Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slipway winch for Tyne class 1/19 - 4Kg  (Read 1347 times)

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
Slipway winch for Tyne class 1/19 - 4Kg
« on: April 01, 2022, 04:09:30 pm »

Hi,I wonder if someone is around who has built a lifeboat slipway (1/20 to 1/12) with recovery and can tell me a bit about the winch used, or built. Especially motor and mechanics.
I got hint's that crawler front winches can get up to 3kg or more.  My Tyne 1/19 should be less then 5kg but sliding on teflon and rolls. Such a crawler winch would work but I would have to hide it inside a fake huge (green) wich.Anyone still there?Best regards,
Joerg

Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Slipway winch for Tyne class 1/19 - 4Kg
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 10:23:57 pm »

I have built slipways for both 1:12 and 1:16 Tamar lifeboats, each with fully radio controlled launch and recovery, weight was not a problem.  The winch used an old 12v electric brushed motor and since the boat is not being lifted, there is plenty of power to do the job.

Recovery was simple, a  magnet ( https://www.first4magnets.com/hook-eyebolt-clamping-c40/25mm-dia-neodymium-clamping-magnet-with-m5-hook-or-eyebolt-20kg-pull-p3491#ab_1_22|ps_2_1356 )   was fixed to the front of a trolley that was on the end of the winch cable. A steel plate was embedded in the stern for the magnet to latch onto.
Here is the video of the 1:12 Tamar slipway.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAx9-lbyFvc                                   

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 08:04:36 am »

Hi Kinmel,I've seen your Tamar, it's a fantastic boat (or built). With more space here at home, it may have guided me to build a large Tamar too.
The slipway with the Lego-like (or is it Lego?) carrier is a great idea, and now I know that it's just metal on the boat side.  I recently have built a small pontoon with neodym magnets on a hinge and smaller (and less strong) magnets in fenders on my boats.  Having a strong magnet in the keel end of the Tyne too, would cause a 'grabbing' of the stern just when it comes close to the pontoon.
I'm building the Douglas slipway which isn't the easiest one, your carrier won't work 1:1 but I'm thinking about solutions with that idea. But first I have to build the slipway....

As I'm also building the boathouse I 'dream' of having a person with a hammer standing near the stern and while turning the person towards the keel end, the boat will be released from the hook (of course including the real sound).
Now I have to think about the keel end with hook and enough metal.
Do you have a control for the winch motor (ESC?) or is it just on/off?  I thought of a gear motor with 5-20 turns per minute, direct driven winch trommel, but with 6.6V (LiFePO).Best regards,Joerg

My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 08:27:44 am »

That was just a proof of concept, hence the lego !   The project was abandoned because a realistic boathouse and slipway would have been too large to transport to events.
The boathouse/slipway had it's own receiver working off the boat's transmitter, one stick controlled the winch motor using a esc. The boat was held on the slipway with servos, your man with the hammer could be attached directly to a servo.
I would be very interested in your design.
Alan

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 08:56:21 am »

Hi Alan,you can follow my building here:https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67839.msg736854.html
The boat hull and plans ar 1/19, boathouse and slipway will be 1/20 roughly as I don't want to build it in perfect scale.
The current boathouse is 1,05m long the slipway is planned to be 2,40m long (for about 50cm height loss from the front of the boathouse) very similar to the real one. As I have limited building-, storage- as well as transport space (I usually take more than one project with me) I'm planning to buil the slipway in 4 pieces, 80cm + 60cm foldable, that should go under the bouthouse floor for transport and two 50cm pieces wich will fit into an extra euro-norm box (60x40cm).In 1:12 the slipway would be 4m!  Tamar boathouses are even larger than my Douglas one.  You probably could take something like a Toyota Hiace and paint it like a boathouse then  {-)
All three projects will be built in parallel, and usually also parallel other things.The boathouse will have it's own transmitter too, as my pontoon has (allthough at the moment it's just the magnet servo switch, nothing more, light is manually switched).
Best,
JoergBelow my current Pontoon and some of my boats, 1:20 (GESINA 1:10)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 09:25:57 am »

Magnificent.
ps  I found small lego wheels are ideal as rollers in the slipway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.