Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vosper MTB 77  (Read 3465 times)

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
Vosper MTB 77
« on: April 04, 2022, 03:25:47 pm »

Hello, having just registered with Model Boat Mayhem I now look forward to chatting and sharing ideas.

I am currently building the Italeri Vosper MTB77 and will also be converting it to RC
with 2 motors driving 2 props, this is my first attempt although I have built many airfix type kits for my kids and grandkids.

Yes the actual boats had 3 engines but I felt this unnecessary on my model.
So far from opening the box I have nearly completed the deck and will soon start on the hull and electrics etc.
Am thinking to use geared motors MFA Torpedo 500 ratio 50:1 with 3 blade propellers either 20 or 25mm.
If anyone has comments, good or otherwise I am keen to listen.

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
Vosper MTB 77
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 03:58:54 pm »

Sorry forgot to post pics of build so far.
Top sides nearly finished, next up is the hull with all the electrics and working bits.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vosper MTB 77
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 12:15:27 pm »

HI David build looking good  an are you a member of the norwich model boat club ?
an there is a Garla boat open day at eaton park boat club an you can get your car into the pond edge an you dont have to be a member all you have to do is turn up an have a nice day whatching others sailing their boats as im goin up there with my big hms norfolk just bring a chair to sit on an lets hope its nice wheather on sunday  april 24th
ATB
Chris b  :-))

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 04:29:30 pm »

Hello Chris,
Thanks for your reply and the information re Norwich Boat Club.
I will look forward to the 24th April andwatchout for HMS Norfolk.
Regards
David

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 06:27:14 pm »

Hello Chris,
Thanks for your reply and the information re Norwich Boat Club.
I will look forward to the 24th April andwatchout for HMS Norfolk.
Regards
David

OK David look forward to seeing you an you will have to speak up for me as got a hearing aid as getting old but lets hope the whather plays ball with some sunny wheather
just got to remember to charge up my batts for norfolk an r/c batts
ATB chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 12:43:06 pm »

HI David anymore done on this mtb build ?
chris  :-))

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 02:21:56 pm »

Hello Chris
I have just ordered propshafts, P brackets and steering linkage to arrive sometime next week.
After that will be the motors, esc's and batteries and figure out the best way to install same.
Have you any projects on the go?
Regards
David

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 02:59:21 pm »

Hello Chris
I have just ordered propshafts, P brackets and steering linkage to arrive sometime next week.
After that will be the motors, esc's and batteries and figure out the best way to install same.
Have you any projects on the go?
Regards
David

HI David yes ive got a small build on here  {-) [size=78%]lol  an that CHRIS'S  HMS TIGER C20 by frogman an TO SEE PICS HIT THE LINKS AN THE PICS WILL COME UP  its a few pages of build an im enjoying it imenssenly if you look down about 3 build on here you BELOW YOURS YOU WILL SEE IT   as so far its been a nr 3 yr build an got a few working items on it an at the moment im making the working seaking hellicopter that will be landed on the flight deck SO YES IM BUSY ON HERE [/size]  an remember David always fit a fuse before your esc an motor an if you want help i'll be pleased to help you with wireing up your boat
ATB CHRIS

RST

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2022, 10:07:47 pm »

Hi, I am itching to ask and not meaning to put anyone down but my little PT boat is a bit smaller at 1:48 and couldn't really go any faster on hull speed with a single 400 motor. When I look at your kit others say thay are split between 300/400 size motors if not brushless.  I know yours is a bit bigger at 1:35 but have you checked how heavy a 500/540 motor is?  MFA torpedo at 12v with some other gearing at 1:50 would take propeller rpm to 150 which would be decidingly lack-lustre on a 20 or 25mm prop, plus the motor would be the bulk of the weight (x2!).  I use little 20 or 25mm props on my small little displacement models but virtually nothing would move at the shaft speed you posted.

Model looks good so far though!  How have you got access to the hull or mamaged to fix the deck to the hull?

Rich

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 09:40:53 am »

Hello Rich and thanks for your interest.

This is my first attempt converting to RC so all input from experienced modellers is most welcome.
I have only worked on the topside first which is almost finished and I will start on the hull and the rc stuff shortly.
I have only just ordered the prop shafts and steering linkage which should be here next week.
As for the geared motors I may have over thought that, and agree they're too heavy and as this is my first attempt will look at standard motors probably 2x400.
Not looking to emulate correct scale speed of the MTB which reportedly was approx 40mph, just something to give me confidence to proceed to bigger projects.
Anyway much appreciate your input.
What other working boats do you have.
Regards
David

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 09:46:35 am »

Hello Chris
Wow that's modelling on a whole new scale, totally impressed and will be asking you lots of questions when I see you.
Regards
David

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2022, 08:04:23 pm »

Hello Chris
Wow that's modelling on a whole new scale, totally impressed and will be asking you lots of questions when I see you.
Regards
David

