Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAD software compatibility Designspark or other recommendation  (Read 805 times)

npomeroy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
CAD software compatibility Designspark or other recommendation
« on: September 29, 2022, 01:37:07 am »

I'm just getting into 3D resin printing and want to be able to design my own parts as well as modify files from other contributors. I've downloaded the free version of DesignSpark which seems to be a very user-friendly program with good support but it seems to cost $1000 to get an add-on that allows importing files such as from solidworks. Is DesignSpark often used here? If that excludes me using imported files what software do you recommend? I'm looking at FreeCAD.
Cheers
Nelson

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: CAD software compatibility Designspark or other recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 06:48:24 pm »

fusion 360 has a free to hobbyist version, but most
free cad packages have some limitations, whether its the number of active files, or certain conversions

npomeroy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 12:01:33 am »

fusion 360 has a free to hobbyist version, but most
free cad packages have some limitations, whether its the number of active files, or certain conversions

Thanks.  Yes I looked at Fusion 360 and it seem you need to pretend to be a teacher (which is possible) or is there an explicit hobbyist category? Actually I'm keen on FreeCAD which seems to have a good user manual and appears to have full import/export ability.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 05:53:15 pm »

I've been using Designspark for years, it's a relatively easy to use software - but it leaves a LOT to be desired.  Like the ability to mirror a 3D object, and while 3D text in Designspark is do-able - it's very limited.  It's a direct modeling software which made it easier for me to wrap my head around.  But there's also no history in the software, so if you screw something up you better hope it's within your current session's UNDO limits.  2D drawing using constraints is available in the latest version, but as soon as you do anything in 3D, those constraints are no longer available.

I was trying to learn Fusion 360 at one time, but then Autodesk dumbed down the hobbyist version of it.  They offer the full package for what some consider a relatively reasonable subscription price.  Personally I believe that the days of  the free hobbyist version for Fusion 360 are numbered and that Autodesk will eventually go to subscription only.  Much like Dassault did with Draftsight.

I myself am now leaning toward FreeCad, it's Open Source so it's not going to go subscription. I have recently been trying to wrap my head around it, with some minor success.  I have found that there are a number of tutorials, by many different authors, available on the Interwebb - with sometimes conflicting directions.  I'm trying to find one person that I like, and am going to stick to THAT person's tutorials.

Just my personal opinions - YMMV.
Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

npomeroy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 09:08:15 pm »

I've had a good play with FreeCAD and that's they way I want to go. It's not a limited version of a commercial programme but is fully functional. Being supported by an open community it is a bit "nerd" oriented - i.e. lots of detail but a bit dodgy in places and under constant improvement. Likewise I use Gimp (rather than photoshop), and Inkscape (for vector 2D graphics) - all open source community based. Not out of any community spirit - just being tight-fisted.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 05:45:10 am »

as a professional CAD user, I do find all of the free CAD software extremely limited in function, but fusion 360 does what I want, and uses mostly the same commands as autocad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.