Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/6th Scale Open Fishing Punt with outboard  (Read 905 times)

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
1/6th Scale Open Fishing Punt with outboard
« on: April 23, 2022, 04:24:39 pm »

Having been playing around with 3D printable outboard motors design by Christian Pomeroy, I decided I needed to build a boat to put one the outboards on. As it is a working outboard, and approximately at 1/6 scale, a simple rowing/fishing boat seemed appropriate.

A number of years ago I came across a website full of boat plans for full size boats you could build using 2 or 3 sheets of plywood. If you're interested, google Hannu's Boatyard and you'll see his various designs. I had build a 12 foot skiff in my garage and decided to use one of his designs as the basis for my model boat. I took his 15 feet 9 inches fishing punt and scaled it down. The frames were cut from 6mm ply, the sides are 1.5mm ply and the bottom is 3mm ply. Seating and fittings are 3mm ply and all additional fittings are 3D printed, except for the fish, which come from a fishing lure, and the fishing rods, made from swing tips.

The rear seat is hinged and houses the receiver, a 30amp brushless speed controller and a 1500 mah, 2 cell lipo battery. The boat can run for well over 90 minutes on that setup, and as the outboard produced more thrust than I was expecting I have limited the top end throttle to 60%.

She runs great and is popular with the kids that come by the boating pond in Basingstoke. All in all I am very pleased with her. She was finished to look like she was built by her two owners in their garage (my excuse for being lazy in the paint work). Crew/owners courtesy of a couple of action man figures found on Ebay.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/6th Scale Open Fishing Punt with outboard
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:17:56 pm »

Lovely job. I definately want to try one of these outboards. Can I ask motor size and  kv?
 I have ended up using high kv motors in my outboards when I should have used low. The motors were bought for another project, it was only when I was looking at the (other) open source outboard that I found I already had motors to fit. They rev to 50000rpm on 11.1v!
I fitted small props and wasnt going for full revs for long anyway. I had been warned of high amps if I went for the voltage/prop size I already tried in my Sea Rover. It did get warm, but I never ran it for long.

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 09:52:23 pm »

Hi Andy,

The motors in my outboards are A2212 and I tend to use either the 1000kv or the 930kv. I started out with the 1400kv but it was massively overpowered. The rowing boat has a 1000kv motor and I never take it over 60% throttle. I also run my little outboard on a 7.4v 2s lipo, just a 1500mAh one, and I get very good run times. These outboards are definitely more leisurely than the ones you are working with and more suited to a sedate potter around the lake  :-)

Carl

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 02:37:31 pm »

Hi, I had a look on the website, some nice possible projects.
I noticed something he said about how the woodwork always takes less time than the painting, which I never actually thought about before. My depron hydro never needed a lot of paint, only the wooden areas, so this was an exception.
I want to build a fishing style boat for some action men I got for very, very cheap on ebay.
I have a dewalt cordless drill motor ready for action when I decide what style of boat I am going for.
The action man in my Javelin has rc head turning, I would like to get an arm moving too,  it might be just a case of cutting the arm and adding brass loop joints instead of his stiff plastic ones, to allow the arm to be connected to a steering wheel, tiller or outboard handle. A nice fishing jumper would hide the arm joints.

Your boat has sent me off on the path to yet another project. 😁

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.