Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cousteau's Calypso (Build Log)  (Read 10778 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Cousteau's Calypso (Build Log)
« on: February 17, 2022, 01:33:04 pm »

Well hello fellow shipmates, long time no see  :-)
You may remember me from the Imara Build Log from a couple of years ago.
Well, it has been some time and unfortunately I haven't sailed her for quite some time. A lot of other things happening all of the time. But I intend to come this spring and summer  :-))

Anyway, I was finishing a photo book of the build log the other day (had two copies made: one for me and one to take to the pond for interested spectators to skim) and this got the old builder's flame burning again. Time to build another vessel. It took me some time to evaluate all of the options and availabilities. Since scratch building is out of my scope, it is going to be another kit.

I made myself the following scope statement:

- Smaller (and lighter) than Imara (space is limited and my back doesn't get any younger, either  ok2  )
- A vessel with lots of details, odds and sods - but not another tug
- Not another CalderCraft kit (nothing wrong with them, but I want some variety)
- No white metal fittings, if possible
- Electric propulsion
- A bow thruster would be nice

After a lot of thinking, considering, comparing and mulling over different options, I finally decided on the Billing Boats Calypso. After doing some research, I fell in love with this interesting and famous vessel.
The only problem was that it seems to be out of production. And out of stock everywhere I checked. Out of production, out of stock, out of luck.
But.... after doing some hefty online time I managed to locate one last kit at Harbor Models, Inc. in California, which is, I'm happy to report, now on its journey to Switzerland  %%

I also managed to ebay a copy of the famous (and long out of print) Calypso book, which should be an effervescent source of information and pictures.
The Billing Boats kit is somewhat plain, which leaves a lot of room for improvement and amendments. I learned a lot from building the Imara and I feel I'm up for the challenge.

Now I can't wait for the package to arrive at my doorstep.
Looking forward to another interesting build and I hope you'll join me along for the ride.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Cousteau's Calypso (Build Log)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 02:18:11 pm »

I look forward to your build . Good luck. :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 03:00:27 pm »

Good to see you back Tafelspitz.

Calypso is a very interesting subject with lots of unusual detail. I remember seeing her in Concarneau in a very bad state.

However there is one thing you should be aware of. The model is very top heavy! I believe the kit was originally designed as a static exhibition model so it needs to be very carefully ballasted and batteries and motors kept low in the hull.

There are build logs on the Model Boats Forum which describe these issues.

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=104760&p=1

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103338

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 03:00:57 pm »

I would say from the start,
keep the topweight to a minimum.
It can be a beautiful model, but
I have seen two well made versions
capsize in not much more than a breeze.
Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 08:46:27 pm »

Thank you guys, also for the heads-up regarding her being top heavy. I already stumbled upon this fact while reading a couple of build logs over in another forum.Something to be aware of to be sure. One recommendation I'll be sure to follow is putting the batteries all the way down to the keel.
Also, there appears to be the odd quirky error in the instructions. Something I'm already used to from the Imara build  ok2

Fingers crossed the kit arrives in one piece, especially the hull.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 06:59:41 am »

Question regarding propulsion. I'm considering 2 x 400 Max Speed motors, but nowadays we have also the option of brushless motors.
Would brushless be a viable option for my Calypso? Or is this only a thing for speed boats and I shouldn't bother?

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 09:02:46 am »

Hi Tafelspitz

The Speed 400s have a rpm of about 17000 to 18000 with an efficiency of 70%.
So divide the rpm into the voltage to get the brushless motor kv.
E.G. 14.8 volts(4S Lipo battery) on a 1200kv motor is unloaded 17,760 rpm.

But the efficiency of a brushless is about 90% and the power can be about four times the brush motor.

Brushless motors require a ESC(speed control) for each motor.
Also the motor shaft is generally 4mm.

If you get the motors and ESCs to handle the 4S Lipo you can drop down to 3S Lipo batteries.

The Lipo batteries can be laid on they side (only about 19/25mm width) to keep the weight down below the water line.

Canabus

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 10:11:55 am »

Brushless and LiPos would seem massive overkill for a small low displacement boat like Calypso. The original ship could only manage 10 knots! Apart from the expense the LiPo batteries are too light to add the ballast where you need it.

