Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits Sea Commander.  (Read 11986 times)

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
Re: Aerokits Sea Commander.
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2022, 10:28:01 pm »

No problem Bob, it's another option for you.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2022, 01:59:32 pm »

More places for Bob to put glue ;)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2022, 02:11:20 pm »

I am pleased with the way the modified breast hook has worked.

It made fitting the gunwale stringers a very simple job by removing the area that needed the most bending.

I am fitting the chine stringers next to the two sub-breasthooks that I have added as I think that will be just as easy and they will stronger than joining the two chine stringers together in an unsupported joint either side of the keel at the bows as shown on the plan drawings.

Both breasthooks should give plenty of bonding areas to glue the skins onto, but I will check this at the time and add doublers if I think they would be any advantage.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2022, 10:56:07 am »

The storm yesterday made it necessary to stand in my small shed (workshop) to add some extra weight to help prevent it being blown away! %)

Whilst stood there preventing the shed disappearing in the wind, I just happened to fit the two laminates of chine stringers, but I had to wait for the first row to dry before fitting the second layer, so I knocked-up another "orange box" stand ready to hold the Sea Comm ready for when the bottom skins are fitted and I am able to turn the boat over to fit the power train etc.

The two additional small "sub-breasthooks" worked very well and they have made a much stronger joint than the method shown on the plan of simply joining the chine stringers in a point directly onto the side of the fore-keel.  I am pleased with them and the way they have worked so it is a method that I would like to use in any future "new builds" to simplify the construction and to strengthen the bows.

I should be able to remove the clamps from the chine stingers later today and start checking everything over and preparing the hull to accept the bottom skins.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2022, 04:07:03 pm »

As described.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2022, 07:36:46 pm »

Tony now calls me Jed Clampit - possibly due to the number of clamps I have used on each side (32) to hold the two laminates of the chine stringers together until they dry :embarrassed: ......or maybe for some other reason associated with the Beverly Hillbillies?

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2022, 09:37:13 pm »

Looks really good Bob and unmistakeably a Sea Commander.
I spy some supposed Stiletto cabin sides.
I really don't know how I didn't recognise them as being Sea Commander cabin sides when I looked at them in the box. I certainly can't not see Sea Commander when I look at the parts pictures that I sent you previously.

Keep up the good work Bob

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2022, 12:07:26 pm »

Looks really good Bob and unmistakeably a Sea Commander.
I spy some supposed Stiletto cabin sides.
I really don't know how I didn't recognise them as being Sea Commander cabin sides when I looked at them in the box. I certainly can't not see Sea Commander when I look at the parts pictures that I sent you previously.

Keep up the good work Bob

Will

I think it was just a trick just to get me back out into my shed and ready to cut some Stiletto parts for you! O0

It was a good one though as I have never owned a Sea Commander, and probably never would have done without you sending me these "Stiletto" parts to reclaim.....and your kind offer to let me keep them  :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2022, 11:14:20 am »

Templates for the bottom skins were made from some old cereal box's, and masking tape was used to stick the pieces together as they were not long enough to make the template in one piece.

After checking the fit (and allowing a little extra for the thickness of the 1.5mm ply that I would be using for the skins) I drew around the template directly onto the wood and used a Tamiya razor saw to cut them out.

I am always surprised at just how much the Tamiya razor saw blade can flex to the curvature of the cut that allows the blade to remain firmly embedded in the wood to complete the cut.  Very impressive flexible Japanese steel blades.

Both skins have now been fitted to the hull and when the glue has fully dried I will be able to trim them back to their final shape and then align the motor/coupling/propshaft assembly before fitting the side skins.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2022, 03:19:30 pm »

Before covering the lower hull with the bottom skins I did fill the lower section of the bows with some scrap balsa wood and then sanded it to shape to give a stronger lower bow and an increased bonding area for the adhesive to secure the lower skins to. 

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2022, 04:58:27 pm »

More power to Bob's Commander!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2022, 05:53:49 pm »

Sometime last year Bangood had a good offer on the Surpass motor prices, and following a recommendation about them from Harry,  I bought one to try as an alternative to my usual out-runners.

I also bought a non water-cooled 120A ESC to try as an alternative to my usual water-cooled ESC as well as a water-cooled sleeve to fit the motor (also on offer at the time!).

This particular motor is the 3674-1580KV and the "O" rings at each end of the water cooling sleeve were lightly wiped with silicone grease before being slid into place around the motor.

This assembly was then fitted onto an inexpensive alloy water cooled mount so I can use it to cool the front motor bearings if they should run hot.  This mount also makes it easy to change motors in the future, so if this in-runner does not perform as well as it should, I can quickly replace it with an out-runner within a few minutes.

