Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Servo and sails  (Read 1552 times)

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Servo and sails
« on: April 07, 2022, 05:56:56 pm »

Hi guys
Can anyone help me with my sail linkage
I have aServo winch which I would like to control two sails I would like the main to have full movement and the jib to be half the length controlled on a circular movement my boat is 52 “ in length and 15” beam
Hope this makes sense
Regards Geoff

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Servo and sails
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 06:31:09 pm »

Hi Geoff,

Not sure your question is how to make the jib move 50% of the main sail movement or how to control/move both.

The video below shows tha basic - apologies if you already know this bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ru4ynQs2c

It might be easiest to have 2 setups (control loops) as per video both on the same RX channel and one winch servo has a "black box" electronic servo movement adjuster limiting the movement to 50%

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 09:30:35 pm »

Thankyou for replying C-3PO
I can replicate what you have shown me, what I am looking for is one servo only, currently I have ben out of circulation for some time, some time ago I made the schooner a  "taste of freedom", it was an exercise to get over my first heart attack, she sailed beautifully with one servo winch controlling both sails
I took the servo and the linkage from her and then decided to build the VO60 ocean racer I was at the stage of fitting the servo into the VO60 when things went wrong with me again, so after a considerable time I am now attempting to refit the VO60 with the schooners control system
the one servo gave me full movement on the main sail, and half that for the jib, I did not keep a copy of how to do this, and I am struggling to remember how I did it, its not impossible as it worked in the Schooner
I hope some can help
Geoff

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 09:57:50 pm »

Hi Geoff,

Assuming that both sails are fitted with a boom, would the distance between the pivot point for the boom and the fixing point of the sheet on the boom affect the travel?  If i'm right then to get what you want, the pivot to sheet distance on the jib boom needs to be twice that of the mainsail, I think {:-{ ,

Ralph

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 10:50:37 pm »

Hi Ralph
Yes your right, if this did not happen once the jib meets its limit the the line inside the boat would be slack and loose, if that makes sense, the line to the jib boon has to remain taut so it needs to travel through some where like a pivot point inside the boat, this is what I can’t remember
Geoff

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 05:18:04 am »

If you are using a drum winch (winds line around a drum) measure how much pull you want,that is the length of line you want to pull in..if you know how many turns the servo makes then calculate the diameter of the drums you need. You can fix one drum above the other on the servo.
If you have a sail arm servo let us know as the answer is different

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 11:41:57 am »

Good morning Tiger
I have a drum servo HS785HB which worked well on my Schooner, it has a loop system which takes it around the boat internally there are two pulleys at the bow and on its return there is an adjuster pulley before returning to the servo, there is also a clip in line holding a spring for tension, I remember two lines being attached to the clip for each sail, the jib line went though a pulley before being attached to the jib sail, I have some photos of the boat which I hope to attach

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 11:51:57 am »

Sorry Tiger
photos did not go, can’t remember how to reduce them, they are to big to send
Geoff

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2022, 05:39:45 pm »

Hello Tiger
I have trolled through the various posts that deal with sails and setting them up, and I came across one of yours in 2009 where you built the Monsoon 900
on the replies 31 and 40 you describe the problem I have, and you used one servo but do not show how you dealt with the different lengths from the servo to both sails, if you can recall how you did this could you explain in more detail please
regards Geoff

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 05:43:42 pm »

Tiger tiger
I have remembered and have attached sketch of how I did it, so it’s putting it in the boat
Regards Geoff

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 05:53:04 pm »

My apologies tiger still not able to send photo
The system is one servo using a loop system, a fixed pulley takes a line through a tube around a loose pulley and back around the fixed pulley and attaching to the loop, at the same point of the loop with a line going to the main sail, [size=78%]In the tube attached to the loose pulley a line goes to the jib sail. [/size]
[/size][size=78%]Will try to send a photo[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Geoff[/size]

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 07:21:02 pm »

last try tiger
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.