If you read through the two links I posted above then 385 motors and a 7.2 NiMh pack will be quite adequate and the NiMH cells will keep the weight where it's wanted. The 385s are low drain motors and will be ideal for Calypso. I've used them on heavier models with no problems. The Speed 400 motors are faster than the 385s and draw a lot more current. You don't need this in Calypso.

The links above also discuss stability and the placing of ballast in detail. Sheet lead in the bottom of the hull is recommended together with weight reduction in the upperworks including replacing heavy fittings like the fuel drums mentioned if they are still included in the kit.

I'd forget fitting a bow thruster. The original vessel didn't have one and again it is just unwanted weight in the wrong place. Twin screws and rudders will give you all the control you need.

Almost everyone who has built this model has mentioned stability issues, I think it can be made into a workable r/c boat but the ballasting and weight reduction is critical. One thing it is difficult to do much about is that the upperworks generate a lot of wind resistance so a breeze can tend to push the model over.

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 02:11:55 pm »

The Speed 400s have a rpm of about 17000 to 18000 with an efficiency of 70%.
So divide the rpm into the voltage to get the brushless motor kv.
E.G. 14.8 volts(4S Lipo battery) on a 1200kv motor is unloaded 17,760 rpm

Thank you, canabus, for this detailed explanation!  :-))

Brushless and LiPos would seem massive overkill for a small low displacement boat like Calypso.

If you read through the two links I posted above then 385 motors and a 7.2 NiMh pack will be quite adequate and the NiMH cells will keep the weight where it's wanted. The 385s are low drain motors and will be ideal for Calypso. I've used them on heavier models with no problems. The Speed 400 motors are faster than the 385s and draw a lot more current. You don't need this in Calypso.

Thank you Colin, that is sound advise.
I guess I'll go down the brushed route after all. I'll have to see if I can get a pair of 385s, seems to be a bit exotic here in my neck of the woods.

I'd forget fitting a bow thruster. The original vessel didn't have one and again it is just unwanted weight in the wrong place. Twin screws and rudders will give you all the control you need.

I respectfully disagree: the original seems to have had a tiny bow thruster down in the observation bulb (see picture).
But you're absolutely right that keeping the weight down and low is paramount.

Any ideas what these strange small, oblong things are that we can see on her bow, BTW?

Dom

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 02:30:02 pm »

Those are sacrificial Anodes. They protect the plating by eroding.
They are a zinc alloy and are replaced at regular intervals.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 04:58:28 pm »

I respectfully disagree: the original seems to have had a tiny bow thruster down in the observation bulb (see picture).

My apologies, you are quite right! It is tiny isn't it? Hard to believe it would have been much practical use except in a dead calm.

I think the smallest commercial model unit is this one:

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=thruster&PN=Raboesch%2DMini%2DBow%2DThruster%2D10%2D12mm%2Dx92mm%2DRAB108_20%2Ehtml#SID=120

I have one fitted in my Revell Queen Mary 2 liner kit whch is a bit smaller and lighter than Calypso. It does work, but only when the ship is pretty much stationary and is not very effective. Not cheap either!

You can get the 385 motors at a very reasonable cost from Component Shop who say thay are happy to ship anywhere in the world and they only charge what they need to. I use them all the time as do many on here.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/385-dc-motor.html.html

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 12:54:20 pm »

Those are sacrificial Anodes.
Ah, that does make sense. Thank you!

I think the smallest commercial model unit is this one:

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=thruster&PN=Raboesch%2DMini%2DBow%2DThruster%2D10%2D12mm%2Dx92mm%2DRAB108_20%2Ehtml#SID=120

I have one fitted in my Revell Queen Mary 2 liner kit whch is a bit smaller and lighter than Calypso. It does work, but only when the ship is pretty much stationary and is not very effective. Not cheap either!

You can get the 385 motors at a very reasonable cost from Component Shop
Thank you, Colin, much obliged! I just placed an order for two 385 motors and they are rather inexpensive indeed.The mini thruster I was able to locate at my local store. I'll look into that once I got the kit on the bench. Maybe I can even step it up one size (functionality beats accuracy) but we'll see.
Speaking of getting the kit on my workbench: according to the FedEx tracking service it is now in Memphis as I type this  :-) Listening to Jean Michel Jarre's "Waiting for Cousteau" until she gets here  ok2

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 01:27:55 pm »

There seems to be some scope for moving the waterline up into the black band zone to improve stability.

