Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anchor winch power  (Read 1197 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
Anchor winch power
« on: March 31, 2022, 01:17:29 am »

Crew hi I am looking at a working anchor winch 1/24 scale on my Flower class Corvette one side only in the past I just used micro switches via a  servo for the fwd Rev power , now I am thinking of a ESC to allow faster slower operation of the anchor chain and the anchor, my question is what size ESC should I be looking for 10 to 20 Amp for example my concern is that due to windage of this model I may need to retrieve the pick somewhat faster at times if required tassie48

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Anchor winch power
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 02:07:18 am »

tassie48.....

By convention, anchors are usually dropped unloaded [at a regulated speed], then retrieved at a slower speed as the weight  of anchor + chain is the load

How far [distance] do you need to drop the anchor chain?....a sail winch servo + an ACTion P96 servo slow could help,  however is not RC regulated in use

https://manualzz.com/doc/25659279/p96-webpage.cdr---action-electronics

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 02:21:49 am »

Derek hi mate forgot to add either a clutch system to drop the anchor about 250 to300 grams in weight and some 6 meters of brass studded anchor chain ,one idea was to speed up the dropping if not clutched hence the speed controller ,  my main concern is due to the windage of the model 2.600 long X 420 mm wide there may be times that I may need to recover the anchor and chain some what faster than Normal as well as I would like to anchor up for a while whilst I enjoy a nice cuppa. Do appreciate the comments will look into it as well .Just watched the Warnie service great turn out stay safe tassie48

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 06:50:30 pm »

search Krick working anchor winch, i have used one and it worked a treat, clutch lets it drop under its own weight and the recovery speed can be controlled,

Bob
I will finish this model

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 07:23:39 pm »

Check out radio controlled car 4x4 winches. Quite powerful and compact.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RST

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 07:47:25 pm »

Might want to cast an eye at Bauer Modelle?  They do a smaller winch package than I'd imagine you'd like but there's maybe useful info on there anyway.

Is windage for recovery an issue?  Not sure but you'd sail forwards as the winch spools anyway?

Rich

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 10:18:55 pm »

Thanks guys will review all the systems ,  Rich I have a really nice shallow sandy beach in our lake that is just great to anchor up the wind tends to push you sideways on to the beach and being a single screw operation we have had many a laugh and and a good time along with some funny rescue attempts there just five feet of water and the wind coming around the point catchs you very quickly still part of the hobby that we enjoy stay safe everyone tassie48

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 01:18:02 am »

Had not seen this Krick unit.........brilliant :-)) ...Cornwalls say temporarily unavailable but others say yes for stock, but crazy prices.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Tp_rYpHWk

The Bauer version appears [identical?] like from the same manufacturer

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 03:40:21 pm »

hi Everybody, I believe if you look for a topic called 'Anchors Away' on this forum - how to make anchor winches are discussed in depth there.  There are several types shown.

Also, just out of curiosity, I wonder if the chains will twist and will the anchors not foul each other when they are both lowered at the same time and retrieved at the same time?   On the life sized ships the normal practice is to drop one anchor to the seabed - pay out extra chain - and move the a different spot and drop the 2nd anchor.  This gives a stronger holding on the seabed and is only normally ever done when there is a headwind or the vessel has to do a heavy pull/lift.   Just wondering.

ANCHORS AWAY (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

RST

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 12:51:12 am »

Had not seen this Krick unit.........brilliant :-)) ...Cornwalls say temporarily unavailable but others say yes for stock, but crazy prices.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Tp_rYpHWk

The Bauer version appears [identical?] like from the same manufacturer

Derek

Not sure for true but other text on Bauer website alludes to them producing parts for other more well known European names.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.