Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ooznest Workbee CNC Machine  (Read 2134 times)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Ooznest Workbee CNC Machine
« on: January 19, 2021, 05:34:03 pm »

I am currently pricing up a CNC machine from Ooznest

https://ooznest.co.uk/product-category/machines/

I am interested in any feedback / pointers - does anybody have any direct experience with this product or the company or can you recommend an alternative in the circa £2k market

Thank you in advance

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Ooznest Workbee CNC Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 06:49:18 pm »

I have dealt with the company for 3D printing materials and parts. They have been around for a number of years and were always reliable and gave good service.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 06:53:01 pm »

G'day Jim....always good to hear of a previous experience reference......they sound a bit like a Cockatoo's Home..... {-) ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 09:19:46 pm »

I bought a 3d printer from them several years ago, really helpful especially when I had some issues with it during the build! Very good company to deal with

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 05:37:11 am »

no problems here either, i have used them for new glass on my 3d printer bed

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 12:20:14 pm »

G'day Jim....always good to hear of a previous experience reference......they sound a bit like a Cockatoo's Home..... {-) ..... Derek
It's a 3D printer reference Derek, often when the hot print head is moved from one part of the print to another it leaks a little molten plastic, this is ooze. Some designs print a pillar alongside the object to collect this ooze and stop the chance of forming a blob on the object so an oozenest.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 12:26:12 pm »

Just a bit more information, this seems to be the latest form of a CNC router, they had previously sold another make which I had looked at but decided I wouldn't make enough use of it to justify the cost or the space it takes up in the workshop. Oozenest have quite a bit of experience with selling these machines and can be expected to provide any help needed in setting up, although these type of design just seem to need bolting the parts together then initialising the endpoints to be ready for use.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 12:31:50 pm »

Thank you for the comments - another piece of the plan coming togther.

I would buy without hesitation apart from the fact that I am looking for something with a substantially bigger 'Z' axis - and would be stunning if it had a 4th axis - I am hoping that I may be able to customise the Workbee.

Time to call them and see what's possible

Thanks again.
C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 07:32:07 am »

Did you call them? Sounds like we are both after the same thing!

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 10:58:23 am »

Hi me3,

I emailed them and their response was:  ( I must say my dealings with them (ooznest) so far, browsing their web page and range or hardware, seeing their online assembly instructions etc - it does come across as a very crisp, professional offering)

The easiest way to gain extra cut depth is to attach a spoiler board, which is the same size as the machine footprint, to your Workbench. Then fix the machine on top of this Spoilerboard, and remove the spoiler board supports. If you originally had a 12mm spoiler board, this would gain you an extra 52mm of Z-Travel, this an extra 26mm of cut depth. Bringing the total cut depth to 73mm. There wouldn't be anything of that sort of travel we could offer I'm afraid.

If only milling something like foam board I wondered if you could simply jack the frame even higher from the worksurface and swap the Z frame for a longer one to achieve perhaps upto 450mm travel.

I am 100% new to this subject matter, I understand steppers and how to drive them and that's about it! So my learning curve is vertical.

My destination is some of the pictures below. I realise now that one of the most significant factors is with any cnc machine is the stability/rigidity of the structure and moving parts to maintain accuracy of cutting. I also think I really need (want) a 4th axis :)

I need to decide if I am only ever going to mill foam board etc. or do I want a future capacity to mill wood or perhaps aluminium as it will have a significant impact on what I invest in.

There are some stunning second hand options on eBay/Facebook market place - but the pandemic means that these options for now are out of bounds unless using courier collection/delivery - like many, I like to see the item I am purchasing before I hand over squillions of beer tokens so I have drawn a very frustrating blank on that one for now - maybe just as well as I would have a beast sitting in the workshop right now before having completed my full research/evaluation.

I am tempted to buy a nasty cheap £100 3 axis laser mill from eBay and hook it up to Mach 3/4 to learn the software and G code before spending ££££. - Head over heart - would be the first time...

Oh and of course the minor issue of having the design completed in CAD/CAM so send to the cnc machine - I am currently playing with Fusion

I have found this subject quite absorbing, so will have enjoyed the research and learning and sincerely hope I don't end up with a "white elephant" sitting gathering dust

Regards
C-3PO

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 11:37:37 am »

Hi, thank you for the detailed reply! We are into the same boats and I want to make exactly the same as you. Just from my natural skill set I can draw hulls etc very easily on a computer, just need to find someone with a 4 axis mill to produce them for me. I would love to buy one but a big investment, 4 axis is a must for making hulls like you posted. I know someone who spent 1600 on a 3 axis from China, and while the machine is very good the electronics and support from the supplier have been extremely poor!

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 08:30:48 pm »

Hi C-3PO

Nearly 3 years since the posts above - I suddenly remembered this thread!

I am now a owner of ooznest CNC machine and have started making a plug. It is made in 18mm sections of scrap ply, will be used to take moulds from. So yes it is possible!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.