The other important thing is to ensure that the inevitable water that does get onto the lower part of the deck cannot get into the hull and can drain overboard easily.

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 01:44:10 pm »

I just got a heap of building plans from a German publishing company. They're actually for scratch building and in a slightly wrong scale (1:50 vs. 1:45) but I figured they may come in handy. You can see right here and there that there is indeed not a lot of boat below the waterline. Raising the waterline a notch may indeed be something to consider.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 04:58:58 pm »

Following here too! :-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 08:45:54 am »

Welcome there, Potassium nitrate. Come on in and have a seat. Can I get you something to drink? :-)

My Calypso kit has made it across the big pond and is now at Charles De Gaule FedEx hub in Paris. Nice touch that it gets to visit its "home country" before eventually getting here.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 11:42:22 am »

I have to agree with Colin 385 motors would be the ideal choice for this model.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 04:44:24 pm »

Just to add to the comments about stability, this work in progress is the original type of American PCS where Calypso was born. This is at 1:48 and displacement is 2 lbs less than yours...about 7lbs but a lot less up-top....fortunately. Even then, I've hollowed out a lot of the resin fittings and remade some using balsa and 0.5mm plastic. The aft deck is clad with cardboard. 2x385's and an 8.4 volt NiMh snake along the keel.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 06:46:14 pm »

I have to agree with Colin 385 motors would be the ideal choice for this model.
Thank you, Stan! Nifty, handy chart you got me there. Two 385 motors are already on their way  :-))

This is at 1:48 and displacement is 2 lbs less than yours...about 7lbs but a lot less up-top....fortunately. Even then, I've hollowed out a lot of the resin fittings and remade some using balsa and 0.5mm plastic. The aft deck is clad with cardboard. 2x385's and an 8.4 volt NiMh snake along the keel.
Very nice work you got there, Tony  O0
Your battery snake is very inspirational.
My intention is to replace, enhance and amend quite a lot of the stuff that comes with the kit with scratch built items. I will be very attentive concerning the up-top weight.I intend to keep the keel section below the motor deck accessible and fill it up with lead shot (leftover from the Imara build) once the time arrives.
Also, I will try to lay the battery all the way down onto the keel by way of a cutaway section in the motor deck plate.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 07:06:54 pm »

Long way to go yet, but the reason for the "snake is so I can move it fore/aft as much as possible if needed.
Tony

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2022, 06:33:20 pm »

Look what the cat dragged in!  :police: The kit finally arrived and I'm happy to report that everything looks OK. No cracked hull and no broken accessories, at least at first and second glance.I will have to sift through all of the parts to see if it anything is missing, though.In direct comparison to Imara, there is not a lot of stuff but what is there looks of good quality. With a few exceptions: the plastic props will have to go, of course. I'm not too sure about the prop shafts, either. We'll see.Oh, and some of the brass fittings definitely will have to be replaced with plastic fittings for sheer weight. Solid brass gasoline barrels, you gotta be kidding me  :o :}
Anyway. Every journey starts with the first step.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2022, 07:58:59 pm »

Replace the shafts before going much further, brass running in brass is not good as far as wear is concerned. My Billings Smit Nederland came with chrome plated brass shafts. It did a lot of running and the chrome wore off allowing the brass to run in the brass bearing and it wore down allowing water to leak in.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2022, 03:23:38 pm »

Thanks Jim, I have now ordered a couple of higher quality shafts along with the propellers.
And first things first, a boat needs a stand. This one will do for building.Also, I fitted the battery with my preferred flavor of connector. It is currently charging as I type this.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2022, 07:29:16 pm »

Got some assorted accessories from different shops over the last couple of days, like bow thruster, ESCs, servo, receiver, shafts and propellers.Some of the stuff isn't even on the photos (like the couplings and electronic switches). Now, if only the day job wasn't in the way  :D
Also got the famous Calypso book with some interesting facts, pictures and technical information that will no doubt come in handy.Fortunately it is in fairly good condition, although it smells a bit funny. But I guess this will air out over the next couple of centuries, though.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2022, 09:46:43 pm »

All pretty & shiny new bits Dom  .....[especially the brass prop %) ].....just what are you planning with the M1 - M2.5 GEWINDESCNNEID set?

[visual translation is very small sized Tap & Die set] O0

Was brushed technology preferable due to cost, or another consideration?

Looking forward to the build

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.