A plywood motor platform was made to support the motor at the right height and angle while being held rigidly in place by a home made solid coupling that is the same length as the 5mm x 5mm PowerFlex coupling that will eventually replace it.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2022, 09:02:47 pm »

That motor looks right at home sat in there Bob. A tidy instal, as always.

Looking forward to seeing how well that motor makes the SC perform.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2022, 09:38:13 pm »

Thanks Will,

The hull was turned upside-down again tonight and I cut away the upper support for the prop shaft. {:-{

The modern prop shafts have a slimmer outer tube than some of the older 2BA type shafts that would have been common when these plans were drawn up, and so I had a slight gap along one edge of the tube.

P38 filler would have made light work of this small gap, but I used the razor saw to chop it out and change it for a tight fitting replacement and took the opportunity to slightly flare the blend back into the keel again to make a more pleasing look (to me at least).

When the masking tape (that is holding it for the 24hr Araldite set) is removed, I will take another look at it.  I have plenty of sandpaper if it doesn't  look 'right".

A couple of off-cut strakes were laid long the bottom - just to see what it could look like - but I am not sure that the Sea Commander hull really needs to have any strakes fitted.........but they could look good................. %)

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2022, 09:47:03 pm »

Well done Bob. I have all of these things to experience and overcome yet.

Maybe looking at some Sea Commander videos will give you an idea if in your opinion it needs strakes or not by how well other peoples perform and climb up onto the plane.

Alternatively, maybe two each side would suit it  :}

Keep up the good work.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2022, 12:00:59 am »

My Sea Commander went through numerous alterations and I.C. motors but did not need strakes to get on plane although perhaps not as smooth spray as might have been.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2022, 04:18:07 am »

Hi All

A new SLEC Sea Commander without spray rails by one of our club members C3542-1250kv brushless.

Harry

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2022, 11:45:25 am »

Thanks for the pictures of the Sea Commander at speed.

Very inspiring  - I may not be adding strakes to this hull after all.

I had heard that the Sea Commander could produce a sprightly performance, and your pictures tend to confirm this.

Mine has a little way to go just yet............................ :embarrassed:

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2022, 09:02:44 am »

Last night I fitted the rudder and water scoop and then took a look inside to see where I should put the ESC and LiPo packs etc.

The ESC is not very heavy so I have made a small platform in the front cabin for it to sit on, but I am not sure yet where to put the LiPo cells as they are comparatively heavy and will affect the balance of the boat.

My first thought was to put then under the floor in the open cockpit area, but when I laid them in there and picked the part-built hull up the balance was towards the rear of the boat.

When I placed one LiPo pack on each side of the motor the balance was quite neutral so I am guessing that would be a better location for them?

I would like to see where others have positioned the batteries in their Sea Commanders - especially the two fast ones that have been pictured on here, or any others that perform well as I have no centre of gravity reference shown on the plans.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2022, 09:53:55 am »

Hi Zooma

I had my 3700mah 3S Lipo in front of the 35mm 1100kv motor.

At slow speed it had the bow down, but this pickup with a bit of power.

Sat on the water at speed very well.

From what I was told on Saturday, it's in a bit of a state with the now owner !!!

May see what I can trade to get it back ??

Like I require another project, like a hole in the head !!!!

Harry

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2022, 12:25:52 pm »

I think I may try mounting a pair of 3 cell LiPos (on their sides)  - one on either side of the motor  :-))

I will probably only run one at a time, but always carry them in pairs to give equal weight distribution from left right, but I could join them with a Y lead to double the duration if required.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2022, 11:49:42 am »

looking good Bob! motor looks mighty!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2022, 01:18:29 pm »

Thanks Stuw,

Deciding where to put the LiPo cells, make suitable provision to hold them securely, checking the location and best position for the ESC and making or adapting all the necessary plugs and leads to fit and finding the best place to put the receiver etc always seems to take longer than it should - but it is helpful to get all this done before the side skins are fitted.

Making holes in bulkheads as required for the water cooling tube and any wires that need to pass through from one compartment to another is always easier at this stage and makes a nice change from finding the least awkward way to do it when the hull is finished.

Most of the above has been done, so now I need to find and fit a suitable steering servo and make a mount to fit it, make a linkage and order a suitable extension lead to connect it to the receiver.

When all that has been completed - I can cut a pair of side skins and get them fitted next.  :-))

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2022, 06:51:36 pm »

Steering etc. from Bob

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2022, 05:30:05 am »

what a genius idea of magnetizing the necessary allen keys in place- I'll have to copy that!
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.