may need to add extra ballast to compensate.  Same goes for Nimh 12 volts (10 cell pack) at 5000mAhrs.
regards
Roy

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2022, 11:52:37 am »

Rather than adding useless ballast add more batteries instead. LiPo batteries can be run in parallel to give a much longer running time. A gell cell weighs around 2 1/2 kg while the LiPo pack weighs around 400g on average so 3 of them in parallel will more than double the capacity while still weighing less.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2022, 05:20:27 pm »

Have a few big li-po batteries for my rc tanks but I run the boat in saltwater. The Aziz is a wet boat , need to use a pump quite often. Li-po may be iffy sloshing about in the hull. May try some li-fe or other safer battery type.  The ballast is the SLA battery and 3+ kilos of lead , that would be almost 6 kilos of batteries.Thanks all.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2022, 07:05:38 pm »

Hi again.  Do buy your batteries from a UK or reputable company.  Batteries from China are very frequently not what is printed on the cell.  Li-Fe batteries especially, Component Shop give good reliable data about their cells. 

Check the weight of the battery usually given in data sheets this is important as this is actually how much active 'battery' you are getting.  Also check that they can discharge the current you want.  There are some outlandish claims on ebay regarding discharge and capacity (Amp hours).
regards
Roy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2022, 10:49:48 am »

Given all the doom and gloom warnings re Lipo s JimG, how do we ensure equal discharge on paralised packs?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2022, 12:02:56 pm »

Hi again.  Do buy your batteries from a UK or reputable company.  Batteries from China are very frequently not what is printed on the cell.  Li-Fe batteries especially, Component Shop give good reliable data about their cells. 
Roy
You do of course need to appreciate that LiPo packs bought from a UK supplier are most likely using Chinese made cells, all they do is assemble the packs from individual cells.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2022, 12:13:40 pm »

Given all the doom and gloom warnings re Lipo s JimG, how do we ensure equal discharge on paralised packs?

Regards  Ian.
When the packs are in parallel they will always self level to stay at the same discharge state. The only stipulation is to make sure the packs are all of the same capacity and C rating and are fully charged before connecting together in parallel. They can then stay connected together and can be charged in parallel although they would need to be charged singly on the occasional balance charge.( If they are not at quite the same charge level when connected they will self level anyway, and there will not be a massive currrent passing on connection. I have tested the self levelling current when a fully charged 3S 8000mAh pack is paralleled to an identical discharged pack and it was a maximum of 5A, less than a 1C charge current for the pack. It took around 30 minutes for the packs to level out at the same capacity . Care does need to be taken with LiPo packs but they are not as dangerous as many make them out to be. The few with problems always put out warnings and decry them while the millions without problems never say a word, just use them.)
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2022, 12:23:32 pm »

You do of course need to appreciate that LiPo packs bought from a UK supplier are most likely using Chinese made cells, all they do is assemble the packs from individual cells.

True Jim, but UK suppliers like Component Shop do make a lot of effort to ensure that they only sell good quality items, including batteries. If they don't then the comeback is on them but if you buy direct from China then the after service, if needed, can be a bit problematical. Some of what you buy is very good, othe items less so and it can be hard to tell the difference.

Component Shop on their website do stress that they have stringent quality control and if something goes wrong they are just a phone call away. And at shows (remember them?) you can directly inspect the products before buying and ask questions. All worth paying a bit extra for in my view.

Colin

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2022, 11:05:53 pm »

Been looking for winches but no luck finding plastic ones, want to reduce the above waterline weight. Started to do the towing gear in styrene.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2022, 09:48:54 pm »

Made up one drum for the winch, 2nd one will be much easier now I know how to do it. The base supports next , need styrene strip the correct size. Have 2 chequered plates that I don’t know where they fit on the winch has anyone and pics to show position.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2022, 06:15:10 am »

Hi Ronnie
I have the build box that came with the Aziz, I will dig it out over the weekend and copy the drawing for the winches, if that is any help.

Fred

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2022, 11:49:09 am »

Found an Aziz build by Grzorz 75 ,copied the added detail. Can’t post pic on my iPad ,gave up after  3 goes?

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2022, 01:15:04 pm »

All styrene apart from the exhausts and large hand wheel, primer to show up faults. Going to try and replicate the anchor gear and the small winches. Not a fan of the white metal, not good for the stability if the water is rough.back to using Imgur for posting images. .

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2022, 09:06:56 pm »

One prop in Loch lomond https://imgur.com/a/JYAgxN1

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2022, 09:58:58 pm »

Wow! ronnie42.....that was a bit too close for comfort @ about 48 seconds near the rocks  <*< <*< <*< , but she handles the swell quite well

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2022, 10:37:14 am »

Reduced the weight of the winch by about a kilo using styrene and brass.Should reduce the pendulum effect when sailing in rough water. https://imgur.com/a/3GdIr1u
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.