Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dyeing scale rope  (Read 1043 times)

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Potteries Model Boat Club
Dyeing scale rope
« on: February 26, 2022, 09:56:05 am »

I have some very nice white 'proper' rope made by Mobile Marine but I want to dye it a proper rope colour. I've started off with tea and then moved on to instant coffee - which is better but your rope smells of coffee! Its still not dark enough and I also want a black rope as well as dark hemp coloured one. I am thinking about Dylon hand wash fabric dye but once upon a time you used to be able to buy little 'cakes' of the stuff, now its a huge sachet! I'm also thinking about Ronseal wood dyes. Does anyone have any suggestions that might work?
Thanks
Simon

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Dyeing scale rope
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 12:30:26 pm »

Many years back our club built a large waterline model of the Discovery for the Parks Department for use in a flower display (their display won first prize at the show). I was given the task of making the masts and rigging and had to dye some line. For the black standing rigging I used Dylon dye which gave a good colour and for the running rigging I used Colron wood dye (Jacobean Dark Oak). Just soaked the line in the dye than drained it and run it through a cloth to remove excess liquid, once dried it gave a good colour, it dried to give a lighter colour than the original wood dye.The lines are still showing good colour even though exposed to the weather during the two displays it was in. The model is now in the City Chambers ondisplay in a glass case. (Even though it was just a waterline model it was test sailed on the pond before handover, with bare masts it sailed slowly in a light breeze.)

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 10:12:53 am »

Many years back our club built a large waterline model of the Discovery for the Parks Department for use in a flower display (their display won first prize at the show). I was given the task of making the masts and rigging and had to dye some line. For the black standing rigging I used Dylon dye which gave a good colour and for the running rigging I used Colron wood dye (Jacobean Dark Oak). Just soaked the line in the dye than drained it and run it through a cloth to remove excess liquid, once dried it gave a good colour, it dried to give a lighter colour than the original wood dye.The lines are still showing good colour even though exposed to the weather during the two displays it was in. The model is now in the City Chambers ondisplay in a glass case. (Even though it was just a waterline model it was test sailed on the pond before handover, with bare masts it sailed slowly in a light breeze.)

Jim

Thanks Jim
Just dipped the thinner of the two pieces of 'real' rope in Colron Peruvian mahogany and also tried with a piece of 'string' that wouldn't take a tea stain and the Colron seems to have worked with that to! Excellent. I still don't fancy spending £3 odd on a 'vat' of black dye for a 2 metre length of 'heavy' real rope though!! It must be a psychological thing!
Simon

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 10:54:21 am »

Simon.......one of my many qualification tasks in life ...was the Family Shoe Cleaner   :-X

Why not try some brown liquid shoe polish, finished over with Black [paste] polish.......

After all, 'Standing Rigging' was tarred  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 11:16:36 am »

That’s an interesting suggestion Derek! I may well give it a go!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.