Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone identify this kit/model  (Read 1759 times)

Riot van

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Can anyone identify this kit/model
« on: April 16, 2022, 12:50:05 am »

Picked up this RC sail boat second hand. Seller didn't know anything about it. I really liked the look of it and bought it.

Its a fiber glass Hull with wood mast, decks and superstructure etc.

The Hull looks exactly like a Revell Inga IV but the superstructure is totally different as well as the rig. It also looks like it either had 2 masts at one point or possibly the kit had the option to fit two masts. Perhaps its a custom design using an Inga Hull or modified Inga.
Can anyone identify it?

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Can anyone identify this kit/model
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 08:48:52 am »

Yes it looks very much like a 'Hegi' Inga IV hull with custom superstructure,
original kits had 2 masts and auxiliary prop propulsion, check out the overall length 1100mm etc to be sure.

Kingston Mouldings from Bournemouth area also produced Inga IV glass fibre hulls
therefore it's likely to be one of these with a freelance superstructure.

Paul.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 06:21:08 pm »

Inga, We run a fleet of 10 plus, excellent vessel and a joy to sail. nemesis

Riot van

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 12:45:15 am »

Inga, We run a fleet of 10 plus, excellent vessel and a joy to sail. nemesis

OK thanks. Would it still be considered an Inga? The rig is different to the standard kit so I guess someone built this from a Kingston mouldings Hull. Is it the Hull that defines the class?

I guess since it was possible to purchase a Hull then there are probably many different designs featuring this same Hull?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 07:15:58 am »

Hi Inga IV is a full size yacht.
https://www.facebook.com/Inga-IV-Classic-Yacht-for-sale-256791811498028/
Not sure if the full size yacht is still for sale.
I have seen photos showing mast detail and the kit model is either a simplified model or the prototype has been updated.
So not a class but a single full size yacht which has been re-created as a model.  I have one myself and she sails very well.  I recently was lucky enough to come across a new set of sails and this is what she has now.

There is room for much detail on the deck and the original sail set up is better than the one you have illustrated which is a not very good attempt at a gaff rig, which this hull would not really have ever had.
Plans for the kit are relatively easy to find and it is worth seeking them as if you like a bit of woodwork and marquetry then you will enjoy it.
The engine is optional mine has an electric motor.  You do not need much power to propel a yacht and you will never overcome the effect of the wind on the sails so regard it as a way of recovery when the wind drops.

The group up north are experienced sailors of this hull and my old set of red sails went to them a few years ago. 

Personally I would ditch the current mast sail set up as it does not do the hull any favours.

Best of luck
Roy

Riot van

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 09:33:34 am »

OK thanks. I'm probably going to leave it as is since I didn't buy this with project in mind and I do actually like how it looks including the gaff rig. If I went the route of making it into an inga I'd also have to re paint in the right colours and the whole thing would become a big project.

Whoever built this must have been recreating a different yacht that perhaps has a similar Hull shape.

The thing I may do eventually is replace the mast with something closer to the Inga set up. You mentioned the gaff rig isn't that good. What is wrong with it? I don't know much about gaff rigs but to me the workmanship on the sails/booms and ropes looked well done.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 06:13:46 pm »

The rudder looks just a little large to me  :o
Steamed up all the time

Riot van

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 08:56:43 pm »

The rudder looks just a little large to me  :o

Yeh it is quite big, I'm not going to be making any large changes to the model though as I like how it looks and am not interested in another project right now. I'll see how she sails as is.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 09:17:04 pm »

suggest you get a set of plans for this yacht as you never know which direction your interest goes in the future. nemesis

Riot van

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 10:48:48 pm »

suggest you get a set of plans for this yacht as you never know which direction your interest goes in the future. nemesis

I'll have a look for some and keep it in mind for the long term.  For now though I'll be leaving as is. Looking at the original I'm confident I could build the superstructure but I think the deck will be difficult to model.

Riot van

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 05:03:49 pm »

Anyone know where I'd find these plans? To be honest it might be better to try find a unfinished Inga kit or retstro project than refit this one should I ever deicide I want an Inga model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.