Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronize speed controllers  (Read 1995 times)

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
Electronize speed controllers
« on: May 02, 2022, 11:44:17 am »

Hi all,
 Is there anyone out there that can repair or advise about how to fix Electronize speed controllers or any other makes that use relays like CE Systems and Maplin types ?
I have several Electronize that have stopped working, mostly 43x type with black base plates. Some cannot keep neutral, some only run one way and some run OK then fail to run ahead after a short time. I have some of the old C E System ones that are also in similar trouble. I have used Electronize for years, some built from kits and some bought in second hand, I always liked them. I know Electronize are not in production now but (might) repair the gold base versions but I would like to get them sorted if financially viable.
many thanks  17-09

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Electronize speed controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 12:41:48 pm »

Hi sadly Electronize is no longer trading. If your units are really old certain items will no longer be available making any repairs very difficult.With regards to speed controllers fitted with relays none on the market that i know of hope this helps.

Stan. :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 01:27:55 pm »

Thank you Stan,
 We had a chap in our club who used to repair them, however I know sometimes its just the mosfet or relay that goes which is an easy fix but not really knowing how to do the job makes these units only ready for the bin which is a shame, I have so many I would gladly rob some to fix others.
I thought there would be some electronic expert members out there who could do a quick tutorial or a
checklist to try and get them going again.
 Thanks
 Alan 17-09

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 04:13:20 pm »

Hi ya there

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.   I would have put a tutorial on here as to how to fix them - but - there are too many 'experts' on here who jump in and say that isn't the way to fix them - but they never come forward and tell you how to fix them themselves.  Have a look through the Forum though I did several builds of Electronize and ACTion units a while ago.   

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 09:12:10 pm »

HI Guys I hope you find someone to repair your problem speed controllers. The down side is some of the components may no longer be available and if they are may cost the earth. Could you check the chips in your speed controllers and see if they are marked ZN409 if so these are long gone. The later models carried no marking on the chips. I may sound little negative but we have to face the facts that it may not be possible to get these units working again. We all now live in world where things are not repaired just thrown away this applies also to the model world sadly.

Mosfets

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 07:03:01 pm »

Whilst I have no experience with the Electronize controllers or its schematics I have built a few of the Maplin style. I note from the pictures in the current Model Boats magazine the controllers do seem to use presets to adjust the deadband/neutral position and min/max speed. Have you tried noting their position then turning them backward  and forwards a few times before returning to their original position? The tracks on presets can sometimes get 'dirty' with age and can cause issues, that would be my first port of call.

To understand how this style of controller works it may be worth visiting:[size=78%] [/size]
[size=78%]https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Mapelin/Maplin_Projects_Book_45.pdf[/size]  see pages 22-28
[size=78%]https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Mapelin/Maplin-Electronics-1984-09-11.pdf[/size]  see pages 44-46 (also has a project fault finding guide)
[size=78%]https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Everyday-Electronics/80s/Everyday-Electronics-1980-03.pdf[/size]  pages 188-191

As to advice on how to repair that would all depend on how proficient you are in electronics, if you need to get tooled up to do the repairs then it would likely be uneconomical. If there is no one locally that can help then shipping costs to a willing volunteer further a field would also play a factor in the economics.

I probably have not helped you much but hope the articles may give you some insight to the workings of your units.

Regards

Adrian

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 04:27:23 pm »

Hello Adrian - interesting that you should bring up the Maplin's speed controller.   A while ago I etched a few circuit boards for the Maplin controller.   I actually built several and one of them I made to fit into Glyn Guests model of HMS Penelope just to keep it in line with the vintage style.    I am busy at the moment using the Radio Control Boat Modeller Magazine (Jan/Feb 1991) as a reference and see if our Mr Bishop recalls this - as he wrote an article for this magazine Maplin's speed controller - he built the kit for the magazine  :-))

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 04:40:15 pm »

HI Guys I have no wish to dampen your enthusiasm for the Maplins speed controllers they were fine controllers on the day. I think I may have two in my collection.  These early controllers used a ZN 409 chip and they may be hard to find along with other semiconductors for this device.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 04:58:47 pm »

zn409ce semiconductor -: Search Result | eBay 

Stan
It's not what you know, it's knowing where to look  %) ;)

some of us just love to make stuff for nostalgia - it may be 'rubbish' by modern day standards - but - we love it and like to do stuff like this.

John

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 05:21:00 pm »

Hi John I admire your efforts using the old speed controllers and I have no wish to dissuade you from using them. Personally I have moved on from those early speed controllers that's not to say i did not use them in the past to great effect.

Stan.

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 07:36:00 pm »

For the electronic hobbyist they were a cheap solution for speed controllers in their day. I still have three of the very early Maplin style in boats and whilst they still work, there they will stay.

Did not realise how much the ZN409 IC were fetching, I must be in the money as I still have 4 in their original packets :-) .

I doubt I will build another but it is nice to reminisce of days gone by when these were the height of technology  ok2 .

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 10:47:05 am »

'bout the same time as the Maplin was the 'Pompey', still got one that I made, pre Mosfet design.

Regards  Ian.

And at 37 quid from one supplier for the 409 is why we don't DIY anymore.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 11:12:31 am »

I built a Maplin one which lasted for 20 years or more despite getting submerged at Mayhem in 2007.

One of the advantages of the Electronise and similar units was that they didn't have auto setup. This meant that with a twin screw model you could use  a switch on an RX channel to swap between both motors being controlled by the left stick to tank steering at the flick of a switch on the TX. My Fishery Cruiser uses this setup very effectively. With modern ESCs they take a few seconds to recalibrate when being swithched on and off which messes up the steering.

A rough wiring diagram below.

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 11:55:08 am »

The simple way round the recalibration problem on modern esc is to put the switch in the motor wires instead of the battery supply. You would probably nees a dual pole switch as each needs to be switched independantly.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 12:21:50 pm »

Interesting thought, I wonder if anyone has tried that. The switch would need to be capable of carrying the full operating current though.

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 08:08:24 pm »

Since you are basically using this for scale boats then the currents involved should be within the limits for a good microswitch. I used to use microswitches for fast electrics switching power to a racing 540 motor,would flatten a 2400mAh NiCd in under 5 minutes. I did have a model that used this system to aid steering by switching off the inside motor, the motors used were if I can remember Orbit 405s (that show how long ago it was.)

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 08:20:13 pm »

https://modelradioworkshop.co.uk/servicing/

Give Mike a ring. He has repaired fellow club members Electronize units in the past. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.