Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > DC Motors (Brushed) and Speed Controllers

Motor for Caldercraft Cumbrae

(1/3) > >>

SimonCornes:
I have an RS-550 motor that I'm thinking of using to drive a 40mm 3 blade Prop Shop prop. Speaking to Simon at PS he recommended maybe a 555 or a 777 so I'm wondering if the 550 I have will do the job? It feels like a multipole motor and I can see a Robbe sticker on the can.
Many thanks for your opinion,
Simon

Colin Bishop:
Simon, I think the 550 is the high speed, high current version. The 555 is the low drain version which would be appropriate for Cumbrae as Simon at Prop Shop suggests.

Colin

SimonCornes:
Ah, right, typical! It was one of the motors in my recent Imara renovation so it’s a good job it’s not in that boat anymore! So a 555 it will have to be then. At least it will fit the same mount!

Just had a look - where do you get a Mabuchi 555 from then? I saw one this morning for £12 plus postage but when I tried to buy later it was out of stock- typical!!

Colin Bishop:
Component Shop have them for £9.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/mabuchi-555-dc-motor.html.html

Treat yourself...

But the 555 needs at least 12v according to the spec so I wonder if a 540 which runs on 4.5v to 15v might be better? You could run it off a 9.6v pack.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/540-standard-dc-motor.html.html

Decisions!

Colin

GG:
Ah, the trials of finding a 500/600/700 series motor to match a sedate scale model.  I've been caught out a few times with an advertisement or even the sellers personal assurance that a motor would be an ideal match this type of model.  Perhaps the worst example was a kit based on a canal boat, the ultimate in sedate scale models?, which included a motor that would have been at more at home in a screaming fast electric model.  When tackled about this, the kit manufacturer admitted he had never actually tested the motor the model, but had been assured by the motor supplier that it would be perfect for this model...!!!

For this reason I tend to use the "Rock Climber" types of motor, which have many more armature turns, hence lower RPM but lots of Torque, to directly drive surprisingly large propellers safely. I've even rewound stock 27 turn motors (which were well past their high performance days) with something like 100 turns to carry on sailing in scale models.

There is an alternative of using a lower voltage battery to tame the speed of a motor.  I've used a 2 Volt battery (usually used to start glo-motors) to power a scale model using a stock 540 motor.  If using an ESC you simply have to connect the 2 Volt battery to the ESC  but  keep the BEC switched OFF and power the Receiver with a separate battery.

Glynn Guest

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version