HI David so i gather you have seen my tiger build an yes im happy at how things are goin as had a few mishaps but like you im still learning even after 8 big warships an 30 odd yrs but i'll try an help you on the R/C an motor setup if i can an remember always fit in a fuse box before the esc an motors as it could save you a lot of money  ps if we meet up at norwich pond on the 24th gala day then i will show the insides of my norfolk so you can see how to set up your R/C an esc an motor as that will be a lot easyier than qeustions
chris b :-))

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2022, 08:12:56 pm »

Hello Chris
Yes totally blown away by your pics.
Would love to build from scratch but I need more practise so will finish this MTB and then look at another kit with more advanced requirements.
Regards
David

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 08:37:33 pm »

Hello Chris
Yes totally blown away by your pics.
Would love to build from scratch but I need more practise so will finish this MTB and then look at another kit with more advanced requirements.
Regards
David

AN HI again David glad you like the tiger build

[size=78%]Would love to build from scratch but I need more practise so will finish this MTB and then look at another kit with more advanced requirements.[/size]
[size=78%]David qoute [/size]

[size=78%]VERY WISE  David dont try to run before  learn to walk  an yes get a kit seems a good idea [/size]
[size=78%]chris b[/size]

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 09:10:08 am »

HI David thanks thanks for comin up the pond on sunday an it was nice to meet you an  sorry i dint talk to you much but there were so many people i was talking too i hope you liked my norfolk an when i shew you the working inside i hope you got a little idea of how to go about fittin in R/C in your boat

AN my  norfolk sailed ok but it was a pity about that flamein cold wind as my norfolk was barley makin headway against that wind but it was really my fault on that as ive turned down the speed control on the ESC as before it was goin like a greyhound way to fast an my boaty m8 richard said it ought to be slowed down so thats what ive done but after yesterday wind blowin against it im gonna open the speed again so shes got more poke

but could not get to where the controls are as it was under the flight deck an need a very thin screwdriver which i had but i dint feel like opening it all up as i was  too cold an my fingers were numb so i will do it indoors where i can hear how much the motors are reveing an set it up again so it will take a good wind i think i should have left it be really an let her go way over scale speed then yesterday i would not have had that problem any way hope to see you again up the pond as there were quite a few models there so in my book it was a sucssefull day bar that wind

ATB to you an i hope to see your boat comin togeather on here an see it in real up pond as i was talking to one of the club members an he said there is another garla day in june so maybe up there again pity tiger isnt ready but well im enjoyin the build
chris an jen

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 11:12:32 am »

HI David hows it comin on on your boat as havnt heard nothing from you an will you be comin to the pond on june the 19th as its warship day  so got to hope for nice warmer wheather
ATB TO YOU
chris  :-)) :-))

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2022, 09:13:36 am »

Hello Chris
sorry not replied earlier been busy, unfortunately not on my model lol.
Enjoyed meeting you at the pond and loved HMS Norfolk, very impressive.
As for my MTB, the delivery of propshafts and brackets etc was delayed but should be with me in next 7 days.
In the meantime I have been fabricating new rudder stocks from 3mm brass rod and blades from plastic/resin as they are exposed on the transom. The ones that come with the kit where plastic sticks and seemed fragile.
As for 18th June yes I will pop over in the morning to the pond and look forward to watching the warships in use.
Regards
David

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 09:14:24 am »

Sorry meant 19th

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 10:21:29 am »

OH good dave  an this time i'll try an make some  more time to talk to you as last time there were so many people that i had to talk too as i dint want to offend them an lets hope its flamein warmer an not raining due it will be cancelled as the great british wheather often b*lls up the day  which is dissapointing anyway hope to see you on the 19th of june
ATB chris :-))

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 03:56:42 pm »

Installing prop tubes with oiler attachment and P brackets, making rudder posts from brass rod and making rudders as the ones with the kit where very flimsy....just for a static show boat only.

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2022, 03:59:15 pm »

Pics so far

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2022, 05:28:04 pm »

lovely WORK dave  never seen a rudder layout like this though will it be ready to sail up norwich pond on warship day on sun june 19th ? :-))
chris

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 06:35:31 pm »

Hi there Chris

Vosper often used stern slung rudders on their high speed launches during the War years.  They were easy to mend if damaged by underwater objects.  You will also see the majority of them have what is known as a 'cavitation plate' fitted just above the rudder, attached to the transom of the boat.   I am attaching a pic of the Vosper Air Sea Rescue Launch and if you have a close look at the photograph you will see the stern slung rudders, just visible.

John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2022, 07:32:25 pm »

YES I SEE them John cheers for the info
chris :-))

David Atkins

• Shipmate
  • New to the RC scene
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2022, 08:51:38 am »

Hello Chris
It will not be ready for the water yet[size=78%] mainly because we are in the process of moving house so lots of sorting out to do.[/size]
I will however pop over and see you on the 19th.
Regards
David

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.