Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 40 meg Robbe Futaba F14 to 2.4Ghz ?  (Read 2824 times)

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Potteries Model Boat Club
40 meg Robbe Futaba F14 to 2.4Ghz ?
« on: March 29, 2022, 04:49:40 pm »

Hi. A club mate suggested to me that it’s possible to easily convert a 40 meg combo to 2.4 Gig by the addition of a device of some sort. I wondered if that meant a change of tx module and a new receiver but apparently it’s simpler than that. Can anyone enlighten me please?

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 40 meg Robbe Futaba F14 to 2.4Ghz ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 07:16:26 pm »

get an el cheapo tranny and swop the boards over, nemesis

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 08:46:51 pm »

Thanks Nemesis
I’ve been out of the rc boat game for awhile so is El Cheapo a make or a price point?  :embarrassed:  Not sure how you’d fix another board into an F14?
Thanks
Simon

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 11:34:49 pm »

Easy to type, not so easy to do! You would need at least a four channel set, with the channel potentiometers NOT hard wired to the board. Preferably with simple three wire connections to the pots, not four or five wire looms looped around the inside of the set. Plus, no doubt other issues I have not thought of at this late hour!
I will suggest one set that I have purchased with the intention of chopping up and modifying for a future project. Being able to take a large number of Tx sets apart over the years, don't ask! I settled on the Dynam Detrum Gavin 8C. Not a well known set but I believe it is based on early Spektrum technology. But, on opening the set I found eight individually wired channels, each with a three wire feed. Ideal for mods or could be dropped into an F14 case. The question is, once you have spent £125 on the Detrum set, why not keep it and bin the F14 case?!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 03:44:15 am »

different 2.4ghz system manufacturers have what they call "hacker" transmitter boards that can be installed into the f14, either in conjunction with the existing 40meg, or replacing it.  either way, you will need a matching 2.4ghz receiver to work with the new transmitter board.

an example:
http://www.rchacker.com/projects/turnigy-9x/frsky-dht-module-installation

one note of caution...  if you have ANY expansion modules that give you more channels (multi-switch or multi-prop) installed in the f14, the ONLY current 2.4ghz systems that will continue to let you use those are 2.4ghz DSSS equipment made by carona.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gantu

• Full Mayhemer
    • Modellbaudaten
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 12:46:39 pm »

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 01:35:55 pm »

Hi SImon, a friend has a Carona CT8 Z 2.4 unit with a Carona 8 channel CR 8D. Still in box, including fitting manual.
To convert to 2.4 and back again through a double throw switch. If you are interested let me know and I will PM
his details

John

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 01:50:37 pm »

You've probably Googled these results already, but:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36090.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDF-s7LhVGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRQ0vAHxYDA

Thanks Martin
The first YouTube video was really interesting as it featured an F14 and seemed very easy but I've just googled the Corona 2.4 GHz DIY DSSS and its available at AliExpress and I've avoided using AliExpress on the basis that I'm not sure that they are financially safe to deal with. Ebay are fine but I am very cautious about AliExpress!!! In addition the guy on the YouTube video uses a CTZ8 Tx unit and a CR8B Rx whereas the stuff I'm seeing now is a CT8J with CR8D Rx so not quite apples and apples! I have now got a strong desire to buy the one seen in the video but I guess it may not be available any more!!

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 01:52:05 pm »

Hi SImon, a friend has a Carona CT8 Z 2.4 unit with a Carona 8 channel CR 8D. Still in box, including fitting manual.
To convert to 2.4 and back again through a double throw switch. If you are interested let me know and I will PM
his details

John

Hi John
Great timing !! Yes, I would be interested if its as simple to install as the one in the YouTube video that Martin mentioned!
Simon

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 02:10:27 pm »

Hi Simon, if you type in Corona CT8 z on google it brings up videos of the unit being fitted.

I’ll[size=78%] send you the details .[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]John[/size]

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 02:14:26 pm »

Hi Simon, if you type in Corona CT8 z on google it brings up videos of the unit being fitted.

I’ll[size=78%] send you the details .[/size]

[size=78%]John[/size]
Thanks John

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 02:15:15 pm »

Simon

Keep hold of the 40mhz equipment. If you ever fancy (or come by) a submarine, the 2.4ghz doesn't work under water, whereas the 40mhz does.

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 02:19:20 pm »

Simon

Keep hold of the 40mhz equipment. If you ever fancy (or come by) a submarine, the 2.4ghz doesn't work under water, whereas the 40mhz does.

