Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glueing wood to plastic  (Read 2485 times)

AHammond0

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Glueing wood to plastic
« on: February 08, 2022, 09:31:05 am »

I want to glue planking to the inside of the plastic hull and onto the stern of a Krick Alexander. Any recommendations as to a suitable adhesive for the job? I am not keen on cyano due to the amount that I would need. Similarly epoxy resin. Contact adhesive is a possibility if I can find something suitable that allows a second or two to jiggle the planks into place. Any help welcome.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Glueing wood to plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 11:56:06 am »

Stabilit express has often been mentioned as being suitable for this application, nemesis

AHammond0

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 12:57:17 pm »

Tanks for the reply. I have used Stablit in the past and I still have some knocking about somewhere. I was not over impressed with it tough least of all the price!. I found that a standard hobby grade epoxy resin did the job just as well for half the price or less and was easier to mix. My trouble is that I have two curved sides about 30cm x 10 cm to cover with 5mm x 1mm planking. So I need something with a fairly fast grip but that I can mix in largish quantity.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 01:08:02 pm »

Contact adhesive can be risky as the solvent can dissolve the plastic.

Stabilit and Deluxe Fusion are suitable but expensive.

Probably 15 minute Z-poxy at just over half the price would be your best bet if you roughen the surface of the inside of the hull first.

https://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?sort=1a&cPath=136_142_392&products_id=14335

If you want a fast grab then you can't mix up a lot of 5 minute epoxy as it will cure too quckly as you say. Longer curing and you have to be able to hold the curve until it dries maybe by tape or wedging.

A viable alternative would be to use industrial grade double sided tape. There are lots available such as these:

https://www.technibond.co.uk/products/double-sided-thin-tapes/

There are water resistant varieties which is probably all you need as you will be varishing over the internal planking which will seal it. Using tape is pretty quick as well.

Colin

AHammond0

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 02:07:35 pm »

Thanks for that. I use Z Poxy quite a lot both 15 and 30 minute versions. I tend to think that that is the way I will have to go. I am thinking of trying to tack the planks to the hull with cyano to hold them in place while the epoxy has time to set a bit. Like most things with this kit it is going to be a case of trial and more trial until it fits or works.

David Shaw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 02:25:44 pm »

I have stuck some applications in using silicone sealant. Example battery tray which holds 5s 6.250 amp battery packs in my fast electric boat. 1 goes at 55MPH and another goes at 80MPH. The boats take a lot of bashing about but the battery packs stay in place
No problem holding the packs in.
Use a good quality silicone sealant, get the ones used to stick aquarium glass together.

David
David Shaw

AHammond0

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 02:54:41 pm »

Thanks for that. From what I recall from the days when I kept tropical fish aquarium sealant would work out quite expensive. It did however remind me that I have some plastic pipe weld left over that I used in aquarium plumbing. I will give that a try on some scrap plastic and wood and see what the result is. I get a feeling that it might melt the plastic a bit too much. But on a piece of scrap it will be worth a try.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 02:56:26 pm »

Much depends on the thickness of the plastic if using contact adhesive. If thick it will work and be fine but as I found out if thin in the sun the vapors can reactivate and cause distortion of the plastic which not good.

If the plastic is thin I now use superglue gel which works well.

Be aware though of the different expansion and contraction characteristics of the two materials as this can cause delamination after a few years. I can't comment on the superglue solution as its not been a few years yet!!

Good fortune

Geoff

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 03:40:56 pm »

Hi,
I didn't fully understand 'planking on the inside of the hull' but probably it ment above the deck, don't know the hull, even though I have seen the ship just a few years ago.
Anyways, as sealing stuff has been mentioned, I would like to draw your attention to sikaflex products:
https://www.uksealants.co.uk/silicones-sealants/sika-sealants-adhesives.html

Which of them would be the best you may have to find out yourself, but they have silicon-less and paintable sealants. They are glueing strong but stay a bit flexible.
I think some of them can be used to glue in car windows.

Best,JoergP.S.: I hav no relation to Sikaflex, I just know that stuff from my 1:1 boating time.

Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 04:51:41 pm »

The Alexandra is a semi open steam launch. Many people who build the kit like to plank and varnish the exposed interior sections of the hull. There is a build thread here:

https://www.argobuilder.com/krick-alexandra-steam-launch.html

Colin

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 05:27:52 pm »

Hi,steam and Alexandra I always think of this one: https://www.dampfer-alexandra.de/
Nevertheless, I have a colleague who has built something similar:

https://ralfs-modellwerft.de.tl/Dampfpinasse-Neebel.htm
it's in german but you can easily use the contact form.  Or in this forum it should be Ralf

Best,Joerg
Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 06:19:34 pm »

I have been using this building adhesive now for many years Everbuild Stixal I have enclosed a link to the spec sheet. Stabalit  Express is vey good glue but none in the u k at the moment and very expensive.  I have sent you a pm should you need more info.

Stan.

https://irl.sika.com/content/dam/dms/ie01/j/everbuild_stixall.pdf   I know many builders who are now using this product without any problems but once again the choice is yours

AHammond0

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 08:30:04 am »

Thanks for the replys. It has definitely given me some food for thought before I tackle the inner hull planking.

AHammond0

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 08:43:55 am »

I have just checked out Stixal. I admit I have never heard of it before. But it looks to be just the stuff I need and also looks to be useful for other jobs. So I have ordered a couple of tubes off the bay. Thanks for the tip. 

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 09:16:50 am »

No problem glad to be of assistance. For certain gluing jobs I personally have stopped using many of the old glues used over the years.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.