Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Losing radio connection to boat  (Read 3465 times)

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Losing radio connection to boat
« on: March 17, 2022, 11:49:42 am »

Had an issue yesterday, radio starts telling me that connection to RX is lost/on  at about 100m out . Think that i need to reposition the RX and support the aerial leads. Its a Radiomaster 16s and a Flysky RX. Must be interference from the electrics, as the aerial leads are hanging down, at shorter distances have no problems.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Losing radio connection to boat
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 12:17:14 pm »

As a simple check try rotating the aerial on the transmitter vertically upwards or downwards. The signal from the transmitter is basically polarised with in this case a horizontal polarisation. The receiver aerials are vertical so are not receiving the full strength of the signal. With these twin aerials it is best to have one vertical and one horizontal or both at 45 degrees with 90 degrees between them. this way at least one will in a better position relative to the transmitter. Also try and have the receiver aerials pointing upwards out of the hull.The actual receiver position should be OK, 2.4GHz sets are much less liable to being affected by other electronics than the older VHF sets.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 12:47:14 pm »

Remember its the tips of the aerials which are important. Get those above the water line and positioned as Jimg says. In your photo they are well below the water line.

Barrie

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 03:03:44 pm »

Hi Ronnie42,Some guidance for you ...... it is clear from the photo that your antennas are very poorly positioned. As has been pointed out, it is only the the last circa 35mm that is the actual antennas, most of the length is a screened cable. Reposition the receiver so that one antenna is vertical and the other either horizontal or at 45 degrees. The way you have the antennas positioned currently they are close to being below the waterline. This is why it works when close to the TX but fails at a distance. Also locate the receiver away from other electronics (i.e. motor, ESC, etc) and clear of other wiring.Hope this helpsSteve Dean.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 05:39:20 pm »

Drilled a couple of holes in the superstructure to pass the aerials through , they are above the waterline and further away from the ESCs thanks again.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 06:24:39 pm »

I have seen operators all the way
from 27Mhz to 2.4Gigs pointing
the end of the antenna at the model
being controlled. The main signal is
from the sides of the antenna. The
end is basically a null point.
Antennae at right angles are great for
aircraft operating in 3D,not so much
for waterborne models.

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 09:19:45 pm »

I've got a control line boat.... knit one, purl one, knit one, purl one.....!
   {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 09:49:40 pm »

I have a fishing rod and spinner that works, better than a rescue tug😎

RST

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 10:09:25 pm »

I hate to say but as you keep saying it's a wet boat there shouldn't be a need to put another 2 holes to the outside.  Radio waves should go through plastic and wood just fine.

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 10:12:46 pm »

It’s an OSV , people have had issues with the work deck , the superstructure is not a problem🤓

RST

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 11:20:16 pm »

AHTS maybe even.

I'd I were you I'd not be putting any unnecessary  holes in anything but what do I know.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 10:59:56 am »

Have the aerial leads been extended? If so why?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 12:27:36 pm »

Have the aerial leads been extended? If so why?

Regards  Ian.
These are the standard length for FrSky receivers. Most 2.4GHz receivers have the actual aerial section at the end of a length of coax cable to allow for better positioning and reception. (The actual aerial at the end is just the exposed inner of the coax.) These radio sets are not generally designed for us model boaters but for use in aircraft where it is important to get the aerial ends away from any dense objects which may reduce signal strength. Some designs even use extra satellite receivers which can be mounted at a distance from the main one. Its generally only when you get to pistol grip type transmitters as used in card and RTR boats that the sets are specially designed.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2022, 10:50:58 am »

Constant learning curve  O0  things obviously changed as early 2.4 gigglies receivers seemed to have only the grey lengths of wire shown as standard.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2022, 12:36:20 pm »

Constant learning curve  O0  things obviously changed as early 2.4 gigglies receivers seemed to have only the grey lengths of wire shown as standard.

Regards  Ian.
The original Spectrum 2.4 GHz receivers just had a short length for the aerial and many of their receivers still do (some of the newer ones have no external aerial probably using a track on the circuit board.) Many of these rely on a separate satelite receiver mounted at a distance to give good reception. Most other manufacturers have gone to extending the aerial with coax to get it further away from the receiver and clear of any masses that would absorb the signal. Of course even with transmitters the stub aerial on most 2.4 sets is purely for show, the actual aerial is just a short length at the end of a length of coax cable. Many sets now just have the Tx aerial internal, often inside a carrying handle. Good transmitters now have two or more aerials internally to give a less directional spread of signals. (I have a Jeti transmitter with two 2.4GHz transmitting modules with 2 aerials each plus a 900MHz transmitter with 2 aerials, all fitted inside the case around the screen at the top. Obviously intended for the more expensive aircraft where the radio link is very important and would be a vast overkill for boats.)
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
  • Looking into getting back into it, after 35+ yrs!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 06:17:12 pm »

I have seen operators all the way
from 27Mhz to 2.4Gigs pointing
the end of the antenna at the model
being controlled. The main signal is
from the sides of the antenna. The
end is basically a null point.
Antennae at right angles are great for
aircraft operating in 3D,not so much
for waterborne models.
Agreed. I'm a mostly digital engineer but with decades exposure to rf designs. A dipole (straight) up antenna does indeed have a null at the tip - the radiation pattern is typically more 'doughnut', or like earths magnetic field

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 06:37:49 pm »

