Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits Sea Commander.  (Read 11686 times)

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Aerokits Sea Commander.
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2022, 08:26:30 am »

Hi All
I would suggest on the rudder linkage, turn the linkage at the rudder end up the other way.

The collar with grub screw will end up facing into the middle of the boat.

A lot easier to get the allen key onto !!!

Canabus

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2022, 10:20:27 am »

what a genius idea of magnetizing the necessary allen keys in place- I'll have to copy that!

I first used this idea on my Rapier  (https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64555.0.htmland) and it has been very helpful over the last couple of years as it has allowed me to change the motor for a different type when away from home at the water side, and it makes any adjustments to the rudder linkage etc without having to take any tools with me.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2022, 10:52:44 am »

Hi All
I would suggest on the rudder linkage, turn the linkage at the rudder end up the other way.
The collar with grub screw will end up facing into the middle of the boat.
A lot easier to get the allen key onto !!!
Canabus

I have been playing with r/c since the galloping ghost days and have seen many linkages drop (not on my own models fortunately) when the collet had been fitted to the top side - leaving the linkage to drop out if the collar should come loose or become dislodged for any reason......(this was also quite important on control line elevator linkages too!).

Fitting the linkage this way up gives some additional security in the (unlikely) event of a collet working loose when the model is out on the water, as the long end stands a fair chance of staying engaged with the tiller arm until the boat returns to shore.

Everything pictured is "loose fit" and only positioned to check the fit and function, but when the servo and rudder etc is returned to the hull to be permanently fixed I will turn the collet grub screw position to give the easiest access possible for the Allen key as the space available in this area when the side skins and decks are fitted will make this an awkward space to access.

I also considered fitting the tiller arm at 90 degrees to give a side to side servo operation, and if I have any problems in the future I may reposition the steering servo mounts to allow this alternative option. :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2022, 12:53:52 pm »

Could have saved the collet with a tried and trusted 'Z' bend (underhung) at the rudder arm end?
 Reverting to the necessity or not of strakes for the Commander or Queen, seem to remember on a whiskered episode of Termmorrers World the reasoning of them on the deep V racing hulls (Full size). Chine rails fine, but to generate lift under a flattie type hull? Which Kite flys easier? a flat one or a 'Deep V'?

Regards  Ian.

Mod. Seems to be a plethora on the hulls in Martin's  old mag posting.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2022, 09:01:22 pm »

Could have saved the collet with a tried and trusted 'Z' bend (underhung) at the rudder arm end?
 Reverting to the necessity or not of strakes for the Commander or Queen, seem to remember on a whiskered episode of Termmorrers World the reasoning of them on the deep V racing hulls (Full size). Chine rails fine, but to generate lift under a flattie type hull? Which Kite flys easier? a flat one or a 'Deep V'?
Regards  Ian.

Yup - I remember spending many hours of my childhood trying to make a "Z" bend in a lengths of seemingly very hard piano wire (using a pair of my dad's oversized pliers) for use as a control rod (usually for a control line trainer or 1/2 A Team racer), and they always worked well enough.

Back then, I often thought that I would save-up enough pocket money to buy a pair of those special "Z" bending tools, but something more important always cropped up to relieve of my meagre funds, so I never did buy one. {:-{

......and now I don't have too because the weight of a brass collet is insignificant in my model boats and is far easier to fit and remove and I think it looks better than a "Z" bend and can never "jump" the plastic tiller - even on a fast boat with powerful steering servos.

Regarding the use of strakes on this Sea Commander hull- from what I have seen the Sea Commander seems to perform well enough when fitted with chine rails, so adding strakes may only be cosmetic, but they do look pretty and I doubt they would cause any harm - but I am not sure if I will fit them or not.

Unlike chine rails that I consider to be essential, and I will fit a pair of 1/8" x 1/4" obechie strips for this task and a similar pair of strips for the gunwale rails to help keep the deck dryer.