I will do Tony but 2.4GHz is great for sale boats where visible aerials aren't required!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 05:09:05 pm »

Given how cheap raido equipment is why would any one want to convert an old working system in to a new 2.4ghz ,beat me
john

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2022, 06:18:26 pm »

Well it’s a matter of opinion but can you buy a 7 channel multi function system for £30-£40 and operate it on both 2.4 and 40? Does that answer your question?

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2022, 06:27:52 pm »

Given how cheap raido equipment is why would any one want to convert an old working system in to a new 2.4ghz ,beat me
john

The F14, especially the F14 Navy twin throttle TX, can do things many normal Txs can't. 
Regards
Kit

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2022, 09:22:09 pm »

Hello!
I've been looking at this one, but never got around to it. Now it seems to be unavailable every where. No soldering needed as I understand it.
Hama
http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=P-FTM-TFH&Category=900-050-010-010-400

RST

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 09:28:12 pm »

Mike at Model Radio Workshop might be able to advise on parts if not a conversion?  I don't use my F14 these days but I must admit I can't see me ever parting with it!  It is such a nice simple set-up in the hands and I DIY hacked it for so many extra functions back in the day compared to the proprietary expansion modules and switches.

Rich

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2022, 11:13:26 pm »

Hello!
I've been looking at this one, but never got around to it. Now it seems to be unavailable every where. No soldering needed as I understand it.
Hama
http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=P-FTM-TFH&Category=900-050-010-010-400

Looks essentially similar to the Corona unit but my F14 doesn't have a trainer socket. I read around this and when the F14 was first released there were complaints that the type used for aircraft didn't have a trainer socket and people thought that odd for such a comprehensive system. Of course the 40 meg version was essentially the same but didn't really need a trainer socket.  So Futaba must have listened and a socket appeared - on all F14's.

My F14 has a board which is labelled T9588 in the top right hand corner so I assume it was superseded? If you have an F14 with a trainer socket then the installation looks extremely easy but I have read the instructions for the Corona I now have and it tells you to find the battery power supply line ( 5v positive wire?), the negative/GND/earth wire and the PPM signal wire. So, in the absence of a trainer socket, that's what I've got to do.

John44 very kindly sent me a diagram - which I have seen elsewhere and it includes notes in both French and English - and seems to be a drawing of the left side of the board I have. This shows the 'MULTI-OP' socket (into which the multi switch module is plugged) and it labels the wires as Ground (Earth/Negative/Black); PPM Out (which is red on mine); +5V (which is orange on mine) and +V (which is yellow on mine).

To be honest, this is worrying me because black normally means negative, red normally means positive (5v ?) and the signal - for a servo anyway- is white. So I don't know why the red wire is PPM. Can anyone shine a light here?
But, if the diagram is right, then maybe I can tap into the red/PPM wire with my Corona and then connect the 5v and negative/Ground to the two wires from the battery to the power plug that goes into the main board?
But, am I right? I really don't want to add 2 and 2 and equal a 'crack' and a cloud of white smoke!
Help!!!

Simon

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 02:27:32 pm »

I used a crystal earpiece (about £3 from ebay) to find the PPM. Just cut off the plug, connected 1 wire to -ve, then touch other wire on the wires you suspect may be the PPM output. The high impedance of the earpiece means that if you do put it on a +ve wire it wont cause damage. When you find the PPM wire you will here a clicking. Cheaper than an oscilloscope or a new transmitter board.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2022, 03:45:40 pm »

I used a crystal earpiece (about £3 from ebay) to find the PPM. Just cut off the plug, connected 1 wire to -ve, then touch other wire on the wires you suspect may be the PPM output. The high impedance of the earpiece means that if you do put it on a +ve wire it wont cause damage. When you find the PPM wire you will here a clicking. Cheaper than an oscilloscope or a new transmitter board.

That is very clever!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2022, 04:36:12 pm »

Yes, very clever ! :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2022, 05:17:34 pm »

Never heard of that Simon, as Martin said very clever.

John

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2022, 07:41:09 pm »

Thanks to Knoby's lead I've ordered one for £2.99 and free postage - eBay, chap in Runcorn. Beware, the ones I originally found one Ebay cost £4.99 but the list of 'similar' products below included the £2.99 one. Result!

It transpires that my F14 is an 'early' one with an IC that supports 7 channels maximum. When I bought the Multi Switch module - back in 1993 the receipt says! - it came with a 'multi-adapter' which I think allows up to 3 modules to be added (using the 3 auxiliary Channels). The later F-14 - with the trainer socket - uses a different IC and has all the extras included on the  Multi Adapter on the main board - you live and learn!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.