The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

Servo and sails

(1/3) > >>

howie55:
Hi guys
Can anyone help me with my sail linkage
I have aServo winch which I would like to control two sails I would like the main to have full movement and the jib to be half the length controlled on a circular movement my boat is 52 “ in length and 15” beam
Hope this makes sense
Regards Geoff

C-3PO:
Hi Geoff,

Not sure your question is how to make the jib move 50% of the main sail movement or how to control/move both.

The video below shows tha basic - apologies if you already know this bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ru4ynQs2c

It might be easiest to have 2 setups (control loops) as per video both on the same RX channel and one winch servo has a "black box" electronic servo movement adjuster limiting the movement to 50%

Regards
C-3PO

howie55:
Thankyou for replying C-3PO
I can replicate what you have shown me, what I am looking for is one servo only, currently I have ben out of circulation for some time, some time ago I made the schooner a  "taste of freedom", it was an exercise to get over my first heart attack, she sailed beautifully with one servo winch controlling both sails
I took the servo and the linkage from her and then decided to build the VO60 ocean racer I was at the stage of fitting the servo into the VO60 when things went wrong with me again, so after a considerable time I am now attempting to refit the VO60 with the schooners control system
the one servo gave me full movement on the main sail, and half that for the jib, I did not keep a copy of how to do this, and I am struggling to remember how I did it, its not impossible as it worked in the Schooner
I hope some can help
Geoff

Ralph:
Hi Geoff,

Assuming that both sails are fitted with a boom, would the distance between the pivot point for the boom and the fixing point of the sheet on the boom affect the travel?  If i'm right then to get what you want, the pivot to sheet distance on the jib boom needs to be twice that of the mainsail, I think {:-{ ,

Ralph

howie55:
Hi Ralph
Yes your right, if this did not happen once the jib meets its limit the the line inside the boat would be slack and loose, if that makes sense, the line to the jib boon has to remain taut so it needs to travel through some where like a pivot point inside the boat, this is what I can’t remember
Geoff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version