Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wicksteed at War Cancelled  (Read 2420 times)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Wicksteed at War Cancelled
« on: May 03, 2022, 03:49:26 pm »

Does anybody know why this show has been cancelled due to the conflict in the Ukraine? That's what their website says?

Is this PC gone mad or is there some underlying issue we are not aware of?

Thanks

Geoff

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Wicksteed at War Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 04:13:25 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 06:18:51 pm »

Unfortunately it is a sign of the times we are living in. A number of preservation railways have also cancelled their 'War' themed events. It is being deemed that it is inappropriate to be seen to be celebrating war.
The subject has been raised that now we have a number of refugees from Ukraine in the UK that it is possibly offensive to put an element of glamour into hostilities.
One wonders if the Goodwood 'Revival' in September will play down the war aspect and concentrate the event on purely on the motoring aspects of yesteryear.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 09:00:31 am »

What a load of twits! The people who make these decisions should be dismissed from their jobs! There would seem to be a plethora of people out there thinking up problems that don't exist!!

Utter nonsense! If we are not careful we will not be allowed to sail model warships in parks in case the sight upsets some poor sole, or may possibly upset someone at some point in time!

I can't really say what I think of such people and such decisions on here as this is a family forum but pretty sure you can guess how I feel!

Angry Geoff

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 09:36:15 am »

Doesn't seem that TV has been affected given the plethora of war based repeats at the moment.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 09:02:39 am »

I think sometimes these issues are raised by a public facing organization so that staff are not verbally assaulted, or otherwise harassed, by idiot members of the public.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 12:38:23 pm »

If so its a great pity they don't use their common sense. Its flawed logic because there is no other feedback. If the show is cancelled then people don't turn up to complain because the show is cancelled and there will be no one there to take the complaint! therefore the PC brigade win!!

I really can't imagine anyone complaining about Wicksteed at War offending anyone because there is a conflict going on in the Ukraine. I refer everyone to my earlier post!

Cheers

Geoff

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 05:21:54 pm »

I don't see anything on their website, or their facebook page that says cancelled.  :((

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 08:09:38 pm »

I don't see anything on their website, or their facebook page that says cancelled.  :((

It was cancelled as Geoff mentioned it to me last weekend and I was rather annoyed for them to cancel it with less than a months notice. It was cancelled on their main website page and the reason was due to the ongoing invasion of Ukraine.
Now I’ve gone to their website it says it’s on and on all of their other media outlets say so too. Whether they had a change of heart I don’t know but it was definitely cancelled last Sunday/Monday.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 01:04:15 am »

I can not understand why some people think that days, or events, commemorating those who died in the service of their country, are celebrating war. Anyone with any sense at all should realise that these days give us a chance to remember those who served, and be thankful for their sacrifice.

Lest we forget.

Peter.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 01:20:41 pm »

A little bird told me, 'it might be back on!'

https://wicksteedatwar.co.uk/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 01:52:55 pm »

Just caught this. Excellent news and it looks like common sense has prevailed but I bet it will cost visitors who haven't checked to see the show is back on.

Cheers

Geoff  :-))

David - Dry Dock 3D

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 02:32:16 pm »

Just caught this. Excellent news and it looks like common sense has prevailed but I bet it will cost visitors who haven't checked to see the show is back on.

Cheers

Geoff  :-))

I hope it stays on. I have a Ukrainian family living with me, and the little boy who is 11 is Obsessed with WW2 and he was so excited when I told him the event maybe happening.

He suffers with some PTSD issues regarding recent events, but that wont stop him running around identifying all the different soldiers and vehicles etc.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 03:13:46 pm »

I hope it stays on. I have a Ukrainian family living with me, and the little boy who is 11 is Obsessed with WW2 and he was so excited when I told him the event maybe happening.

He suffers with some PTSD issues regarding recent events, but that wont stop him running around identifying all the different soldiers and vehicles etc.

Well done sir!   :o :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 03:29:34 pm »

Still not sure what is going on with Wicksteed at War as one website says cancelled and the other says it’s going ahead.
Regardless of it being cancelled or not, Wicksteed Park Model Boat Club will be having a warship display day on the Sunday between 10am and 4pm. It will be to commemorate the Falklands War ending and hope to have some appropriate era warships on display and of course many other types. If you’d like to display and sail your boat please contact our club secretary on sec.wpmbc@aol.com
There’s another thread on this display in the club section put up by old gunner.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 04:07:32 pm »

Bring the young fellow and his family to the Wicksteed weekend. It will show that there can be a positive mix of military and non military subjects, and no one will be waving flags or chanting or chest beating because there are some military models sailing.

Perhaps some swearing at burnt fingers, wincing at sore heads or moaning because the bacon rolls have run out will happen, I don't know  :}
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.