Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turnigy 9XR  (Read 932 times)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Turnigy 9XR
« on: April 18, 2022, 07:25:26 am »

I have a Turnigy 9XR transmitter and am very pleased with it, but the lipo transmitter battery wont charge. I get the error message "Connect Error Check Main Port".

Battery voltage shows 11.3 volts. Now to be fair the transmitter battery is at least 5 years old and looks a bit puffy so suspect despite the voltage its probably had it. I also haven't used it for ages.

I'm trying to find a replacement and whilst Hobby King show it they don't appear to have any in stock albeit a search shows other brands which may fit albeit they have different charging connectors. On the battery all the leads are thin presumably because there is no great current demand for the transmitter.

Ok, some questions?

Can I use any Lipo 3 cell 11.1v 2.2 provided it will fit?

Assume the balance plug 4 wires are 3 power when charging and common earth. Note that its the balance plug that connects to the radio.

What's the difference between a lipo transmitter battery and an ordinary lipo, assume its the ability to provide much higher amps for more demanding applications and that's all? Will it be ok to use such in a transmitter?

Anybody know where i can get a direct replacement?

Thanks

Geoff

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Turnigy 9XR
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 08:12:42 am »

Hi Geoff,
From the net....

Have you got both power & balance leads connected when charging?

The red connector is a JST with the  red & black wire  which is the power connector for your charger.

The white plug is a JST-XH which is the standard balance plug connector which plugs into the balance port on your charger.

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Turnegy 9XR
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 12:15:31 pm »

Any 2S LiPo of suitable size will do for your transmitter, generally Tx batteries are low C rateing as they are not intended for high currents but any C rating will do. The Tx will only take the current it needs regardless of the battery rating. A far as the balance connector the vast majority of LiPo packs use the same connector type and if this is what is used to connect to the transmitter then you will be OK. If the battery also has another connector then it can be ignored although bulkier ones may take up space in the battery box.
If you are not using the Tx for some time then it is a good idea to regularly check the voltage of the pack. Many of the modern sets use a digital push switch for power not a slide switch, these will take power from the battery as long as its connected as they never fully switch off. The drain is low but over several months can lead to flattening the battery which LiPo cells do not like.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 01:18:36 pm »

Thank you both. I figured the C rating is irrelevant as the transmitter will only take what it needs. Its a 3 cell pack and again think the battery has had it.

Yes both the charging lead and the balance lead were connected.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 04:27:51 pm »

As an update the original battery pack had died. New one fitted and all well

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.