In everyday use, both of these rails also provide a degree of protection from accidental collision and can be easily replaced if they should become damaged.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2022, 10:52:17 am »

but they do look pretty

Bet the water under the hull thinks so.  {-)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2022, 11:47:25 am »

but they do look pretty

Bet the water under the hull thinks so.  {-)

Regards  Ian.

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately most model boats spend far more time OUT of the water than they do displaying their "under-water finery" to the water that they are passing over when they do go "out to play".

If during any of their rare excursions the strakes and chine rails help the model to perform better than it would without them, then it is worth the effort to make them and fit them.

Meanwhile, when the boat is out of the water (probably in excess of 99% of its life) if the addition of strakes gives a more pleasing appearance to its owner and anyone else that views it then some may consider it worth having them fitted rather than not having them fitted.

Whilst I don't either exhibit my boats or store them inverted!, I do like to see strakes on deep vee hulls as I think they improve the appearance considerably and help with the performance of the model too.

I am not so sure about the merits of fitting strakes to my Sea Commander, but I have plenty of workshop time with this hull to go yet, and I am sure that I will look at the option of fitting them if think they could look good or aid the performance in any way.......so there is a possibility that I will fit strakes (or part length strakes) - but I am not as committed to them  as I was with my Rapier, Swordsman, or Javelin hulls.

Stay safe,

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2022, 08:25:10 pm »

what a genius idea of magnetizing the necessary allen keys in place- I'll have to copy that!

Thanks NickeklBelter,
I have used this idea for several years now on lots of different models and it works well enough to have never displaced an Allen key ......yet.
Carrying these keys onboard allows me to loosen the coupling and try different brushless motors without having to carry a toolbox to the lake as these are the only tools needed to remove and replace the motors.
This has been very handy on Rapier1 as I have used the boat as a testbed to try different motors in since it first took to the water.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2022, 10:30:14 am »

I have revisited this thread and the most recent photos and must agree it’s a very tidy installation.  :-))
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2023, 05:35:00 pm »

I have revisited this thread and the most recent photos and must agree it’s a very tidy installation.  :-))

Thanks Stuw,

I have had a long break from my workshop (shed) but hope to find the way in again shortly and get this hull finished and in the water later this year.

The bottom skins were fitted months ago and I remember making a template for the side skins from some trusty cerial packets so I need to get enthused - and cut some wood!

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2023, 10:14:10 am »

We are ready to see the fruits of your labour! Get cutting soon  :-))
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2023, 11:55:25 am »

Hi LadsMy Sea Commander(Sparky) has returned, but, not in the best of health !!!The motor, rudder, servo with linkages and drive line all in good working order.The boat requires a full restoration .Started with removing all paint and repairing around the prop tube.The chine rails did not go right to the bow which I have address.The cabin has had the windows removed and repairs mainly to the forward area of the cabin.Canabus

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2023, 08:52:31 pm »

Brilliant for taking on a basket case as we say I(well they do say  in the uk....French now you know) keep up the good work  :-))
Steamed up all the time

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2023, 09:21:31 am »

Hi PhilThis is what the boat look like when I traded it for A Hellen Fishing Boat in 2018.Canabus

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2023, 03:56:03 pm »

Blimey, it did have a hard few years Harry! Will be better than ever once you've finished with it.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2023, 03:23:02 pm »

I might use some of the flour and water mix that I was going to use on my new Club 500 kit to hold the side skins onto my Sea Commander rebuild once I get around to cutting them  {-)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2023, 03:24:31 pm »

Hi PhilThis is what the boat look like when I traded it for A Hellen Fishing Boat in 2018.Canabus

Did you make the front cabin roof removable Harry?

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2023, 01:22:12 pm »

Due to the wet weather we have returned home for a couple of days and I have been able to get out into the workshop (shed) to cut and fix some more parts onto the Sea Commander.

