Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drawing templates  (Read 5008 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Drawing templates
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2022, 11:47:09 am »

BB...the example i used was according to the Standard as used in Australia in 1964. It was based upon an old British Standard

Having said this, it was just plain simply dumb  >>:-( the side was called the front, the front was called the side........it was probably sketched up by Oliver Cromwells Draftsboy :o .......then so into British history

The example you show and name is in ISO format, which is logical  :-))  ...

The earlier sketches by a Bloke called Noah....depict his vessel in ISO format

Having said this, my mind is not capable and so will not allow me to complete the task........[not saying for a moment that it is a trick....but  :-X ]

Its not a trick, it is about perception.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2022, 09:21:55 am »

Well BB, appears we cannot engender any interest here.....[even with so many Members {:-{  using versions of CAD]  :-X

Could you please solve the interpretation?....... [and confirm from what projection?]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2022, 09:31:44 am »

3rd Angle:

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2022, 10:09:15 am »

Somebody else had posted the same question on Model Boats Magazine which I replied to yesterday with a similar answer which was accepted - mine had the curved end where the recess is but is square at the other end.

I just did a rough sketch!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2022, 11:22:32 am »

I think both would be correct, however I just plotted the intersecting lines to prove the additional plan

Sure didn't see it coming as a rounded shape  :embarrassed:

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2022, 11:30:33 am »

I was thinking it was either something to do with a triangle or a curve and decided on the latter once I'd sketched it out.

As was mentioned on the other thread it's hard to see curves when you are presented with boxes and square lines.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2022, 11:43:06 am »

A retired Engineering Manager colleague of mine here in Australia, picked it with 4 minutes [including response time]...[thankyou Geoffery]
-------------------------------

Sent: Friday, 4 March 2022 10:10 PM
 To: dlwarner@bigpond.net.au
 Subject: Drawing Question??
 Derek,  my guess its a cylinder or circular item with a groove milled in it.

---------------------
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2022, 02:08:07 pm »

I should hope so!

Chris

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2022, 03:51:09 am »

Sorry I am so late to the discussion but I have not been closely following the forum since the shelving of my model making activities.

The 45 degree line, a common practice in drafting, is clearly the method I used to extrapolate my ASR63 body plan (bulkhead drawings) from the sheer plan (elevation) and Half Breadth Plan.

Even with a hard chine, I found it very hard to accurately place the chine, forward flare and aft tumblehome, to achieve the authentic shape of each bulkhead. I also found that with Paralex error, photos cannot be relied on to trace any accuracy either. 

In the case of the MAIMI ASR63 the use of ASR63 dressed up as PT boats for McHales Navy with a similarity in the hull with the PT boats where the main difference being the chine line cause me confusion research. The ASR63 internal forepeak fit out would not marry with the PT boat forepeak due to the chine line difference.

If you have a plan view that a clearly shows the chine and the flare/tumblehome, verified with photos, bulkheads can easily be extrapolated but the use of a 3D CAD program would ease the process.
Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.