Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best option in lite plywood  (Read 1062 times)

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Best option in lite plywood
« on: April 03, 2022, 06:50:40 pm »

Hello Everyone

I am looking for the best option in lite plywood for a small model build deck and cabin
I see a lot of poplar, wood used for lite plywood aircraft grade ?  I read somewhere poplar tends to soak up a lot of resin due to it being a very pours grain wood, which for what I gather end results a heavy build? and also read it can tear easy along the grain ?   Any help appreciated -looking to use 3 mm or 1/8 lite plywood and seal with finishing resin 
Thanks

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Best option in lite plywood
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 07:01:44 pm »

Have a look at the SLEC website:

https://www.slecuk.com/

The products they offer are pretty much the best.

Liteply does tend to need quite a bit of filling but benefits from being covered with lightweight GRP 1oz cloth:

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/collections/building-finishing-products/products/fibreglass-cloth-1oz-1m2

Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 08:00:48 pm »

I agree with Colin for the sheet wood - I've had a number of deliveries from SLEC and always received well packaged, undamaged and good quality.
Chris and his team are a pleasure to deal with.  :-))

Ray.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 08:20:10 pm »

SLEC packaging is top class.

Colin

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 05:02:17 pm »

Hello everyone

Thank you for posting I do know about SLEC, and yes there quality is outstanding! unfortunately they are currently not shipping their plywood
to the US I tried several times to place an order ? on that note material wise all I seem to find in lite plywood here is made from poplar
 I found some birch but was told it is twice the weight of over the poplar, if seal right do you think the poplar would be ok for a small model steam engine build for deck and cabin   Thanks 

RST

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 01:00:03 am »

This subject seems to have come-up as a hot-topic the last week or so roundabut now betweeen: Here, modelboatforum and RC groups?

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 11:52:08 am »

Hello everyone

Thank you for posting I do know about SLEC, and yes there quality is outstanding! unfortunately they are currently not shipping their plywood
to the US I tried several times to place an order ? on that note material wise all I seem to find in lite plywood here is made from poplar
 I found some birch but was told it is twice the weight of over the poplar, if seal right do you think the poplar would be ok for a small model steam engine build for deck and cabin   Thanks 

If you're building a steam launch with a displacement hull, and the engine and boiler are properly sized, the weight difference between birch and poplar ply won't matter a bit.  The question is price: do you want a finer-quality aircraft grade plywood or the usual cabinet-grade sold at lumberyards (some yards, anyways)?
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.