The twin flatscreen type windscreens and its hard wood mounting brace have been fitted along with the interlinking thick central former for the fixed forward cabin.  The central former for the front cabin was another used Sea Queen part that Will sent to me, so in the spirit of using any original parts (like Trigger's "original brush in Fools and Horses) this was fitted rather than cutting a new part!

I checked my cereal packet side skin template by fitting it with masking tape onto the hull, and then reversing it and checking the fit on the other side of the hull.

Happy that the fit would be OK and that the hull is still symmetrical, I cut a pair of side skins and fitted them both.

When the glue has dried I hope to be able to get these skins trimmed before we go back to enjoy the next wave of good weather and leave the Sea Commander to "rest" for a while longer until we come home again!  :-))

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2023, 04:32:45 am »

HI AllSparkie back and in the best of hHI AllSparkie back and in the best of health!!!Still got a good turn of speed.Harryealth!!!Still got a good turn of speed.Harry

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2023, 08:55:48 am »

Looking good Harry - nice restoration!

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2023, 12:57:25 pm »

Quite a transformation Harry, well done  :-))
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2023, 11:30:46 am »

During a brief home visit I managed to add a couple more pieces of wood to Will's donated Sea Commander cabin sides  ;)

The bottom and side skins are now fitted and trimmed and I need to get the stand painted so I can secure the padding permanently to it as it will be helpful when working on the boat in the near future - especially when considering fitting some strakes .................. %)

I think this Sea Commander is getting even more than a bit like "Triggers Original Brush" (Fools and Horses) - still the original cabin sides - but almost everything else is new ..........but it is still an original Sea Commander............. ;D

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2023, 02:34:29 pm »

My standard (lack of imagination - but highly practical) simple "orange  box" stand has now been painted and given a set of 4 rubber feet and had some padding glued on (cut pipe insulation) to stand the Sea Commander on.

Once I had inverted the hull (on its new cushioned bed) and fitted the lower spray rails I found myself sifting through some "spare" lengths of wood that I had previously cut into triangular sections for use as "strakes" on some of my other restoration and build projects and before I knew it - I had glued some onto  this Sea Commander hull! :o

I am not sure if I like them that much now that they are fitted and I have never seen a Sea Commander fitted with strakes before, but it would take a lot of time to remove them again, so they have been given a coat of pink undercoat to highlight any small defects that may need "final sanding and prep" before applying a red gloss oil based top coat.

Once the gloss paint coat has been applied and dried I can turn the boat the right way up again on its stand knowing that the underside will be more of less finished so I won't need to spend too much time inverting the finished boat to paint the underside - other than to apply maybe one final gloss coat of paint when the rest of the final finishing is being completed.

Painting is not my strongest point (and I don't have any really strong points in any case  :embarrassed: ) so I think it will take me a few days to get this next stage completed as I really don't like the new types of "quick dry" and "easy clean-up" paints as they just arn't good enough for use in water and I do like to build and restore my classic model boats with brush applied paint in the traditional way - and not just hit the rattle can........although I have to admit that would be MUCH faster and probably give a better result too  <:(

Whilst I am trudging through this next stage, I can look forward to getting the inside of the hull armoured-up and painted before fitting the decks and moving-on with the construction  :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2023, 07:17:40 pm »

Did you make the front cabin roof removable Harry?

It looks like you have made the whole superstructure lift off in one piece ? 

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2023, 04:05:47 pm »

The pink undercoat dried OK and a first coat of red gloss paint has now been applied to the underside of the hull and this does show the strakes off quite well.

I managed to get two complete "bow to stern" strakes on each side and an additional part length 3rd strake (from the bow to about 3/4 the length of the hull) to end where the hull width narrows.

Now I can flip the hull over and start working some glass fibre matting into the inside of the hull - especially around the engine mounting platform to reinforce it.

Once this is completed I can make some templates for the decking parts and get them (and the deck spray rails) fitted.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.