As a simple check try rotating the aerial on the transmitter vertically upwards or downwards. The signal from the transmitter is basically polarised with in this case a horizontal polarisation. The receiver aerials are vertical so are not receiving the full strength of the signal. With these twin aerials it is best to have one vertical and one horizontal or both at 45 degrees with 90 degrees between them. this way at least one will in a better position relative to the transmitter. Also try and have the receiver aerials pointing upwards out of the hull.The actual receiver position should be OK, 2.4GHz sets are much less liable to being affected by other electronics than the older VHF sets.
Jim
I like the 45 degree idea.... gives me food for thought.
The thing about antennae is that longer isnt simply better - they have to be tuned to fraction/multiple of the wavelength (iirc a half-wave 2.4GhHz dipole is 12.7cm). I have a Spektrum receiver with a short stub and a longer but with summat active halfway down.
'Diversity' is also good, it's why wifi routers do/did have two antennae spaced suitably - if one is in the trough of the rf wave then the other is in the peak. As has been said - 90degree opposition is good for aircraft, but maybe less relevant to boats/cars

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2022, 07:40:27 pm »

Ah...... knew I had a photo somewhere.

My first 2.4 GHz RC outfit's instruction book went to great pains in describing how to install the receivers two aerials in model aircraft for best reception. Basically have them positioned at 90 degrees to each other.

As I like to be able install and remove RC gear quickly and easily in my models, a simple method was devised.  Just taping the ends of the aerials to a triangular piece of cards would achieve this.  The aerial card being placed above the waterline inside the wooden or plastic hulls that I use.  I'll tempt fate and say that this method has never failed me.....

Glynn Guest

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 07:51:56 pm »

My first 2.4 GHz RC outfit's instruction book went to great pains in describing how to install the receivers two aerials in model aircraft for best reception. Basically have them positioned at 90 degrees to each other.

As I like to be able install and remove RC gear quickly and easily in my models, a simple method was devised.  Just taping the ends of the aerials to a triangular piece of cards would achieve this.  The aerial card being placed above the waterline inside the wooden or plastic hulls that I use.  I'll tempt fate and say that this method has never failed me.....

Glynn Guest

Nice (clean and simple) solution!!  :-))
But I'd suggest the aspect of 'in model aircraft' - 3D.... For sure important when the receiver is at varying altitudes and horizontal orientations (banking etc). I'd contend though that a boat/car is not going through such aspect changes. If you're stood on the bank with upright Tx antenna, then the craft is always going to be best off also having upright antennae.
Maybe boats never get far enough away from us for this minutiae to matter :)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2022, 11:06:54 am »

Glynn Guest

I get the vertical/horizontal orientation of the 2 antenna lead ends - surley it makes more sense to place them as far apart as possible.

If for some reason there is an obstruction/null area to the received signal rather than both antennas sitting side by side and both being in that null area you stand a chance of receiving a signal (regardless of polarisation) on the other remotely spaced antenna which may not be affected by the null area...

Agree that this is unlikely to be mission critical on a slow boat chugging around the boating lake - but I add the comment for completeness....

Regards
C-3PO _._
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2022, 11:39:51 am »

Hummm... bit of confusion here methinks....

If you think about it the 90 degree orientation of the two receiver aerials in a model aircraft is not to have one vertical and the other horizontal.  This situation would be hard to maintain for any length of time, especially the way I fly my model aircraft!!!  It's more to do with if one aerial is orientated such that it receives a weak signal, then the other aerial has a better chance of detecting a stronger signal.

As my models are not built of radio absorbing or reflecting materials, it seems perfectly OK not to have them widely separated inside the hull .  I do however keep them away from batteries, current carrying wires and such like.  This would be hard to do in a model submarine but then 2.4 GHz is not usually commended for them.

Glynn Guest

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2022, 08:25:58 pm »

It is always good practice to separate the clean and dirty wiring in your boat. Power wires (dirty) should be separated from (clean) signal cables such as servo leads. Antennas should be considered ultra clean and kept well away from everything else. The antenna wires should be run vertically in a straight line. If they bend back on themselves, the induced currents will cancel reducing range. Also make sure that the Tx antenna is also kept vertically polarised. Noise is less of a problem with 2.4GHz systems than with the old 27 and 40MHz gear but good build practices should still be observed.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 08:34:56 pm »

and if more than one antenna connected to the same receiver kept a wavelength apart (approx 12.5cm @ 2.5Ghz) - assuming coax cable length allows.....
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

JimW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2023, 09:50:38 pm »

Thinking about Aerials and their length I’ve come across this advert and bought one for my new Futaba 4PM Combo set, not that I’ll use it but more from curiosity:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361600376127?hash=item54310fdd3f:g:0vcAAOSwClNeioed

The set arrived today so I spent a few hrs reading through it - nowhere is mentioned extended aerials although these are claimed to be suitable for Futaba amongst others. So who uses such things and what claims are made?

Jim
Loyal Moderator, 2 Aerokits 34” Fire tenders,
1 48” Vosper Fire Tender.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2023, 09:10:54 am »

Hi Jim,
I think you know this - to clarify the Aerial length is not being extended (the actual part that receives the radio signal).

The cable exiting the RX case often consists of two parts:
1. A coaxial cable allowing the received signal to travel back to the receiver (the thicker part of the cable)

2. The end part - the "active" receiving element(s) of the aerial more often than not cut to a specific resonant wave length

The extension cable kit comes with a longer coaxial cable part allowing the receiver case to be mounted futher away from the active receiving element(s) of the aerial system.
Some receivers will have the coaxial cable soldered directly to the receiver board - some will use some sort of sma connector (see pic) - either way you have to open the receiver case to swap aerials.

Hope that helps

Regards
C-3PO

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.