The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Aerokits Sea Commander.

(1/23) > >>

zooma:
Anyone that has read the thread about our plans to build a couple of LesRo Stiletto models will no doubt have had a smile about the pair of Sea Commander cabin sides that we found in the "Stiletto parts".

As it happened, I bought a plan for the Sea Commander off of eBay when I first started back into model boat making just prior to lock-down, but forgot that kit plans do not give any drawings for the bulkheads - so I never did anything with them.

Now that we have a pair of cabin sides, it seems a shame to waste them, so I have dug the plans out and made templates for the keel, doublers and breasthook etc, but if anyone has access to the Sea Commander bulkhead shapes it would be very helpful if they could draw around them for us and it would save a lot of time.

Postage costs etc would be gladly refunded. :-))

zooma:
I cut a keel and the front three pairs of doublers from 4mm plywood today and I am just going back out to cut the rearmost pair of doublers from 1/2' x 1/2" hardwood, so I have made a start on the parts needed to support the pair of cabin sides that Will has given to me  O0 {-)

zooma:
The keel and doublers are now glued together and I am working out the bulkhead templates and only need the shapes for bulkheads B3 and B5 to be able to complete the hull stage of this project.

Rich griff:
I too would like outlines of bulkheads etc..

Hope someone can help...

zooma:

--- Quote from: Rich griff on February 08, 2022, 01:47:15 pm ---I too would like outlines of bulkheads etc..

Hope someone can help...

--- End quote ---

Hopefully I wont need any templates as I think my "trail and error" bodging technique (and a bit of luck) may have solved the problem for me.

I had the remans of bulkheads B2 and B4, so I superimposed them on top of each other, worked out a centre line and then drew around them both on the back of a cereal packet.

Then I worked out the mid-points between the two and made this a possible outline for B3 after making a few small mods and measuring the cabin width at this point. Then I cut this out from 4mm ply to make a mock-up bulkhead.

To my surprise when I plugged this onto the keel and the cabin sides it looked OK,  the deck-line flowed OK  and the stringers look like they will align too.

I also had an old delaminated Sea Commander transom shape, so I tried the same technique to produce bulkhead B5 between B4 and the transom (B6) and it sort of worked - but needs some adjustment.  I think the curved sides of the transom threw my measurements out a bit but the deck line still looked OK, so I modified the template using masking tape to hold the extra slice of cereal packet on, and just widened the top edge of the template at the deck edge out by 2mm each side.

Hopefully this will work, but without cutting the mock-ups out from plywood I cannot check this as the cabin sides are under some tension to form the shape and it is not possible to check the fit without inter-locking all of the bulkheads into place on the keel and the cabin sides - so the cereal packet templates need to be exchanged for wood at this stage!

I have some poor quality scrap ply from an old box, and this is plenty good enough for use at this stage, but when I think I have got everything looking OK, I will cut the new B3 and B5 bulkheads and replace the damaged and fuel soaked B2, B4 and the delaminated transom at the same time.

I could not do any of the above without first having the keel assembled as I needed it to plug the bulkhead shapes onto and then to check the interlink and width fit with the cabin sides.

Fortunately, the keel, cabin sides and breasthook information can be taken directly from the kit plans - and no doubt the bulkhead shapes could also be worked-out from the plan too with measurements and a bit of patience.......and they would no doubt be technically superior to my bodging! :embarrassed:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version